Why did the US govt patent cannabidiol?

Anyone have any insight on this?
I know that Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of the cannabinoids in marijuana (one that does not produce the “high” as does another of the cannabinoids, i.e., THC).
I know that there are claims of efficacy by/for some individuals who have used high doses of CBD to deal with certain neurological issues and even cancer.
I know that the Israelis reportedly are using CBD on the battlefield as a first-line treatment to remediate the bad effects of head injuries.
I know that the Federal government’s assigning of marijuana to be a Schedule 1 drug has been a major roadblock to adequate research being done on the various cannabinoids and marijuana in total, as a medicine, despite marijuana, now being legalized, medicinally, in a number of States.
But I am confused as to why U.S. government patented CBD.

You mean as in patent the molecule? Oh no, more worm holes, and I was looking for some light distraction:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6630507.PN.&OS=PN/6630507&RS=PN/6630507 USPatent 6,630,507 - Hampson , et al. - October 7, 2003 Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants Abstract Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to NMDA receptor antagonism. This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia. Nonpsychoactive cannabinoids, such as cannabidoil, are particularly advantageous to use because they avoid toxicity that is encountered with psychoactive cannabinoids at high doses useful in the method of the present invention. A particular disclosed class of cannabinoids useful as neuroprotective antioxidants is formula (I) wherein the R group is independently selected from the group consisting of H, CH.sub.3, and COCH.sub.3. ##STR1##
http://www.medicalmarijuanainc.com/index.php/latest-news/308-dr-gupta-talks-about-government-s-cannabinoid-patent Oh dear Alex Jones has a list of all the stuff it cures… well I'm out of my depth and forgot to put on my irritation rubbers, so I'll tippy-toe out of here. http://www.infowars.com/u-s-government-owns-patent-on-cannabis/
Anyone have any insight on this? I know that Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of the cannabinoids in marijuana (one that does not produce the "high" as does another of the cannabinoids, i.e., THC). I know that there are claims of efficacy by/for some individuals who have used high doses of CBD to deal with certain neurological issues and even cancer. I know that the Israelis reportedly are using CBD on the battlefield as a first-line treatment to remediate the bad effects of head injuries. I know that the Federal government's assigning of marijuana to be a Schedule 1 drug has been a major roadblock to adequate research being done on the various cannabinoids and marijuana in total, as a medicine, despite marijuana, now being legalized, medicinally, in a number of States. But I am confused as to why U.S. government patented CBD.
The smell of money trumps everything.
You mean as in patent the molecule? Oh no, more worm holes, and I was looking for some light distraction:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6630507.PN.&OS=PN/6630507&RS=PN/6630507 USPatent 6,630,507 - Hampson , et al. - October 7, 2003 Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants Abstract Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to NMDA receptor antagonism. This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia. Nonpsychoactive cannabinoids, such as cannabidoil, are particularly advantageous to use because they avoid toxicity that is encountered with psychoactive cannabinoids at high doses useful in the method of the present invention. A particular disclosed class of cannabinoids useful as neuroprotective antioxidants is formula (I) wherein the R group is independently selected from the group consisting of H, CH.sub.3, and COCH.sub.3. ##STR1##
http://www.medicalmarijuanainc.com/index.php/latest-news/308-dr-gupta-talks-about-government-s-cannabinoid-patent Oh dear Alex Jones has a list of all the stuff it cures… well I'm out of my depth and forgot to put on my irritation rubbers, so I'll tippy-toe out of here. http://www.infowars.com/u-s-government-owns-patent-on-cannabis/ Right. I should have said the govt patented cannabidiol as an antioxidant/neuroprotectant (or whatever it specifically was). I don't think someone can patent a molecule, (though I wouldn't doubt that there are those who have tried). But this deepens the confusion for me, as the govt patent (for it's medical properties) seems to directly contradict (as your Gupta reference above indicates) the govt classification of Cannabis as a Schedule 1 narcotic. Part of the definition of a Schedule 1 drug is that "The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States".
... But I am confused as to why U.S. government patented CBD.
The smell of money trumps everything. But how are you suggesting that the govt is making money by patenting cannabidiol? The patent was taken out over a decade ago. AFAIK, no money is being made off of it.

According to federal law, there is no acceptance of medical use further case. The government is allowed to file and patent, and that has no bearing on the Controlled Substances Act. Also, the patent doesn’t prove the chemical is effected in the selected countries.

The federal stance that there is no accepted medical use of marijuana is obviously false. This thread was started years ago. Since then various States have legalized marijuana for medical use. The federal scheduling of marijuana as a most restricted narcotic remains however. This should have been changed decades ago.