Cuteness is weakness

Because they don’t. It’s times like these that make me see how limited words can really be.

Xain said; To be cute is to be weak and helpless, humans find things cute because our infants are the same. It’s not a strength to be called or found cute. You forget cute is a human thing. Your efforts only work because of the mercy of others, and you are a fool to think this is “wrapped around your finger”.
You must not believe in evolution and natural selection, do you?
You are trying to equate what animals do with appearance and trying to apply that to humans and it fails because the parallels aren’t the same.
Oh yes they are, there are plenty of examples of animal compassion and assisting in the survival of other species. Adoption of babies is not unusual in the animal world. You know why? Because a lot of animals, especially mammals can identify with babies who are cute and helpless.

You are not qualified in any of these natural sciences to offer any opinion on animal behaviors. You advertise your ignorance as if it were an asset. It isn’t.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr8B0yb9y8Y

Animal friendships. A friend in need is a friend indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-evijx5cX2k

Xian, the only reason you say animals don’t apply is because you don’t want them to apply or rather you don’t want to see any relationship between the human animal and other animals. It definitely applies, all these behaviours (including cuteness) do apply to survival, and cuteness is not crippling, but part of survival. Where you get your ideas I have no idea, but if you ever study psychology you will see that the parallels are the same. Even Jane Goodall can tell you what I’ve been telling you, maybe even better than I in which you would understand them. As Write4U pointed out, it’s all part of Evolution and Natural Selection. Other animals are more like us than unalike. There are many topics on other animals showing emotions like the human animal. Other animals show empathy, even act cute to get attention, and mourn their dead. So the parallels between the human animal and other animals are very much there.

Here’s a link on cuteness and survival: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1364661316300420

More on how it is a survival mechanism and is a “long lasting pro-social behaviour”: http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2016-06-07-babies-dont-just-look-cute-scientists-find

So, as I was saying, cuteness is not a weakness, but rather a survival mechanism, as I mentioned, in which to get the attention one needs- be it satiating hunger or getting something off a high shelf. Nothing crippling about it at all, because, without cuteness, one would be crippled or worse… dead.

Lastly, the stimuli involved with cuteness that I mentioned: https://knowingneurons.com/2016/10/26/cuteness/

Dopamine is the key ingredient here and something that needs stimulating to boost one’s mood.

Oh yes they are, there are plenty of examples of animal compassion and assisting in the survival of other species. Adoption of babies is not unusual in the animal world. You know why? Because a lot of animals, especially mammals can identify with babies who are cute and helpless.

You are not qualified in any of these natural sciences to offer any opinion on animal behaviors. You advertise your ignorance as if it were an asset. It isn’t.

To call it compassion would be wrong since one cannot get into the mind of the animal to find out. It has NOTHING to do with empathy but is rooted in survival, though the most common cases seem to be among domestic animals. But really it’s just instinct, not compassion or empathy or any human nonsense you THINK is on there. So…wrong again.

You provide a bunch of links that prove my point that cuteness is weakness. Human babies are such because they cannot do anything on their own and as such their “cuteness” drives us to care for them. So to find something cute implies it to be helpless like a baby or likens it to such if it bears traits like it. It elicits the same sort of power dynamic as well, that of the protector or caregiver to the “lowly” being. It’s also worth noting that cuteness is a judgment.

It’s why I can’t stand it because I don’t like to be called adorable or cute even though that consistently happens. I’m not a child or weak even though I have a baby face. So I end up getting the pity treatment (or the “awww” factor) from people because of it. It’s degrading and condescending.

No Xian they didn’t prove your point at all. It is a survival technique that everyone is born with, not a weakness. Without cuteness no one would care for anyone. It’s a strength to have it. You can’t stand it because you don’t want to care for anyone except yourself. I’m surprised you’ve survived this long with the weakness of not having it. Then again, the lone wolf somehow manages to survive, but they do care for their young, unlike what you’d do to them. No one would survive very long around you. I don’t pity you. I don’t think you should have children though because you’d ignore they survival behaviours, calling them weaknesses, when they are actually strengths. Either that or you’d call the baby’s working their lung muscles to strengthen their lungs a weakness, even though it’s a good exercise. You’d call the scream that demands you to satiate hunger a weakness, when it’s actually a strength and a means of survival. What is a weakness is not being able to demand one be fed, because one doesn’t demand, one parishes. The same goes with lack of cuteness, without that strength one dies.

