Justice Scalia: 'Start Calling This Law SCOTUScare'

Is this guy (who helped bring us the Bush/Cheney NewAmericanCentury with all it’s self-destructive insanity) like the biggest ass hole around.

Justice Scalia: 'Start Calling This Law SCOTUScare' http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/Scalia-Supreme-Court-SCOTUScare/2015/06/25/id/652159/#ixzz3e6mr8HXV Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia unleashed his famously deft touch with words Thursday in his biting dissent of the High Court's ruling that Obamacare tax credits are legal. "Today's interpretation is not merely unnatural; it is unheard of," Scalia wrote, according to The Huffington Post. "We should start calling this law SCOTUScare." The justice, according to Huffington Post, manifested his "penchant for literary drama" in the dissenting opinion. The court voted 6-to-3 to uphold tax subsidies to Americans who purchase their health insurance on the federal exchange rather than one created by the state. "This case requires us to decide whether someone who buys insurance on an Exchange established by the Secretary gets tax credits," he wrote. "You would think the answer would be obvious -- so obvious there would hardly be a need for the Supreme Court to hear a case about it," Scalia wrote, adding that the ruling was "the Court's next bit of interpretive jiggery-pokery."

Jiggery-pokery from a man who “believes” in eating his own God every time he attends his church and who thinks that abortion should be outlawed because the framers of the Constitution didn’t mention it, end of story and there you have it.
Cap’t Jack

It would be nice if someone could “un-subsidize” Scalia’s healthcare so he would have to leave and get a job where he could do less harm. Every time I hear one of his decisions or comments I can’t help but think he is the most irrational member of the SCOTUS

Scalia outdid even himself with his dissenting opinion on the same-sex marriage opinion handed down today. The only encouraging thing is that it tells all Americans, regardless of their level of intelligence, that any idiot has a shot at being on the Supreme Court.

Scalia called the decision a “threat to American democracy," saying it was “constitutional revision by an unelected committee of nine."
What does he call all the other decisions of the Court, including the ones he voted for? Maybe he’s calling for a disbanding of the Supreme Court? He should be the first to offer to go.

I completely and enthusiastically support the Affordable Care Act. In my limited understanding, the Supreme Court case was really an issue which never was about anything more than poor editing. However, I found the time to read part of Justice Scaliea’s dissent and was surprised to find myself having some degree of agreement with his initial section. He seems to object to the Federal Govt. claiming it can mandate the purchase of insurance under the commerce clause, making the point that if someone has not bought insurance they have not engaged in commerce and so cannot be regulated or required to participate using that clause as justification. Apparently, if you are not growing wheat, the federal government’s right to regulate commerce cannot be used to force you to grow wheat. I’m OK with that.
I think Justice Bader’s argument that the people who want to opt out now, are actually only waiting until they have to opt in, so that forcing them into the system is a way of dealing with a free rider problem has some weight, but I wonder if that could raise some issues with allowing religious groups to opt out. Can they guarantee non of their members will ever leave?, if they do leave, are they liable for back payments? (I checked into that and apparently there is some system of auditing the Amish, but why can’t other groups or individuals have access to that auditing process. Is it arguable that the Amish are getting special treatment because they are a religious group? That would be bad.)

But, it seems to me that the only reason that Scalia’s argument has any legs is because we don’t consider basic healthcare a right in this country. If it was a right, we would have to make it accessible to all citizens with some degree of equality. In that instance, it seems that treating insurance costs as a tax the government may impose to provide that right is pretty straightforward. I think a lot of the issue is that the A.C.A is neither fish nor fowl. It’s not really true commerce if all citizens are required to purchase health care, but if we refuse to define health care as right, it is hard to justify forcing people to participate.
Most of this travail could have been avoided if initially we only could have gone farther with this legislation
Anyway I’m happy today! Bet no one will have much trouble figuring out if I’d like to see a single payer system.

...that any idiot has a shot at being on the Supreme Court.
Agreed. And the more people who realize SCOTUS shouldn't be revered as it has been, the better. We need as many nails in the coffin of American Exceptionalism as we can.
It would be nice if someone could "un-subsidize" Scalia's healthcare so he would have to leave and get a job where he could do less harm. Every time I hear one of his decisions or comments I can't help but think he is the most irrational member of the SCOTUS
Great idea, if only we could. We need a citizen's Supreme Court. Imagine! Lois
I completely and enthusiastically support the Affordable Care Act. In my limited understanding, the Supreme Court case was really an issue which never was about anything more than poor editing. However, I found the time to read part of Justice Scaliea's dissent and was surprised to find myself having some degree of agreement with his initial section. He seems to object to the Federal Govt. claiming it can mandate the purchase of insurance under the commerce clause, making the point that if someone has not bought insurance they have not engaged in commerce and so cannot be regulated or required to participate using that clause as justification. Apparently, if you are not growing wheat, the federal government's right to regulate commerce cannot be used to force you to grow wheat. I'm OK with that. I think Justice Bader's argument that the people who want to opt out now, are actually only waiting until they have to opt in, so that forcing them into the system is a way of dealing with a free rider problem has some weight, but I wonder if that could raise some issues with allowing religious groups to opt out. Can they guarantee non of their members will ever leave?, if they do leave, are they liable for back payments? (I checked into that and apparently there is some system of auditing the Amish, but why can't other groups or individuals have access to that auditing process. Is it arguable that the Amish are getting special treatment because they are a religious group? That would be bad.) But, it seems to me that the only reason that Scalia's argument has any legs is because we don't consider basic healthcare a right in this country. If it was a right, we would have to make it accessible to all citizens with some degree of equality. In that instance, it seems that treating insurance costs as a tax the government may impose to provide that right is pretty straightforward. I think a lot of the issue is that the A.C.A is neither fish nor fowl. It's not really true commerce if all citizens are required to purchase health care, but if we refuse to define health care as right, it is hard to justify forcing people to participate. Most of this travail could have been avoided if initially we only could have gone farther with this legislation Anyway I'm happy today! Bet no one will have much trouble figuring out if I'd like to see a single payer system.
Jeciron, I'll admit, I have not read the decision and you made some good points. The main thing I was ranting about was Scalia's penchant for feeding American divisiveness. and his aura of absolutism and superiority doesn't score any points either. Well, there's also that putting Bush in the White House followed by reducing America's electorate proceed to a bidding war between those with the deepest pockets. But those go beyond disgusting and cross over into Treason Territory, not that anyone will do anything about it. As for this Obamacare - I think it's a great idea, unfortunately with the neo-Republicans ruthless hatred of it and their dedication to undermining the effort in every way possible, I don't expect too much.