Children crossing Mexican border

Does anyone have an answer to why kids who are supposedly escaping conditions in Central America are “walking” nearly 4,000 miles from the central American border to the US border? And arriving looking pretty well fed and clean? If it were a matter of escaping conditions in Central America, why don’t they ask for help and asylum in Mexico? Why travel another 4,000 miles if they are only seeking safety and are in a country that could help them?
How are they getting here? How are they finding an open border on their own? Coyotes wouldn’t be transporting them for no pay. If these children are “walking” the 4,000 miles from the Central American border, why is it that Mexican authorities haven’t picked up these hordes of unaccompanied minors walking Mexican roads? Don’t they have any facilities for children wandering without guardians all over their country, many of them under the age of five?
I have no doubt the Mexican government is doing the transporting, wanting to get rid of a problem they don’t want to handle. And does anyone know whether they are actually from Central America and not from Mexico, sent to be reunited with their undocumented immigrant parents who have managed to settle here ilegally? I wouldn’t be surprised if these kids were told to say they are from Central America and not Mexico. Escaping from a dictatorship makes for a much better story than wandering up from Mexico to join their undocumented parents.
Maybe we should take a tip from Mexico and ship them to Canada!
Seriously, though, what we need is a law that allows the US to send unaccompanied minors back over the border they crossed illegally, no matter where they’re from. At least it might lessen the flow. Is the US going to accept every country’s excess children, give them amnesty, feed, clothe, shelter and educate as many as want to come here or whose parents send here or who represent a problem Mexico wants to get rid of? Reunite them with their parents who also crossed the border illegally? Doesn’t the United States have enough problems with homelessness and unclaimed, abused and abandoned American children already–children our social services have shown they cannot handle–social services that are woefully underfunded because Republicans won’t fund them?
Lois

yipes. :wow:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/immigration/2014/06/09/immigrant-children-arizona-border-answers/10246771/ "… Children from Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador aren't just fleeing to the United States. Increasing numbers have been seeking asylum in Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Nicaragua and Belize, according to the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees. Kennedy and Ramirez agreed that most children who flee to the United States do so because they have family members here. ...
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/06/07/officials-overwhelmed-by-influx-of-children-crossing-mexican-border-into-u-s-on-their-own/ Guess the worse it gets down there the more will try to come up here.
yipes. :wow:
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/immigration/2014/06/09/immigrant-children-arizona-border-answers/10246771/ "… Children from Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador aren't just fleeing to the United States. Increasing numbers have been seeking asylum in Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Nicaragua and Belize, according to the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees. Kennedy and Ramirez agreed that most children who flee to the United States do so because they have family members here. ...
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/06/07/officials-overwhelmed-by-influx-of-children-crossing-mexican-border-into-u-s-on-their-own/ Guess the worse it gets down there the more will try to come up here.
So, do you think we should we take them all in? How about abandoned children from all over the world? Why draw the line at Mexico and Central America? It's not as if we can't take care of the ones we've got, is it? Let's tell the world it's ok to keep on overpopulating and sending the kids they can't support here for food, clothing, medical care and education--and jobs when they've reached adulthood, so they can produce even more. The United States population should happily take care of every human problem the world produces. Why assume some are more deserving than others? The United States has unlimited resources and we do such a bang-up job of taking care of our own problems, don't we? No homeless and abandoned children already here. Let's bring in millions more, open the floodgates and encourage irresponsible behavior by everyone.. What a great idea! Lois

I completely agree. This immigrant issue is the biggest Boondoggle the US Liberals and or Left has.
“Oh, but we’re a Nation of Immigrants!”
Yeah, we are a nation of immigrants that came here legally!! At a time when the country was expanding exponentially.
At a time when the US made quotas for legal immigrants based on economic needs and projections.
I don’t think the US or it’s people are in any position to continue taking in “the tired, the poor,
the huddled masses, yearning to breath free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shores”.

That we can’t help every child in the world is not a reason to not help the ones that actually walking up to us and obviously need help. It’s a rant with no logic.
And immigrants come here to work. They get low paying jobs and can’t file tax returns, so they lose that money. The problem is we don’t want to admit that our economy needs those jobs. We don’t want to pay more for strawberries and lettuce or the crap at Wal-Mart. So we pretend like immigrants are taking jobs we want and abusing our health care system.