Without empathy, we don’t survive either. I don’t know why you deny science, but we have the very same “instincts” as you call it, as other animals. Humans ARE animals. You can call me wrong all you want, but science says differently and even Jane Goodall would tell you that you’re wrong about other animals. It’s not just domesticated animals that have cuteness and empathy for survival skills. It’s all animals, including the human animal. You can call it instinct if you want, but that just means that the human animal has that instinct too.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/12117501/Animals-more-capable-of-empathy-than-previously-thought-study-finds.html

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/the_evolution_of_empathy

http://factsanddetails.com/asian/cat68/sub431/item2471.html

Mourning death isn’t instinct, but elephants, whales, and dolphins, who are the aquatic equivalent to human intelligence, have the ability to mourn their dead, just like the human animals do.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2016/08/elephants-mourning-video-animal-grief/

So basically, other animals, especially mammals are very much like the human animal in behaviours. You can blow it off as instinct, but that just means the human animal has the very same instinct, because human are animals. Humans are mammalian animals. What you call nonsense, is scientific fact.

Here are links about our nearest cousins, that you deny having survival skills, which includes cuteness, like humans do, calling it just instinct. They look a lot like us, only with more fur, as I said when I was kid, and the truth is, they are 98% genetically similar to us. Read the sites. You might learn something about our cousins.

https://www.janegoodall.org/ (Jane Goodall’s site)

http://www.greatapeproject.uk/fivegreatprimates.html

On this site, you can take the Gorilla Personality test (under ‘learning and fun’ and find out what sort of gorilla you are.

https://gorillafund.org/who-we-are/dian-fossey/

If Dian Fossey wasn’t murder by the human animal, she would tell you, just as Jane Goodall would tell you, humans are very much like animals and are animals. So all the behaviour science concerning other animals very much applies to humans too. Even Skinner used a Skinner box to learn about human behaviours through animals.

In other words Evolution is real.

We can not consider any human trait without also appreciating their reflection in other animals and Evolutionary Roots - if you do, you’re lost in lalaland, plain and simple.

@Mriana: No Xian they didn’t prove your point at all. It is a survival technique that everyone is born with, not a weakness. Without cuteness no one would care for anyone. It’s a strength to have it.
Of course if you are an Island All To Yourself and everything in the world is "outside" of and "beyond" your grand "independent" soul - then none of that applies. Of course, that would mean being a one-dimensional cartoon character, but hey, it's good enough for our president, guess it good enough for X?

Xain, do you dismiss that the way you interact with people impacts them also? Do you have any obligations to anything beyond your own bellybutton gazing? Do other people matter in your universe? Not trying to be pissy, just being straightforward and curious.

Exactly, CitizenChallenge (with both your posts).

@Xain,

Have you ever had a pet or worked with animals for any extended time?

https://youtu.be/T6K5mQ_BR6g

And yes I understand that my whole life is just a blink of an eye
in the history of the earth, as with each moment that goes by
but this moment that I’m with you
It feels like time has stood still
It feels somehow like it matters
And that it always will

It’s crazy reading X from my perspective.

I mean a year ago I’m going along minding my own business, and then one day there is this tiny little infant in my life. Nine months later, every time His Cuteness interacts with me for a few days, or a couple weeks, we grow a deeper love. And me, a growing commitment and willingness to make sacrifices for His Royal Cuteness. You know His Cuteness can distract my thoughts from five hundred miles away. Weakness, x you silly boy, weakness indeed.

I wasn’t looking for it and already have plenty of children (well, at one time :slight_smile: in my life at all sorts of levels. So it’s not like I was lonely (intellectually lonely, sure, but that’s irrelevant). It’s just biology. Once a little one is in front of me I have a certain attitude, and certain way of behaving and thinking, that’s all there’s to it. I don’t even know what it is, it just happens, biology and instinct through my mind’s various filters.

It’s too pointless and counter-productive to try and figure it out, it’s much more productive just to live it honestly, let the rest flows from there, at least it’s taken me to amazing places and experiences. Experience, learn and refine the talents providence dealt out to us individually.

But it’s a reciprocal thing, without that little one accepting me and connecting, nothing would be happening. We don’t connect with everyone, but when we do, it matters that we pay attention. Then we best behave true and with honest dignity - for everyone’s future’s sake. Be it a baby, or an adult partner and lover.

