Bad medical news

As many of you know my younger brother died of colon cancer in late April. He was only 49 years old.
Two weeks ago I woke up with a distended belly and severe pains in my midsection. A CT scan revealed I have Stage IV pancreatic cancer that has spread to my liver and lymph nodes. My oncologist wants to begin chemotherapy treatments Tuesday but we need to get my kidneys functioning at least 50 percent first.
Best case scenario if my cancer responds to the chemo is I have two to three years to live. The problem is pancreatic cancer is a sneaky bastard and whacks you upside the head with no warning. Worst case: if the cancer doesn’t respond I have only a few weeks left.

Oh &$@^%£ so sorry to hear this Darron. My gosh. Please do keep us in the loop as much as is comfortable for you, let us know how you are doing, and all best wishes.

Yowzers! :frowning:

Fucking cancer.

As many of you know my younger brother died of colon cancer in late April. He was only 49 years old. Two weeks ago I woke up with a distended belly and severe pains in my midsection. A CT scan revealed I have Stage IV pancreatic cancer that has spread to my liver and lymph nodes. My oncologist wants to begin chemotherapy treatments Tuesday but we need to get my kidneys functioning at least 50 percent first. Best case scenario if my cancer responds to the chemo is I have two to three years to live. The problem is pancreatic cancer is a sneaky bastard and whacks you upside the head with no warning. Worst case: if the cancer doesn't respond I have only a few weeks left.
Horrible news, Darron. I'm hoping for the best for you. Lois

Shit, that is really bad news. My thoughts are with you, Darron.

I’ll say! What a downer after a great short vacation.
Speechless. All the words seem so vacuous.

Good luck to you.

Just want to say it, while I still can, Darron has been one of best partners in my journeys on the skeptical forums. We got off to a rough start 8 years ago, but that only gave us a chance to speak honestly about who we are and work on creating a relationship based on mutual respect. I know I can count on him to call me on whatever I might say that is off base, and to add to just about any topic with insight born of life experience. He encourages freedom of expression without allowing for “anything goes”. I keep his perspective in mind when I post and I’m sure I will continue to do that, whatever tomorrow may bring.

Just want to say it, while I still can, Darron has been one of best partners in my journeys on the skeptical forums. We got off to a rough start 8 years ago, but that only gave us a chance to speak honestly about who we are and work on creating a relationship based on mutual respect. I know I can count on him to call me on whatever I might say that is off base, and to add to just about any topic with insight born of life experience. He encourages freedom of expression without allowing for "anything goes". I keep his perspective in mind when I post and I'm sure I will continue to do that, whatever tomorrow may bring.
Box of Rain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwhktLINnjo

You’ve done good work on here. Your words have forced people to think and have changed more than a few minds on many issues.
All the best.

I’m so sorry you have contracted this horrible disease. I don’t think many of us here are into the “praying business” but I can assure you that you are both in our hearts and minds.

Good luck Darron, you’re in my thoughts.

Damn it, we need more voices of reason, intelligence and compassion in the world not less.
So sorry to hear this.

I came to know about this news just now. I hope you get well soon, Sir. Take care :cry:

Thanks everyone. I was released from the hospital one week ago, out for three days and right back in. Monday night I took a turn for the worse and when I went in for my first chemo treatment on Tuesday my oncologist sent me straight to ER. I couldn’t pee and was retaining fluid. I got 3 liters of fluids drained from my abdomen on Tuesday after getting 5.5 liters drained the previous Friday. Yesterday I got a port installed and another 2 liters drained. I lost 6.5 pounds of fluids overnight after starting chemo yesterday.
This is all apparently normal and this state and could be a sign the chemo is working. We’ll see in the next few weeks as my oncology team monitors my blood counts. Right now my most realistic hope is for two good years before I die.

So sorry you have to go through this, Darron. At least it sounds like you are in good hands.
And thanks for keeping us updated, I am sure I’m not the only one around here who has you on his mind.
My best to you.

Thanks for the update, Darron. I wish you all strength you need.
Assuming the most positive scenario, could you still enjoy tequila in the time you have left?

Thanks for the update, Darron. I wish you all strength you need. Assuming the most positive scenario, could you still enjoy tequila in the time you have left?
I'm not sure, but I'm willing to try. At the risk of getting into TMI territory I will say that I never knew a bowel movement could feel so good after 12 days of consipation.
At the risk of getting into TMI territory I will say that I never knew a bowel movement could feel so good after 12 days of consipation.
:lol: