Wolf-like Creature Shot and Killed on Montana Ranch

So this was actually national news. Very strange canine was shot and killed on a farm in Montana.

Was it a wolf, some type of hybrid, or a creature that hasn't been seen in Montana since the Ice Age? On May 16 a lone wolf-like animal was shot and killed on a ranch outside Denton. With long grayish fur, a large head and an extended snout, the animal shared many of the same characteristics as a wolf; but its ears were too large, it's legs and body too short, its fur uncharacteristic of that common to a wolf. So far, the exact species is a mystery
Here's the full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44243644]

Photo is obviously taken with a mobile phone which use wide-angle lens, so perspective is distorted. Photos are taken from upclose and objects in distance seem relatively smaller…
I think its a wild dog or a progeny of a dog and a wolf.

Not going to lie, it kind of reminded me of a massive wolf that was said to appear on the Skin Walker ranch:
"This “dire wolf” like creature has long dirty mangy grey/black hair. Has a proud, intimidating, and intense like presence. At this time I am unsure if it is hostile or friendly, my impression was neither more majestic and to be feared in nature. Large sturdy body structure. Has an unusually long and bushy tail. May travel within the “Flash Drones” and manifest from them as seen by two researchers. Has (and will) vanish from view eventually but seemed solid in nature. Has a penetrating stare, but is unable/unwilling to communicate verbally or psychically. "