Abortion Was A Means To Power As Segregation Lost Political Potency For Religious Right

Here’s history worth knowing:

May 4, 2022 - Ali Velshi reviews how the religious right became frustrated by the loss of segregation as an issue to mobilize their constituency and shifted instead to prioritizing abortion as a means of consolidating religious voters into a more powerful voting bloc.

The politics of abortion: a historical perspective

MAR 27, 2013

The Religious Right Wasn’t Created to Battle Abortion

As the Supreme Court hears arguments in cases on marriage equality, many fear a decades-long backlash reminiscent of that after Roe v. Wade. It is important, however, to remember the real story behind the formation of the religious conservative movement.

The Real Origins of the Religious Right

They’ll tell you it was abortion. Sorry, the historical record’s clear: It was segregation.

By RANDALL BALMER - May 27, 2014

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/05/religious-right-real-origins-107133/

One of the most durable myths in recent history is that the religious right, the coalition of conservative evangelicals and fundamentalists, emerged as a political movement in response to the U.S. Supreme Court’s 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling legalizing abortion. The tale goes something like this: Evangelicals, who had been politically quiescent for decades, were so morally outraged by Roe that they resolved to organize in order to overturn it.

This myth of origins is oft repeated by the movement’s leaders. In his 2005 book, Jerry Falwell, the firebrand fundamentalist preacher, …

Here’s curious study into Jerry Falwell’s preaching success, for anyone interested in taking a deep dive (skimming through it is enough to make me dizzy).

Seems to me Evangelical Preacher = self serving cynical con artists, with sticky fingers deep in your pockets.

1985 - LSU Historical Dissertations and Theses

A Rhetorical Analysis of the Political Preaching of the Reverend Jerry Falwell: the Moral Majority Sermons, 1979 (Electric Church, Demagogue).

By Vernon Oliver Ray

Louisiana State University and Agricultural & Mechanical College

2 Likes

Kavanaugh, when Kamala asked, couldn’t come up with a law that regulates a man’s body, because there isn’t one. It’s pure control over women, by the Catholic Church and the very far right Religious Reich. They attribute it to the god they created in order to make it sound good. Once they overturn Roe v Wade, they’ll probably go for the LGBT, divorce laws, interracial marriage, Civil Rights, voting laws, etc.

1 Like

Nobodies religious rights have been lost the right to apply your religion on others has been lost. People use to be executed for believing differently than others and still are. That’s really what the fight is about the right to apply your religious tenants on others.

They are forcing their religion on others by overturning Roe v Wade.

Well darn, why haven’t Jews stepped up sooner.

Synagogue challenges Florida abortion law

the law that takes effect July 1 violates Jewish teachings, which state abortion “is required if necessary to protect the health, mental or physical well-being of the woman” and for other reasons.

“As such, the act prohibits Jewish women from practicing their faith free of government intrusion and this violates their privacy rights and religious freedom,” says the lawsuit, filed Friday in Leon County Circuit Court.

Kind of “My God vs Your God” thing.
This ought to be good.

1 Like

As my wife put it, they believe in the breathing more than the un-breathing.

Think about it, those first breaths of life is where a human-potentiality takes on the cloak of Personhood.

I always did have a gut feeling Judaism is the most humane of the three Abrahamic religions, case in point, accepting the reality of our human lives, rather than idealistic visions, which are a fools errand.