Eligibility for US Presidency

Sen. Ted Cruz, who has declared his candidacy for the presidency, was born in Canada to an American mother. Should he be considered eligible for the US Presidency?
No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.
Article II, Section 1, Clause 5

I was wondering the same thing. Even if he is a citizen he is not natural born if that means born in the U.S. and i seriously doubt he was a citizen at the time of the adoption of the constitution. I find it hard to believe that anyone (even an extremist like Cruz) would spend the money to start a campaign if they hadn’t already checked on the constitutionality of his eligibility. I will be curious to see if any constitutional scholars begin to show up on the political round tables to address this.

I was wondering the same thing. Even if he is a citizen he is not natural born if that means born in the U.S. and i seriously doubt he was a citizen at the time of the adoption of the constitution. I find it hard to believe that anyone (even an extremist like Cruz) would spend the money to start a campaign if they hadn't already checked on the constitutionality of his eligibility. I will be curious to see if any constitutional scholars begin to show up on the political round tables to address this.
There are two kinds of people. We are either fools or damn fools and we know where Cruz belongs and that crowd doesn't give a frigging damn about the Constitution unless it fits their desires. Even just a couple of days ago on the tube he called himslef a Constitutionalist, but opps, aparently he missed the qualification for POTUS.

Here’s my prediction, and we’ll see if it turns out to be true in the next few years: Ted Cruz will be elected president and another big terrorist attack will occur within a year of his election. The Patriot Act will then be re-upped with a vengeance, Iran will be suspected, and the US will invade. I hope I’m totally wrong, but I’m afraid I won’t be.

I was wondering the same thing. Even if he is a citizen he is not natural born if that means born in the U.S. and i seriously doubt he was a citizen at the time of the adoption of the constitution. I find it hard to believe that anyone (even an extremist like Cruz) would spend the money to start a campaign if they hadn't already checked on the constitutionality of his eligibility. I will be curious to see if any constitutional scholars begin to show up on the political round tables to address this.
You can be sure there won't be a "birther" movement. For one thing, Cruz isn't black and, of course, he's a Republican. In addition, if Cruz is considered a natural born citizen and eligible for the Presidency by virtue of the fact that his mother was a citizen at the time of his birth, then even if Obama had been born in Kenya, as the birthers ignorantly maintained, he would still have been eligible for the presidency because his mother was a US citozen when he was born. But, of course,, he is black. Lois
Here's my prediction, and we'll see if it turns out to be true in the next few years: Ted Cruz will be elected president and another big terrorist attack will occur within a year of his election. The Patriot Act will then be re-upped with a vengeance, Iran will be suspected, and the US will invade. I hope I'm totally wrong, but I'm afraid I won't be.
He won't be elected. The electorate can be stupid, but not that stupid. He's a religious extremist. In addition, he won't be the Republican candidate. However, Jeb Bush could be elected and the events you predict here might well happen. Lois

The term “natural born” (as used in the constitution), merely means that someone was born a U.S. citizen (naturalized at birth, rather than naturalized later). So, from a purely constitutional perspective, Ted Cruz is qualified to be president. (Of course, so are the vast majority of citizens over the age of 35.)
Whether he should be president, is a different matter.–Barring my developing a severe case of insanity between now and election day, there is no way that he will ever get my vote!
Setting aside the issue of Cruz for a moment; I do support removing the “natural born” clause from the constitution. An immigrant who’s been a long-time citizen, and has risen to the point of being seriously considered for the presidency, should not be barred just because that individual is an immigrant. Nor should the voters be barred from electing them.

No one seems to really be going after Cruz for his birth status though. I think it is because he is not considered a serious contender. In fact, the more he drives the GOP in his direction, the better it is for the Democratic Party.

I was wondering the same thing.
me three
No one seems to really be going after Cruz for his birth status though. I think it is because he is not considered a serious contender. In fact, the more he drives the GOP in his direction, the better it is for the Democratic Party.
shhhh saving the Birth Certificate issue for later in the campaign cycle - let him spend a few million first.

Donald Trump has come out saying Cruz can’t be President since he was born in Canada.

Donald Trump has come out saying Cruz can't be President since he was born in Canada.
And Trump can't be president because he's an idiot, though, I admit, it has happened before. Lois
And Trump can’t be president because he’s an idiot, though, I admit, it has happened before.
Bill Maher consistently states that Trump's mother was an Orangutan. If she was born in an American zoo would that make him eligible for the presidency? :lol: Cap't Jack
And Trump can’t be president because he’s an idiot, though, I admit, it has happened before.
Bill Maher consistently states that Trump's mother was an Orangutan. If she was born in an American zoo would that make him eligible for the presidency? :lol: Cap't Jack
As long as his mother was an orangutan with American citizenship. :lol: Lois
Here's my prediction, and we'll see if it turns out to be true in the next few years: Ted Cruz will be elected president and another big terrorist attack will occur within a year of his election. The Patriot Act will then be re-upped with a vengeance, Iran will be suspected, and the US will invade. I hope I'm totally wrong, but I'm afraid I won't be.
Calm down. Ted Cruz will not be elected President in 2016. If you want to be anxious, consider Scott Walker, who actually has a shot.
Whether he should be president, is a different matter.--Barring my developing a severe case of insanity between now and election day, there is no way that he will ever get my vote!
I noticed that you didn't broach the subject of Cruz being insane, or is that an automatic assumption?
Whether he should be president, is a different matter.--Barring my developing a severe case of insanity between now and election day, there is no way that he will ever get my vote!
I noticed that you didn't broach the subject of Cruz being insane, or is that an automatic assumption? Sanity has no place in American politics. Haven't you noticed? Lois
I noticed that you didn't broach the subject of Cruz being insane, or is that an automatic assumption? I think he's nuts, but I also think he's just a typical con-artist (like the stereotypical used car salesman, that tells you "This car is in great shape! It was only driven by a little old lady to church every Sunday!") :shut:
I noticed that you didn't broach the subject of Cruz being insane, or is that an automatic assumption? I think he's nuts, but I also think he's just a typical con-artist (like the stereotypical used car salesman, that tells you "This car is in great shape! It was only driven by a little old lady to church every Sunday!") :shut: Barack said that Ted recently compared himself to Galileo, but that it was not an apt comparison. Barack said that Galileo thought that the Earth revolves around the sun, whereas, "Ted Cruz thinks that everything revolves around... Ted Cruz." I would add that he's sort of ugly. Not that this should disqualify him from running for President. I'm just saying that he is not a very handsome man in any respects. I mean, he dresses okay, and his hygiene is probably acceptable, and all. I'm just saying, he's a homely man. (But his political views are much uglier.) IMO.