That we can't help every child in the world is not a reason to not help the ones that actually walking up to us and obviously need help. It's a rant with no logic.
This kind of influx is a burden on any county. Children can't work, they need to be cared for.
The problem is we don't want to admit that our economy needs those jobs.
So what are you saying...these children are all destined for a life of indentured service picking fruit? Is that how you value them? You already have jobs in mind for them it seems. Picking onions or cleaning the floors at Wal-Mart. Meanwhile the value of labor gets watered down all the way up through the US Working Class. In construction, manufacturing, service jobs etc..
We don't want to pay more for strawberries and lettuce or the crap at Wal-Mart.
Who says? I'll pay more. Lot's of people will pay more. This is a tired, old argument.
So we pretend like immigrants are taking jobs we want and abusing our health care system.
It's not pretending! It's real. Illegal immigrants are taking jobs Americans want. I've seen it hundreds of times. In factories, and construction sites.

I’m for population reduction worldwide, and in the USA.
The idea of thousand or millions of poor orphans streaming into my country does not appeal to me.
I want to reduce poverty in the US, not continually replenish it with refugees from neighboring 3rd World countries that have no values.
Yes, Values.
Would Canada allow tens of thousands of it’s children to simply stream across the border into the US?
No. They wouldn’t. Because they have a certain level of value to their children. They have a value of economy and child welfare.
They have values of family and cohesiveness. Canadians would be shocked and appalled if they found out tens of thousands of it’s children were
slipping over into the US.

If we want to deal to some extent with both the undocumented immigrant and population problems we could set a new policy and publicize it widely that as soon as we catch an undoc.imm. the first thing we do is sterilize them. I’d guess that would cut down significantly on the problem. :lol:
Occam

So what are you saying...these children are all destined for a life of indentured service picking fruit? Is that how you value them? You already have jobs in mind for them it seems. Picking onions or cleaning the floors at Wal-Mart. Meanwhile the value of labor gets watered down all the way up through the US Working Class. In construction, manufacturing, service jobs etc..
No I'm not saying that you moron. I didn't say anything about the future for those children. I said something about the children, then I said something about immigration policy. Really not that complicated. This kind of labor doesn't do the watering down. The people who hire them and pay them are doing that. People taking jobs as alternative to worse jobs, like prostitution, do not cause those jobs to exists.

Quoting Lausten:

No I’m not saying that you moron.
[Color=blue]Let’s watch that, Lausten. We don’t need the discussion to sink to insulting each other.
Occam

So, do you think we should we take them all in? Lois
I didn't say that, I was just stating the obvious. I only commented because you didn't provide any sources and I looked it up. I thought you asked some excellent questions and I was disappointed that none of the articles I looked at really addressed that, though they did point out that many of kids were from families that were already north of the border. And I was pointing out that America wasn't the only nation dealing with the problems of people fleeing their homelands for a variety of reasons. The irony though is that it's our own USA political and business policies for the past century + { then USAs drug habits and political opportunism really super-charged the already degenerating situation} and we wonder why it's a mess down there and people need to escape… even if it's from the frying pan into the fire. Hang on, the fun has just started.
No I'm not saying that you moron. I didn't say anything about the future for those children. I said something about the children, then I said something about immigration policy. Really not that complicated.
You said something about children immigrants, and then you said nobody wants to admit that we need those jobs. So you are saying that those children will make fine fruit pickers and day laborers. Why else would you have turned the subject about children crossing the Mexican Border into a stance about immigrants doing the menial jobs nobody wants to do?
This kind of labor doesn't do the watering down. The people who hire them and pay them are doing that. People taking jobs as alternative to worse jobs, like prostitution, do not cause those jobs to exists.
What? This sentence is a gem. How does one read this sentence anyways? I can't even pick through the bad syntax to figure out what you're trying to convey here... But anyways, you haven't come up with any worthwhile rebuttals to my counter-points to your post. Do you have any?
And immigrants come here to work.
So? What difference does that make? Nobody was claiming they come here to be bank robbers or Vampires. The US has laws on the books about who can work here and when and how. There's reasons for those laws. Nobody just sat down and said, "I don't like people from other nations, let's write laws to discriminate against them." I say if people from other countries want to work, they should stay in their own countries and work hard on building a a great place that people don't want to mass emigrate from. It's seems real simple. I worked in another country. I did it legally. I had to get a visa and permission from the government to work there. I didn't sneak in and start working under the table illegally. And the types of jobs I was able to do was limited. I got that. It made sense to me. The citizens of that country had their own national identity and forged their infrastructure and economic heritage. They had a compact with the state for certain guarantees in return for a degree of loyalty and taxes. In return they were afforded protections against their livelihoods. It's pretty standard. The vast majority of Nations have immigration laws and work rules and visas. That's why.

