Quote by a modern era US President

“No, I don’t know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.”

George Bush, Sr., 8/27/87
Wow, I never suspected that my deficiencies of superstitious beliefs, disqualified me as a citizen and a patriot.

Lets hope he has evolved since making that remark

Lets hope he has evolved since making that remark
I doubt it. Some people are too stupid to evolve. Lois

Bush is old news, focus your attention on this guy who blames ALL of America’s ills on atheists and who tried to unseat Bohener for Speaker. Just imagine that! He’s also a climate change denier. Ladys and gentlemen, I give you Mr. teabagger, Loooooouuuuuieee Gohmert!

Cap’t Jack

Bush is old news, focus your attention on this guy who blames ALL of America's ills on atheists and who tried to unseat Bohener for Speaker. Just imagine that! He's also a climate change denier. Ladys and gentlemen, I give you Mr. teabagger, Loooooouuuuuieee Gohmert! http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2014/07/10/rep-louie-gohmert-who-thinks-climate-change-is-a-hoax-explains-why-atheists-are-intellectual-inferior/ Cap't Jack
He's not President, though, and he never will be. He'll never be anything but a two-bit blow-hard politician. Lois
He’s not President, though, and he never will be. He’ll never be anything but a two-bit blow-hard politician.
No, and hopefully he never will be but that's not my point. Bush can't directly influence legislation but he, Ted Cruz and the rest of their teabagger buddies can and will at least attempt it, e.g. The Keystone pipeline, backing faith based organizations, continued blockage of legislation aimed at curtailing AGW, destroying AHC and reversing Civil Rights to name a few. Their ilk still lurk in the halls of Congress and will continuously be a pain in the ass to Boehner and McConnell. And we are the devil incarnate to them. I blame their constituents for giving them the power. They would elect Ted Nugent as Pres.and Chuck Norris as VP. if they could. Cap't Jack
He’s not President, though, and he never will be. He’ll never be anything but a two-bit blow-hard politician.
No, and hopefully he never will be but that's not my point. Bush can't directly influence legislation but he, Ted Cruz and the rest of their teabagger buddies can and will at least attempt it, e.g. The Keystone pipeline, backing faith based organizations, continued blockage of legislation aimed at curtailing AGW, destroying AHC and reversing Civil Rights to name a few. Their ilk still lurk in the halls of Congress and will continuously be a pain in the ass to Boehner and McConnell. And we are the devil incarnate to them. I blame their constituents for giving them the power. They would elect Ted Nugent as Pres.and Chuck Norris as VP. if they could. Cap't Jack
What does that have o do with Bush's quote: “No, I don’t know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
What does that have o do with Bush’s quote:
Absolutely nothing except that we shouldn't fret over misguided quotes from former officeholders now incapable of actually legislating away our rights or maligning us as "unAmerican", but those I have mentioned have the power to do just that and they should be called out for it. I digressed for a purpose. Cap't Jack
Bush is old news, focus your attention on this guy who blames ALL of America's ills on atheists and who tried to unseat Bohener for Speaker. Just imagine that! He's also a climate change denier. Ladys and gentlemen, I give you Mr. teabagger, Loooooouuuuuieee Gohmert! http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2014/07/10/rep-louie-gohmert-who-thinks-climate-change-is-a-hoax-explains-why-atheists-are-intellectual-inferior/ Cap't Jack
The awful truth is that Louie is representative of a relatively large portion of the US population who incalcitrantly believe in nonsense.
The awful truth is that Louie is representative of a relatively large portion of the US population who incalcitrantly believe in nonsense.
I don't want to sound too stereotypical (heaven knows our region has suffered through that for over a Century) but there's gotta be some blue Texans down there who can fight to prevent these ultra conservatives from seizing power. And what about the immigrant vote? Do those who are eligible vote for Louie and his clown posse? Cap't Jack
I don't want to sound too stereotypical (heaven knows our region has suffered through that for over a Century) but there's gotta be some blue Texans down there who can fight to prevent these ultra conservatives from seizing power. And what about the immigrant vote? Do those who are eligible vote for Louie and his clown posse? Cap't Jack
From a relatively recent Gallup poll of 1000 people: "64 percent of Texas residents who say they are eligible to vote are Anglo, 19 percent are Hispanic and 13 percent are black." "27 percent of Hispanics in Texas identify with the GOP, the highest percentage since 2008 and 6 percent higher than elsewhere in the country" "The percentage of Hispanics who lean or identify themselves as Democrats dropped from 53 percent in 2008 to 46 percent in 2013." "61 percent (of Anglo voters) identify as Republicans." "Only 43 percent of Texas Hispanics said they were registered to vote, while 82 percent of Anglos and 77 percent of blacks said they were eligible to vote." ------- If you do the math, and combine that with the solidly Gerrymandered Republican control, combined with voter suppression tactics, combined with the futility of being a Democrat in Texas, combined with the religious groups who favor Republicans over Democrats, combined with the pro-gun population who are paranoid about Democrats taking their guns away... etc.... you can see how Texas will be a hotbed of ultra right-wing political nut-jobs, for years to come... although it grieves me to say so.
