Blinking/morphing sun caught on live feed.

Hello all, i’m just going to cut right to it. In the last few days while looking at a live security feed I noticed a black dot in the middle of the sun, I figured it was just some kind of camera error but I have never seen that particular error in a video before so I started recording. About an hour and 12 minutes into the first recording the sun started going crazy, blinking, flickering, changing colors and sizes etc for almost 3 mins. I made a clip and posted the full video as well. The second day I decided to live stream the live feed on youtube, and right about the same time the event happened again. I figured it had to be a camera glitch until I noticed it reflecting in the water. Not sure what it is but will be doing another recording tomorrow. Clip 1. - YouTube Clip 2. - YouTube

Wow, this does look pretty strange. My first question is why do you think someone would set up a “live security feed” to take a picture of the sun? Do they think someone is going to steal it? :slight_smile:
But seriously, have you any idea where the location is? If the sun really did change size that radically for three minutes, do you think nobody else in the world would have noticed? Both these things suggest to me that it must be some problem with the camera. The black dot is probably a deliberate mask to prevent the direct rays of the sun from damaging the film (or videotape or whatever).

That effect can be created when iris of the camera is opening and closing as the camera attempts to adapt to brightness and contrast.
I do not recommend anyone to point modern cameras towards sun… it will burn a hole into the sensor (thats actually the black spot in the center of the sun).

That effect can be created when iris of the camera is opening and closing as the camera attempts to adapt to brightness and contrast. I do not recommend anyone to point modern cameras towards sun... it will burn a hole into the sensor (thats actually the black spot in the center of the sun).
See I was thinking the same exact thing, except that still does not explain the reflections on the water, try to ignore the black dot and notice what else is going on.

It perfeclty explains change of refletion on the water as brightness and contrast is shifting as a whole
That means that perceivable size of sun will always match perceivable shape of the reflection.
No miracle there.

Wow, this does look pretty strange. My first question is why do you think someone would set up a "live security feed" to take a picture of the sun? Do they think someone is going to steal it? :) But seriously, have you any idea where the location is? If the sun really did change size that radically for three minutes, do you think nobody else in the world would have noticed? Both these things suggest to me that it must be some problem with the camera. The black dot is probably a deliberate mask to prevent the direct rays of the sun from damaging the film (or videotape or whatever).
Well first off it's a beach cam hehe. This location is on the coast of Washington, try to ignore the black dot and notice what else is happening. You can literally see the reflection blinking/flashing on the water. I'm not sure if anyone else can see it, yesterday was my second day actually recording this, today will be my third. my guess would be only certain types of cameras can see these events as they happen. I'm not sure if the human eye can see this but then again i'm not even sure what it is, all i know is that if it was a camera glitch, then why is there a reflection of the event in every video. Going to be recording a third sunset from this camera.
It perfeclty explains change of refletion on the water as brightness and contrast is shifting as a whole That means that perceivable size of sun will always match perceivable shape of the reflection. No miracle there.
Even when the perceivable size of the sun is off screen but the reflections are still fully in the water? Because I caught that on camera too if you'd like to see.

Please go baiting for click elsewhere. You had my answer.

Please go baiting for click elsewhere. You had my answer.
And you have mine, I'll stay right here considering it's my thread, but feel free to take your rude little ass somewhere else. Next
You can literally see the reflection blinking/flashing on the water. I'm not sure if anyone else can see it, yesterday was my second day actually recording this, today will be my third. my guess would be only certain types of cameras can see these events as they happen. I'm not sure if the human eye can see this but then again i'm not even sure what it is, all i know is that if it was a camera glitch, then why is there a reflection of the event in every video.
Well obviously. As Offler said, "the iris of the camera is opening and closing as the camera attempts to adapt to brightness and contrast." That fluctuation in the iris opening is what's causing the apparent change in size of the image. That would hold true of the equally bright reflection in the water, wouldn't it?
I'm not sure if anyone else can see it, yesterday was my second day actually recording this, today will be my third. my guess would be only certain types of cameras can see these events as they happen. I'm not sure if the human eye can see this but then again i'm not even sure what it is, all i know is that if it was a camera glitch, then why is there a reflection of the event in every video. Going to be recording a third sunset from this camera.
The obvious next step is to check the camera, not make up a theory that something is happening with the sun, but only this camera can see it. When you say you are recording this, do you control the camera, do you know who does maintenance on it? The first question about anyone else seeing this was not wrong, but since the answer to that was no, it's time to check the camera.