How about flying them to Niagra Falls International Airport, supplying them with some provisions, sneaking them across the river into Canada, and telling them to head north, while it’s still summer? (It would serve the Canadians right for giving us Ted Cruz.)

I say if people from other countries want to work, they should stay in their own countries and work hard on building a a great place that people don't want to mass emigrate from. It's seems real simple. How does this actually make sense? What are you suggesting people actually do? Should they get a degree from Phoenix U in urban planning? Maybe they could write some apps in their spare time, while they aren't dodging bullets or rummaging through garbage for dinner.
I say if people from other countries want to work, they should stay in their own countries and work hard on building a a great place that people don't want to mass emigrate from. It's seems real simple. How does this actually make sense? What are you suggesting people actually do? Should they get a degree from Phoenix U in urban planning? Maybe they could write some apps in their spare time, while they aren't dodging bullets or rummaging through garbage for dinner. Improve living conditions. Build better roads. Get active in politics. Fight corruption. Work at it. That's how it's done. Not fretting about it and running away. Work at it. This point is tertiary to my main thrust anyways. Why you singled this out is beyond me.(not really...)
That we can't help every child in the world is not a reason to not help the ones that actually walking up to us and obviously need help. It's a rant with no logic.
This kind of influx is a burden on any county. Children can't work, they need to be cared for.
The problem is we don't want to admit that our economy needs those jobs.
We don't want to pay more for strawberries and lettuce or the crap at Wal-Mart.
Who says? I'll pay more. Lot's of people will pay more. This is a tired, old argument.
So we pretend like immigrants are taking jobs we want and abusing our health care system.
It's not pretending! It's real. Illegal immigrants are taking jobs Americans want. I've seen it hundreds of times. In factories, and construction sites. It is a tired old argument that food costs will rise substantially if farm laborers are paid decently. It isn't what is paid to the farm workers and pickers that raise the cost of food. It's the profits of the farmers and the middlemen. Paying minimum wage to the farm laborers would add only a few pennies to the cost of that head of lettuce. Meanwhile, we taxpayers pay for the healthcare of the workers and for welfare costs when there is no work, outside of what shows up as the cost of food because it's paid for outside of the market. Most people never see or recognize those costs and don't think of them as associated with the cost of production and distribution of food. We are already heavily subsidizing the profits of the farmers and middlemen and paying for the healthcare and welfare of the workers because they are not being paid enough. That way the farmers and middlemen don't have to pay those costs out of their profits. Most people don't realize this because the cost of the subsidies don't show up at the grocery stores. And this does not happen only in food production and distribution. The taxpayer pays for all kinds of subsidies to businessowners, and their profits rise because of it. Lois
Is the US going to accept every country's excess children, give them amnesty, feed, clothe, shelter and educate as many as want to come here or whose parents send here or who represent a problem Mexico wants to get rid of? Reunite them with their parents who also crossed the border illegally? Lois
If they can be turned into potential voters, then probably yes.
This point is tertiary to my main thrust anyways. Why you singled this out is beyond me.(not really...)
All of your points show a complete lack of understanding of how the world works. I'm not going to waste my time on all of them. Build better roads with what? Rocks and their bare hands? Fight corruption how? Your suggesting they act like they grew up in a middle class society with opportunity. You're blaming the victim.
This point is tertiary to my main thrust anyways. Why you singled this out is beyond me.(not really...)
All of your points show a complete lack of understanding of how the world works. I'm not going to waste my time on all of them. Build better roads with what? Rocks and their bare hands? Fight corruption how? Your suggesting they act like they grew up in a middle class society with opportunity. You're blaming the victim. I'm not blaming anyone. I just don't want more illegal immigrants coming to this country.