From a relatively recent Gallup poll of 1000 people: "64 percent of Texas residents who say they are eligible to vote are Anglo, 19 percent are Hispanic and 13 percent are black." "27 percent of Hispanics in Texas identify with the GOP, the highest percentage since 2008 and 6 percent higher than elsewhere in the country" "The percentage of Hispanics who lean or identify themselves as Democrats dropped from 53 percent in 2008 to 46 percent in 2013." "61 percent (of Anglo voters) identify as Republicans." "Only 43 percent of Texas Hispanics said they were registered to vote, while 82 percent of Anglos and 77 percent of blacks said they were eligible to vote." ------- If you do the math, and combine that with the solidly Gerrymandered Republican control, combined with voter suppression tactics, combined with the futility of being a Democrat in Texas, combined with the religious groups who favor Republicans over Democrats, combined with the pro-gun population who are paranoid about Democrats taking their guns away... etc.... you can see how Texas will be a hotbed of ultra right-wing political nut-jobs, for years to come... although it grieves me to say so. Isn't it that already? Lois
From a relatively recent Gallup poll of 1000 people: "64 percent of Texas residents who say they are eligible to vote are Anglo, 19 percent are Hispanic and 13 percent are black." "27 percent of Hispanics in Texas identify with the GOP, the highest percentage since 2008 and 6 percent higher than elsewhere in the country" "The percentage of Hispanics who lean or identify themselves as Democrats dropped from 53 percent in 2008 to 46 percent in 2013." "61 percent (of Anglo voters) identify as Republicans." "Only 43 percent of Texas Hispanics said they were registered to vote, while 82 percent of Anglos and 77 percent of blacks said they were eligible to vote." ------- If you do the math, and combine that with the solidly Gerrymandered Republican control, combined with voter suppression tactics, combined with the futility of being a Democrat in Texas, combined with the religious groups who favor Republicans over Democrats, combined with the pro-gun population who are paranoid about Democrats taking their guns away... etc.... you can see how Texas will be a hotbed of ultra right-wing political nut-jobs, for years to come... although it grieves me to say so. Isn't it that already? Lois Yes that's what we're saying, Lois, I was just explaining why it is unlikely to change politically, anytime soon.
———- If you do the math, and combine that with the solidly Gerrymandered Republican control, combined with voter suppression tactics, combined with the futility of being a Democrat in Texas, combined with the religious groups who favor Republicans over Democrats, combined with the pro-gun population who are paranoid about Democrats taking their guns away… etc…. you can see how Texas will be a hotbed of ultra right-wing political nut-jobs, for years to come… although it grieves me to say so.
Good lord, you might as well throw in secessionists as well. What about the demographics in high population areas? Surely there's a liberal camp there. In our area the conservatives can be found in the rural communities whereas in major cities it's either mixed or moderate-liberal. Are we doomed to have all red vs. all blue states? If this happens then we really are doomed. Also, I read that the Tesla will be banned from sales in Texas. These next two years are going to be rocky indeed. Cap't Jack
———- If you do the math, and combine that with the solidly Gerrymandered Republican control, combined with voter suppression tactics, combined with the futility of being a Democrat in Texas, combined with the religious groups who favor Republicans over Democrats, combined with the pro-gun population who are paranoid about Democrats taking their guns away… etc…. you can see how Texas will be a hotbed of ultra right-wing political nut-jobs, for years to come… although it grieves me to say so.
Good lord, you might as well throw in secessionists as well. What about the demographics in high population areas? Surely there's a liberal camp there. In our area the conservatives can be found in the rural communities whereas in major cities it's either mixed or moderate-liberal. Are we doomed to have all red vs. all blue states? If this happens then we really are doomed. Also, I read that the Tesla will be banned from sales in Texas. These next two years are going to be rocky indeed. Cap't Jack
Austin and San Antonio are blue or bluish, I think. I hadn't heard about Tesla, but am not surprised by any political insanity, here, these days. There are new toll roads going up, all over, faster than Starbucks in its heyday.