- You are JUST a material being. You have no eternal soul
- The chemicals in your body are replaced regularly and even Neurons (in spite of what was believed to the contrary) are replaced over time.
- Even your memories aren’t entirely real because memory is unreliable. e.g. The Titanic: some witnesses claimed the ship broke up before it sank others said it didn’t.
- You consciousness is an artifact of neurons firing but it is just an illusion and does not constitute a continuous state of actual being.
- Therefore you are not the same you that you were 7 or 10 years ago and even your beliefs and memories change.
- You are really only a collection of chemicals. Not an identity not an actual being but a collection of parts that create the illusion of you.
Is it misleading to apply personal pronouns to yourself and act as if you actually are an individual with a real identity?
Why care about tomorrow since the collection of chemicals that thinks it is you will not exist as the same collection of chemicals within a few years. (Actually the change is continuous since you eat, drink and pass waste products every day).
Why act as if all points 1 through 5 are completely wrong and you actually do have an identity?
Personally, I think it is because you think you are real and that deep down you think you exist as a real entity and that awareness is so strong that you can’t act consistently with materialist beliefs.
You think you are a real being. Now it is obvious that the “material you” cannot be consistent yet there you are, a consistent stream of being (ok you can sleep etc. but when you wake up you are still you).
That is why you apply personal pronouns and identity to yourself.
You falsify the materialist world view by acting the way that you do.
For example if you know that the feelings of anger or annoyance that are produced by you reading my email is just a product of some naturalist process and in effect illusionary then why read or respond to my emails?
Why not do something that makes your collection of chemicals do something that creates the illusion of happiness instead?