When did you realize you were old?

I’m with Occam. One of the nice things about being a 58-year-old college student is admiring all the young girls on campus when the weather is warm. One of the problems is they all call me “sir.” Yeah, that makes me feel old.

One of my friends first felt old when got a haircut and the barber trimmed the hair on his ears. I realized I was old when my friends started talking about their grandchildren.
That is so funny. My barber did that to me the last time. Real quick like. Just one hair I guess. But I caught it and said, "Did you just get an ear hair?" The barber said, "Yeah, just one." I had that "getting older feeling" then. Not for the first time. Won't be the last I'm sure. We all know we were getting older the minute we jumped out of the womb. :lol:

On a similarly related topic…Who here has given thought to the perception of scale in time. As it relates to your memory, perception of lifespan,
general concept of how fast time "seems’ to move(!) etc…
For example how fast one thinks time travels in their 20s as opposed to their 40s.
The relevancy of interaction and memories as time goes on.
Or, one thinks they are old at 30, until they look back at 30 from 40 or 50 or 80.

I am in my early forties and I think I feel exactly my age, both mentally and physically. I certainly don't feel the same way I used to when I was twenty or thirty. People who get old and say they haven't changed either forget the way they used to feel when they were younger or are simply lying to themselves. We may not understand everything about middle age, say, the cause of menopause in women, but we know the brain does start to deteriorate during the fifth and sixth decade along with the rest of our body. A bit of stoicism would suit you all. : )
But you don't think you are lying to yourself when you say you feel the same way in your early forties as you did when you were twenty or thirty? Funny how that works. ;) Lois Huh? I said I DON'T feel the same way I used to. Sorry, I misread it. Lois

I forgot one of the first times I did feel old. I was in an antiques store and saw items I remembered from my childhood. That was a shock. My first reaction: “Those aren’t antiques!”

I forgot one of the first times I did feel old. I was in an antiques store and saw items I remembered from my childhood. That was a shock. My first reaction: "Those aren't antiques!"
Try hearing music that would send you to hell when it was made being played inside an elevator. Happened to me once and I remember when the music was new.
I forgot one of the first times I did feel old. I was in an antiques store and saw items I remembered from my childhood. That was a shock. My first reaction: "Those aren't antiques!"
Try hearing music that would send you to hell when it was made being played inside an elevator. Happened to me once and I remember when the music was new.I get that at the grocery store and other retail locations. Just moseying along, enjoying the song playing over the PA... Then it hits me. When the hell did they start playing Van Halen at retail stores? :-) Take care, Derek
Try hearing music that would send you to hell when it was made being played inside an elevator. Happened to me once and I remember when the music was new.I get that at the grocery store and other retail locations. Just moseying along, enjoying the song playing over the PA... Then it hits me. When the hell did they start playing Van Halen at retail stores? :-) Take care, Derek I actually felt young again when one of my son's friends was listening and singing to 70s music. We jammed together, even though I can't actually sing and had a very good time. :)

Referring to nose and ear hairs: Don’t worry about them. I’ve found that when they turn white they’re much harder to see. :lol:
Occam

I actually felt young again when one of my son’s friends was listening and singing to 70s music. We jammed together, even though I can’t actually sing and had a very good time.
Speaking of which, my wife treated me to a Blood, Sweat and Tears concert last night and it immediately brought back memories. I was 23 again; then I looked around at all the old farts sharing the same memories. Screw it, We had a good time rockin' out to some old tunes and some new arrangements. It was a blast... From the past... , but it was a gas. They even had a wine bar right there in the theater for the yuppies. Cap't Jack
One of my friends first felt old when got a haircut and the barber trimmed the hair on his ears. I realized I was old when my friends started talking about their grandchildren.
That is so funny. My barber did that to me the last time. Real quick like. Just one hair I guess. But I caught it and said, "Did you just get an ear hair?" The barber said, "Yeah, just one." I had that "getting older feeling" then. Not for the first time. Won't be the last I'm sure. We all know we were getting older the minute we jumped out of the womb. :lol: You must have been a baby genius. I don't think I thought of it until I was maybe 8 or so. It's amazing what some newborns can think of though. ;) Lois

Yes, music will do it every time. Also the first time you go into a restaurant or a a theater and look around at the audience and realize you’re probably the oldest person(s) in the room-- and it keeps on happening!
Lois

