About the Introduce Yourself category

Yes, but all anecdotes must be true or they would not float around as anecdotes, right?
Of course not because most people do not understand the definition of “anecdote”.

Anecdote

1. A short account of a real incident or person, often humorous or interesting.

2. An account which supports an argument, but which is not supported by scientific or statistical analysis.

3. A previously untold secret account of an incident.

And there’s the rub. All anecdotes must be true. It says so in the Oxford dictionary.

Allow me to disprove that assumption. with some demonstrable untrue anecdotes that may sound very true and vice versa.

Watch this set of programs named “Would I lie to you”

All about anecdotes… :rofl:

In the middle of a heated interview, I heard a guy give anecdotal evidence, the interviewer called him on it, the guy responded that it wasn’t anecdotal, that it was true.

The truth of it wasn’t questioned. The point is, it’s a single, isolated, piece of truth. They can’t be verified during an interview, or over a beer. You shouldn’t get upset about anyone not accepting your one point as a reason to accept their version of reality

There is only one atheist that I respect. On the evangelist Ray Comfort’s Atheist Central facebook page I asked an atheist to consider and read the book, “Mere Christianity” by C.S. Lewis. If you know anything about C.S. Lewis, you know that he was an atheist who converted to Christianity. The atheist did not find the evidence in the book compelling, but I respected him for considering it. As near as I can tell, none of the atheists on this website have looked at the evidence that i have presented or done their own research to confirm or deny the veracity of the evidence that I present. It appears that atheists will only look at evidence that proves what they already believe. That is the definition of superstition, You claim that you will not look at medical or scientific evidence. Yet I know that at least some of you honor Richard Dawkins, a scientist. How do you determine what scientists you will trust? Do not reply to that. This is my last post on this website. I have decided to heed the scripture in Revelation 22: He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still. I believe that in the very near future you will be in a place where God is not. I think that you will not like it. Do not bother to reply as I will not be back. Just remember, as long as you are alive it is never too late to consider the evidence of God’s love for us. Farewell.

To bad. That’s where I tried to steer this conversation. If we don’t have trust, we don’t have much. You have taken the fact that I didn’t read an entire book that was recommended to me by someone I’ve never met, never heard of, and who has told me some of their reasoning (I’m talking you kuorat). You used that information to decide all sorts of things about me.

In this world with so much knowledge, we can’t be experts on everything. Figuring out how to determine if something is true without spending years learning about it is a critical skill. Most people don’t know where to start.

[quote=“kuonrat1910, post:85, topic:11”]
It appears that atheists will only look at evidence that proves what they already believe. That is the definition of superstition, You claim that you will not look at medical or scientific evidence.

Oh, but that is a false statement and not true at all. In general, atheists are more knowledgeable about both science and scripture than theists. It is the theists that refuse to look at science that continues to discover factual errors in scripture.

Yet I know that at least some of you honor Richard Dawkins, a scientist. How do you determine what scientists you will trust? Do not reply to that.

You asked the question. It deserves an answer. Let me post a short interview by a devout theist of an atheist to the question which is more reliable, Consensus Science or Divergent Scripture.
Do yourself a favor and watch this little friendly interview by Stephen Colbert (theist)
of Ricky Gervais (atheist)

This is my last post on this website. I have decided to heed the scripture in Revelation 22: He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

Are you suggesting that only theists are holy and remain holy , while atheists can be unjust, or filthy, or perhaps even righteous.
Your hubris (vanity) is certainly noteworthy here.

I believe that in the very near future, you will be in a place where God is not. I think that you will not like it. Do not bother to reply as I will not be back. Just remember, as long as you are alive it is never too late to consider the evidence of God’s love for us.

No, you don’t get to leave unanswered. That would be rude… :thinking:
I am sure that in the future you will be in a place where god is not (in the ground), along with all the atheists who are buried there.

But if you have earned the right to sit beside god for being righteous, righteous atheists should have the same opportunity, regardless if they believe in god, don’t you think? Just believing in god doesn’t make you righteous. Being righteous makes you righteous.

Farewell.

You too. Thanks for dropping by… image

We have faith in a process, not in a man or a legend. The process is called the Scientific Method. If Dawkins writes something wrong then thousands of other scientists can advance their career by pointing out the error.

1 Like

“Buddha Science” by Steve Daut

What is Reality, and why does it matter? After all, turkeys, trees, and some American presidents have lived out their lives without ever asking these questions. So begins Buddha Science, an exploration into the amazing similarities between groundbreaking Western science and the profound wisdom of ancient Eastern thought. But this is no scientific treatise or gee whiz new age fantasy; it is a logical and lighthearted look at some of the themes that cut across vastly divergent approaches to understanding the mysteries of life, consciousness, and the universe.

