Hello to Freethinkers

Hi,
I’m a member and attend some events at CFI in Amherst, NY. I recently retired from IT work at a bank and am hoping to participate and learn from discussions here.
I enjoy reading and listening to books on tape from authors such as Sagan, Nye and Dawkins.
My religious “education” was as a Catholic, Wesleyan Methodist (that was mind bending), then Presbyterian before becoming enlightened around age 50 after a lifetime of asking myself questions, such as “How could the Pope be infallible?”.
Current challenges are dealing with a 33 year born again son (who has 2 of our grandchildren). He has 3 college degrees (physics, astronomy and aviation engineering) and it is beyond disappointing how he allowed himself to be programmed by people he met at college and local friends who attend a born again Baptist church. This Christmas he told our 3 year old grandson there is no Santa Claus because he wanted the focus of Christmas to be on Jesus. He believes in the Bible literally including ridiculous stories such as Noah’s Arc.
I’d be interested in reading suggestions on books that dig into the reality of how the modern bible came to be, including how and when it was written, conferences, arguments and voting on its content.
Thanks for reading,
Brooks
P.S. I love the signature of one of the members here “You can’t have a rational discussion with someone who has irrational beliefs.” How true!

Welcome, Brooks. I can imagine how frustrated you must be with your son. It boggles the mind that someone so intelligent can fall for fairy tales. Take the advice in my msg line and don’t try to debate the issues with him. He’ll come around on his own when he is ready. Please jump into the threads and contribute.

That’s probably some good advice. At 33 I was still “programmed” although nowhere near the point that he is. It is somewhat ironic that is was him becoming born-again and their hard nosed views about “who is going to heaven” (answer: just them) that led me to think about which religion was the “right” one, realization that none were and into the real reasons that religions exist (inability to deal with death, power, money, ignorance, etc.).

I got my fill of religion in my early 20s. One of my friends challenged me to read Darwin’s book, so I did. Made me very unpopular at church, especially when I started asking pesky questions.

Yes, they are not much into questions of any sort. They think the answers to everything is in that “darn” book.

They gave me all manner of nonsense answers, especially when they told me God has jurisdiction over the heavens and Satan is active on Earth and put dinosaur fossils here to confuse us about evolution. When I asked why God put the light between the galaxies so the universe looks billions of years old they got all upset, prayed to release demons from my soul and suggested I leave.

Hi, I'm a member and attend some events at CFI in Amherst, NY. I recently retired from IT work at a bank and am hoping to participate and learn from discussions here. I enjoy reading and listening to books on tape from authors such as Sagan, Nye and Dawkins. My religious "education" was as a Catholic, Wesleyan Methodist (that was mind bending), then Presbyterian before becoming enlightened around age 50 after a lifetime of asking myself questions, such as "How could the Pope be infallible?". Current challenges are dealing with a 33 year born again son (who has 2 of our grandchildren). He has 3 college degrees (physics, astronomy and aviation engineering) and it is beyond disappointing how he allowed himself to be programmed by people he met at college and local friends who attend a born again Baptist church. This Christmas he told our 3 year old grandson there is no Santa Claus because he wanted the focus of Christmas to be on Jesus. He believes in the Bible literally including ridiculous stories such as Noah's Arc. I'd be interested in reading suggestions on books that dig into the reality of how the modern bible came to be, including how and when it was written, conferences, arguments and voting on its content. Thanks for reading, Brooks P.S. I love the signature of one of the members here "You can't have a rational discussion with someone who has irrational beliefs." How true!
There are several books and other resources on the Internet. Do a Google search for secular bible. skeptics bible or bible as literature. Also, New Testament as literature. You might start with Isaac Asimov's Guide to the Bible. Two volumes: Old Testament and New Testament. I'm sorry about your son, but if you are thinking of presenting him with a book, it will probably not work. I think the only thing you can do is say you don't accept religion as true and wait it out. Anything more specific will antagonize him. Lois

Thanks for the suggestions, Lois.
I will into Asimov. One of my favorite Sci-Fi authors. Also, incidentally, was a Mensan. :slight_smile:
No, the book was for me.
Brooks

Thanks for the suggestions, Lois. I will into Asimov. One of my favorite Sci-Fi authors. Also, incidentally, was a Mensan. :-) No, the book was for me. Brooks
Ok, good. Good luck. Lois