The dignity of the moment and living to the best of one’s abilities. You know it ain’t like I’m a saint or that I don’t rack up my share of screw ups. It’s the strong threads of humanity between people makes that secondary, because we are all assholes at one time or another, if we are honest we live and learn, accept responsibility, face one’s own screw-ups rather than busying yourself with finding fault in others. So the simple things, that stories have tried to teach people since for ever. Buy 'em books and buy 'em books and all they do is eat the covers.

and so on and so forth.

It’s what heathy family and community is about - but who cares about that jazz these days ?

People can’t comprehend any of that if they’ve never lived it. Reality TV and virtual-reality worlds, what more do people need :expressionless:

Nothing matters, sure I appreciate a 30 year mortgage is a joke these days, if I think about it, it’s near devastating not being able to dream about our kid’s future young adult years as I reflect on my post high school adventures. Poor guy, if he’s still around at all, he’ll be busy with totally different problems. Do I spend my days going insane about that, great turn all worthless and pathetic, now that’s a good way to get through the day. I’d rather bring it on down to focusing on the moment, one day at a time, “don’t drop the baby” was our mantra for a few months there. Live with care, honesty, and as much dignity as one I can muster, then tomorrow has a way of taking care of itself. Face your mistakes, try to make it right, learn and move on.

After all, tomorrow depends on the momentum we build up today, which has depended on the momentum we built up during our yesterdays and years.

It’s tough to explain it to someone who isn’t absorbed with the act of living and observing others including the natural world around us.

There is such a huge world out here, but one must outgrown our bellybutton gazing phase, look up, get up and do it.

(that is, they were children at time) :slight_smile:

I’ve heard it said: A child is someone who disappears into an adult.

Just saw this at another thread, it's too good not to add here:
<blockquote>@Lennart H (Sweden):

"When I say I have a feeling that life has a meaning", I'm only talking about the feeling, not about some property of life.  Do you see the difference?

I can be mistaken on the properties of life, but not on my feelings.</blockquote>

Mriana, it’s just instinct, that’s all. You attribute to the situation more than what is really there.

Of course if you are an Island All To Yourself and everything in the world is “outside” of and “beyond” your grand “independent” soul – then none of that applies. Of course, that would mean being a one-dimensional cartoon character, but hey, it’s good enough for our president, guess it good enough for X?

Xain, do you dismiss that the way you interact with people impacts them also? Do you have any obligations to anything beyond your own bellybutton gazing? Do other people matter in your universe? Not trying to be pissy, just being straightforward and curious.

You mistake cause and effect with mattering. What may actions or words do to others does not matter at all. I have no obligation to anything or anyone, no one does. At the most base level no one matters to me, though my body tries to feel otherwise. Because in reality nothing is worth more than anything else or has any value and I try to live according to reality. I can’t lie to myself and say that things have meaning and value.

Again, you fail to see how being referred to as cute is a weakness.

Mriana, it’s just instinct, that’s all.
That's all just instincts. Well okay. What's wrong with instinct we hone as we live life?
You mistake cause and effect with mattering.
Says Siddhartha. That is before he is exposed to the world.
Because in reality nothing is worth more than anything else
Again, so what?
I try to live according to reality.
I'll bet you've really convinced yourself of that. Have you ever been wrong in your life?
Again, you fail to see how being referred to as cute is a weakness.
I don't think so. I hated being called cute. I was handsome, masculine, but cute, never!!! How dare they*. Of course, as I grew up a little more I realized cute also is in the eye of the beholder, and perhaps her or him calling me cute, doesn't mean the cute that pops into my mind when I think of cute.

I’d wager you’re sick of getting hit on by folks you abhor and ignored by those you yearn for. Am I getting close?

• Actually it never got above irritation, I certainly wasn’t going to get hung up on other’s words, since I’d learned everyone has their own agenda. That why it’s so much easier to learn who you are, learn who to stay away from, and who to congregate towards, be honest and stay true to your own ethics, I dare say develop them.

You do appreciate that ‘cute’ coming out of one person’s mouth isn’t the same ‘cute’ coming out of someone else’s mouth, especially not during the season of rising hormones.

Oh yeah, guess perhaps you don’t