Did Jusitce Scalia die from marijuana being illegal?

My conjecture, based on what little we have been told, along with my sense of irony says: “Indubitably.”
Here’s what we have been told. Scalia was on a quail hunting trip in the middle of nowhere southwest Texas. He had a day of quail hunting followed by an evening of pleasant socializing. At 9 pm, he excused himself saying that he needed to get some extra rest. An associate said that Scalia had confided that he wasn’t feeling well.
Scalia was found dead in his bed the next day, with no sign of a struggle or anything out of sorts. He was declared dead by a justice of the peace, over the phone, after the JP had spoken with people on the scene and Scalia’s personal physician.
The physician is said to have reported that Scalia was being treated for high blood pressure, that Scalia had a shoulder problem, that could not be operated on, because he also had a heart condition.
Here’s the conjecture: When someone fires a shotgun, even once, if not done correctly, it can result in shoulder pain. If someone already has a problem with their shoulder and they fire a shotgun, repeatedly, even correctly, it could result in shoulder pain. Scalia probably had shoulder pain last Saturday evening. Did he also have with him a prn prescription for pain? He had a shoulder condition, he had good medical insurance, he was going quail hunting. So my guess is, yes. Was it a powerful pain medicine? Probably. Did Scalia take a powerful pain medicine Saturday evening? Quite possibly. Did he also do some social drinking and then go to sleep?
Drinking alcohol, taking a powerful pain medicine, and going to sleep is a poor judgment. Because it can suppress breathing and you don’t want your breathing to be suppressed, especially when you have an underlying heart condition. Breathing is always important.
In the middle of nowhere southwest Texas, there is not a lot to do other than drink and socialize on a Saturday night. (Well, you could also smoke pot, if you are not a radical right wing Supreme Court Justice).
Here is my contention, if my conjecture is correct: If marijuana were legal, Scalia could have substituted marijuana for either the pain pill/s or the alcohol, and he might very well, still be alive today, to continue to wreak the perfidy of his impact on the law of our land.
He could have gotten stoned enough that the pain would have been irrelevant enough, that he did not need a pain pill. Or he could have used a pain pill, but not used alcohol as a social lubricant, but used marijuana, instead. In either case, when he went to sleep, without the combination of alcohol and pain pill, his breathing would not have been significantly suppressed.
Thus I think that Justice Scalia may have very well died from marijuana being illegal.
It was decided that there would be no autopsy, after this unexpected death of one of the most powerful men in the world, so I say conjecture is fair game.

That’s a whole lot of “ifs” with no evidence. Makes sense, but you need to back your assumption.

That's a whole lot of "ifs" with no evidence. Makes sense, but you need to back your assumption.
If I had presented it as what actually happened, I would need evidence. I presented it as a reasonable conjecture, in the absence of evidence. It's not my fault that no autopsy was done. But somebody knows whether Scalia was drinking alcohol that evening. And somebody knows whether he had a powerful pain pill prescription available to him. We, however, may never know.

To be fair, Scalia’s death may not have been so unexpected to the small population of people who may have known that he had an underlying heart condition. But it was unexpected to the rest of the world. So no autopsy, leaves room open for, (what I consider to be reasonable) conjecture, like mine, as well as room for crazy conspiracy theories. I have already heard one: Obama covertly assassinated Scalia, and his next target is Trump, followed (for some strange reason) by Ron Paul.

To be fair, Scalia's death may not have been so unexpected to the small population of people who may have known that he had an underlying heart condition. But it was unexpected to the rest of the world. So no autopsy, leaves room open for, (what I consider to be reasonable) conjecture, like mine, as well as room for crazy conspiracy theories. I have already heard one: Obama covertly assassinated Scalia, and his next target is Trump, followed (for some strange reason) by Ron Paul.
This is just hairsplitting....it wasn't really unexpected. It was shocking I guess because of his fame. That's what happens to thousands of 79 year old overweight people everyday. They die. Hell, they don't even have to be overweight..but it helps.
To be fair, Scalia's death may not have been so unexpected to the small population of people who may have known that he had an underlying heart condition. But it was unexpected to the rest of the world. So no autopsy, leaves room open for, (what I consider to be reasonable) conjecture, like mine, as well as room for crazy conspiracy theories. I have already heard one: Obama covertly assassinated Scalia, and his next target is Trump, followed (for some strange reason) by Ron Paul.
This is just hairsplitting....it wasn't really unexpected. It was shocking I guess because of his fame. That's what happens to thousands of 79 year old overweight people everyday. They die. Hell, they don't even have to be overweight..but it helps. Sure old people die, but they are not all the most radically conservative of Supreme Court Justices. Most old people are not so universally hated. An autopsy and toxicology report should have been done.
Sure old people die, but they are not all the most radically conservative of Supreme Court Justices. Most old people are not so universally hated. An autopsy and toxicology report should have been done.
Well go sneak into the Hall Of Justice and get a blood test. They're going to let his body sit in there in repose. What an honor. :lol: I hear the CEOs of many major corps are going to line up in there and kiss his cold, dead ass!

TimB, your conjecture makes sense, especially compared with the silly conspiracy theories making the rounds. The Republicans are in full paranoid delusional melt down mode over this SC vacancy.

Its doubtful Scalia was the type to smoke weed (even if it was legal) so no, he didn’t die from it being illegal.
Regarding an autopsy - he was a Sicilian catholic. They don’t do autopsies.

Its doubtful Scalia was the type to smoke weed (even if it was legal) so no, he didn't die from it being illegal. Regarding an autopsy - he was a Sicilian catholic. They don't do autopsies.
Really? Sicilian Catholics don't do autopsies. I did not know that. I wonder how that is more religiously intrusive than embalming. (Scalia has been embalmed, BTW, thus a toxicology test would be questionable at this point.) Does the not doing autopsies thing have to do with Sicilian Catholics once being associated with mobsters, who might have their own reasons for not wanting autopsies? As far as someone not using a legal substance that is less dangerous than another legal substance to achieve similar ends, that seems rather silly to me. What? Would he be afraid that he would automatically turn into Tommy Chong, if he smoked a joint?
Its doubtful Scalia was the type to smoke weed (even if it was legal) so no, he didn't die from it being illegal. Regarding an autopsy - he was a Sicilian catholic. They don't do autopsies.
Really? Sicilian Catholics don't do autopsies. I did not know that. I wonder how that is more religiously intrusive than embalming. (Scalia has been embalmed, BTW, thus a toxicology test would be questionable at this point.) Does the not doing autopsies thing have to do with Sicilian Catholics once being associated with mobsters, who might have their own reasons for not wanting autopsies? :lol: Good one. Nah, it's mainly about vanity and "respect". Italians in general are very concerned with appearances and tradition - "La Bella Figura". However, southern Italians have a lot of weird superstitions, and with Scalia being a first generation Sicilian immigrant, maybe he was raised with some of those?
As far as someone not using a legal substance that is less dangerous than another legal substance to achieve similar ends, that seems rather silly to me.What? Would he be afraid that he would automatically turn into Tommy Chong, if he smoked a joint?
Yeah, it doesn't make sense. It just difficult to imagine someone like him smoking up.

Scalia might still be alive if he had visited Terlingua instead of Marfa.

OK never thought I would say this. If marijuana was legal we would still have Justice Scalia. Then it should stay illegal. I know how to find it if I want it.
I live in Colorado. ;-)
Scalia might still be alive if he had visited Terlingua instead of Marfa.
I've only visited Marfa, once,... just long enough to see the ghost lights. But I suspect that they have marijuana there, as well.