Speaking of which, my wife treated me to a Blood, Sweat and Tears concert last night and it immediately brought back memories. I was 23 again; then I looked around at all the old farts sharing the same memories. Screw it, We had a good time rockin' out to some old tunes and some new arrangements. It was a blast... From the past... , but it was a gas. They even had a wine bar right there in the theater for the yuppies. Cap't Jack
BS&T is one of the few bands I did not see back in the day. Glad you got to go.
That is so funny. My barber did that to me the last time. Real quick like. Just one hair I guess. But I caught it and said, "Did you just get an ear hair?" The barber said, "Yeah, just one." I had that "getting older feeling" then. Not for the first time. Won't be the last I'm sure. We all know we were getting older the minute we jumped out of the womb. :lol: You must have been a baby genius. I don't think I thought of it until I was maybe 8 or so. It's amazing what some newborns can think of though. ;) Lois You have trouble reading people's posts. I said we all "know" we were getting older. I didn't say we all "knew". That's twice you did that in this thread alone. I don't know if you noticed George's reply to a similar misquote by you. It's a page or two back. Pay attention. If you want to go around making "comments" about folks replies, at least make sure you know what they are saying.
That is so funny. My barber did that to me the last time. Real quick like. Just one hair I guess. But I caught it and said, "Did you just get an ear hair?" The barber said, "Yeah, just one." I had that "getting older feeling" then. Not for the first time. Won't be the last I'm sure. We all know we were getting older the minute we jumped out of the womb. :lol: You must have been a baby genius. I don't think I thought of it until I was maybe 8 or so. It's amazing what some newborns can think of though. ;) Lois You have trouble reading people's posts. I said we all "know" we were getting older. I didn't say we all "knew". That's twice you did that in this thread alone. I don't know if you noticed George's reply to a similar misquote by you. It's a page or two back. Pay attention. If you want to go around making "comments" about folks replies, at least make sure you know what they are saying. You obviously have trouble with the language. "We all know we were getting older the minute we jumped out of the womb" can mean that that is the moment we know it. Learn to say what you actually mean. You could have said, "We all know at some point in our lives that we are getting older from the minute we jumped out of the womb." in any case that isn't completely correct. We are getting older from the moment of conception. As for your opinion about my exchange with George, it's obvious that you must be one of those "geniuses" who never misreads anything. At least I admit when I'm wrong. You just make accusations, which means you lack insight, a much more serious condition. You ought to see a psychiatrist about it.

Lois and Vyazma’s,
We all know text-only communication is prone to even more problems than in-person communication. When correcting a misunderstanding, there’s no need for snide comments that derail the thread.

First hint for me was when music from high school turned up on the “Classic Rock” station. More disturbing has been the crappy near vision, which makes things challenging at work and which my optometrist hasn’t been able to find a fix for yet.
I sort of agree that attitude has a huge influence on how “old” one is. Thanks to a combination of luck and better knowledge about health, I’m a lot more fit pushing 50 than my parents were. I even managed to get my black belt at 45. But I also noticed that the youngsters healed from their injuries a lot faster than I healed from mine, so aging also includes some hard, cold physical reality! :slight_smile:

First hint for me was when music from high school turned up on the “Classic Rock" station. More disturbing has been the crappy near vision, which makes things challenging at work and which my optometrist hasn’t been able to find a fix for yet.
And while we're on the subject, I told my son when he was a snot nosed kid that someday heavy metal music would be heard on elevators just like the Beatles music we heard then. Sure enough (I must be psychic) we heard Kiss's former hit "Beth" on an elevator. It's all relative. So I'll never be a stunt pilot again! We all do the best with what we have left. :cheese: Cap't Jack
BS&T is one of the few bands I did not see back in the day. Glad you got to go.
I'm telling you Darren, that was really one of the best concerts I've seen in a long time. Bo Bice sang better than David Clayton Thomas and the orchestration was identical to the original, in fact you couldn't tell the difference. On the second set they were backed by a forty piece symphonic orchestra. We had all of their albums and they played selections from most of them including the greats like spinning wheel. By all means go see them when they come to your area. It's well worth the price. I couldn't have had a better b'day present. Of course the sound was there but not the original performers. Cap't Jack
You obviously have trouble with the language. "We all know we were getting older the minute we jumped out of the womb" can mean that that is the moment we know it.
No Lois, "We all knew we were getting older" means that we knew we were getting older the minute we were born! -That means as we were being born, in the moment, we knew we were getting older. "We all know we were getting older" means that now, looking back we know we were getting older the minute we were born! -Obviously "we all know we were" has an reflective meaning. If I would have said "We all know we are getting older the minute we jumped out", then that might have been interpreted as "in that moment". But I said: "We all know we were getting older."
Learn to say what you actually mean. You could have said, "We all know at some point in our lives that we are getting older from the minute we jumped out of the womb." in any case that isn't completely correct. We are getting older from the moment of conception.
I don't consider life to begin at conception.
As for your opinion about my exchange with George, it's obvious that you must be one of those "geniuses" who never misreads anything. At least I admit when I'm wrong. You just make accusations, which means you lack insight, a much more serious condition. You ought to see a psychiatrist about it.
Yeah, I'll go see a psychiatrist. You just pay more attention! ;-)