Invoking an ancient story in which three blind men describe an elephant based solely upon the unique parts they encounter, Buddha Science encourages readers to question their perception of reality. We all understand a piece of reality, but none of us sees the whole thing. Like the blind men, only by opening our minds to all points of view can we hope to gain greater understanding.

Author, Steve Daut, takes a step-by-step approach to discussion on various scientific disciplines and the startling parallels between modern scientific discovery and the principles outlined by the Buddha over twenty six centuries ago. Packed with over 220 notes and references, with examples both entertaining and insightful, Buddha Science is both extensively researched and highly readable. A thought-provoking must read for anyone who has wondered about the deeper mysteries of life.

Published by Blind Elephant Books

Well alrightie then, you got me curious. I’ve purchased a copy and am looking forward to reading it and seeing what you’ve come up with.

Speaking of the deeper mysteries, have you seen the thread, Vervaeke, Awakening from the Meaning Crisis

Can you define what these deeper mysteries? Or label them for that matter?

Well, don’t ask me to defend it. There are a number of things i would do differently if I wrote it today.

That’s a good sign. If you said it was perfect and complete, I would be suspicious.

I wrote define. :slight_smile:

Or do you mean, defend your book?
Is it worth reading?
Is it worth discussing?
It’s not too late to cancel the order - I am kinda limited on my free time.
:v:

Welcome Steve, looking forward to your posts. I love story telling. History rests on that.

Problem is that stories do not always reflect truth but wishful thinking.

There is an excellent YouTube series on the art of story telling .
It’s called “Would I lie to you”?

It may seem silly, but there is a serious aspect to all of this as well.

There are still many things that I WOULD still defend. The basic premise holds- today I would invoke a few different arguments to support it. I’d definitely be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Steve Daut

Oh so you keep learning and growing. :wink:

:+1:t2:

Happy birthday Mriana!!

Many returns… :partying_face:

2 Likes

Thank you. :slight_smile: It’s been a very good day today.

2 Likes

Hello my name is Kathy Z and I currently live in Skiatook, Oklahoma.

I have to remain very vigilant and be a skeptic always considering where I live.

I am a retired astronomer
something strange happened to me in Denmark
One morning at 05 all electricity was cut, and all my mobile devices stopped charging.
I had no idea, what was going on. I could not use my mobile phones for weeks.
Then I heard from somebody, that the power companies had made a very secret power cut that morning.
I found out that my phones were charging on other addresses than mine. Very mysterious.
Then I remembered telling the garbage collector that my phone was not working. I am warned about garbage collecting by SMS. That might be of some interest to others.
To understand the following, you need to know a Danish law from 1970.
That year Denmark introduced the Source Taxation, so that tax of working income is drawn automatically.
To make this possible the Central Personal Register, or CPR, was crealed. This is why a garbage collector can put all my mobile subscriptions on hold.
But this actually were only possible, because the power cut was a secret for everybody.
Suspecting this, I changed the amount of data download in my subscription, and everything worked fine.
Question: does any other country make such a stupid thing as a secret power cut?

Welcome Bjarne, there are several people here very much interested in astronomy.
Looking forward to your posts.

As far as power outages, imagine the power you have when you can control it.

Hi, all. I’m new here, being directed to CFI by one of your mods, Mirana.

I’m a 43-year-old Texan, born and raised. I lived in Georgia for a brief time, between 2005 and 2006, but otherwise the Lone Star State has been my home. I’m not married, which I honestly think sucks…but I also don’t have any kids, which I’m grateful for. In truth, I’m barely able to control myself - adding kids to the mix would just be too much.

Since this website appears to be mainly intended for naturalists, skeptics, or even all-out atheists, its only fair for you to know that I am a Christian. I do my best to never force what I think on anybody, or demand they agree with me - we all have free will. But I’m completely against the philosophy of “political correctness”, which says we all have to constantly agree on everything. I think it is perfectly possible (and perhaps even admirable), for two people to have opposing views, and not have it escalate into hate, cursing, character attacks, or other such pointless nonsense. If you assume that simply because my thoughts don’t match your own on an issue (even a sensitive one), then I must by definition hate you or want bad things to happen to you…I’m sorry you feel that way, but you’re wrong. I’m not an extremist or a legalist, but I don’t walk on eggshells either, and I’m not afraid to defend my faith.

With all of that said, I’m glad to be here. I hope we can all get along - thanks for having me.

Welcome moviefan. Looking forward to your posts.
From your introduction, you sound eminently reasonable with your humanist qualities.