When did you realize you were old?

I’m 54 and I still feel like a teenager but the one defining moment when it hit me the worst is when I got an application from AARP. Boy, that hit me like a boulder. It pissed me off really. If someone would have delivered that letter, to me directly, I probably would have hit him.
I"M NOT OLD!

I'm 54 and I still feel like a teenager but the one defining moment when it hit me the worst is when I got an application from AARP. Boy, that hit me like a boulder. It pissed me off really. If someone would have delivered that letter, to me directly, I probably would have hit him. I"M NOT OLD!
AARP doesn't say you're old. That is your interpretation of it. AARP is saying you are in the home stretch toward retirement, that's all. They send letters to people in their 50s to make people in their 60s NOT feel old. They figure you'll be used to the idea by the time you're in your 60s and won't feel bad about joining, especially if you know that people 10 years younger are eligible. That can also make you feel more comfortable about lying about your age. Lois

I still feel 21, so I am always surprised to look in the mirror and see a much older reflection looking back at me. :(…more like…21X3 :frowning: Where has all the time gone?

I'm 54 and I still feel like a teenager but the one defining moment when it hit me the worst is when I got an application from AARP. Boy, that hit me like a boulder. It pissed me off really. If someone would have delivered that letter, to me directly, I probably would have hit him. I"M NOT OLD!
My age is equal to 'What is the answer to life, the universe, and everything?'* + 5. The AARP spam was funny at first. Then a bit of what you (WuCares) stated: "Hey! I'm not old." But that wasn't the straw. No, not at all. It was the damn folks trying to get me to buy a cemetery plot! WTF? :lol: Future mailings convinced me to become an organ donor. And a few after that 'made' me decide to donate my body to science. *Nod to another thread where Douglas Adams was mentioned. ;-) Take care, Derek

I turn 65 today. Avoid mirrors at all cost! What I’ve discovered is that mentally we don’t see ourselves as being older. I remember as a kid looking at my grandparents as ancient at this age but not me. I’m still in my early 30’s, or at least I feel that way. The bottom line is to stay active socially, mentally and physically. I gotta get back to the gym. and BTW, I looked forward to my AARP letter for the benefits they offer. And turning 50 sure beat the alternative if you know what I mean.
Cap’t Jack

I am in my early forties and I think I feel exactly my age, both mentally and physically. I certainly don’t feel the same way I used to when I was twenty or thirty. People who get old and say they haven’t changed either forget the way they used to feel when they were younger or are simply lying to themselves. We may not understand everything about middle age, say, the cause of menopause in women, but we know the brain does start to deteriorate during the fifth and sixth decade along with the rest of our body. A bit of stoicism would suit you all. : )

I’m 47 and sometimes I feel like 10, others like a teenager, and other times in my 20s, depending on the situation and who I’m with, but there are times when my arthritis is acting up and won’t let me open jars and cans, that I feel “old and helpless”. For the most part though, I still feel young. However, I want at least one grandchild to spoil and have fun with, as well as get into trouble with my children/their parents. That would be so much fun! :lol:

Pushing a car through the snow this morning was a new level of “old”. Seeing a picture of some old guy, then realizing it’s me.
But the first one was hearing an old song from 70’s and kicking back and thinking about those good ol’ days, remembering what it was like, then realizing I could no longer get that feeling.

I still feel 21, so I am always surprised to look in the mirror and see a much older reflection looking back at me. :(.....more like...21X3 :( Where has all the time gone?
I find it much worse when I see a photograph of myself. I think I have trained myself to block out or ignore the signs of aging in mirrors most of the time. Photographs are a different story and they're more permanent than mirrors. Most of the time no one else will see my image in a mirror. Lois
I turn 65 today. Avoid mirrors at all cost! What I've discovered is that mentally we don't see ourselves as being older. I remember as a kid looking at my grandparents as ancient at this age but not me. I'm still in my early 30's, or at least I feel that way. The bottom line is to stay active socially, mentally and physically. I gotta get back to the gym. and BTW, I looked forward to my AARP letter for the benefits they offer. And turning 50 sure beat the alternative if you know what I mean. Cap't Jack
Happy birthday. After a year wou will begin wishing you were a young 65 again. Lois
I am in my early forties and I think I feel exactly my age, both mentally and physically. I certainly don't feel the same way I used to when I was twenty or thirty. People who get old and say they haven't changed either forget the way they used to feel when they were younger or are simply lying to themselves. We may not understand everything about middle age, say, the cause of menopause in women, but we know the brain does start to deteriorate during the fifth and sixth decade along with the rest of our body. A bit of stoicism would suit you all. : )
But you don't think you are lying to yourself when you say you feel the same way in your early forties as you did when you were twenty or thirty? Funny how that works. ;) Lois

One of my friends first felt old when got a haircut and the barber trimmed the hair on his ears.
I realized I was old when my friends started talking about their grandchildren.

I am in my early forties and I think I feel exactly my age, both mentally and physically. I certainly don't feel the same way I used to when I was twenty or thirty. People who get old and say they haven't changed either forget the way they used to feel when they were younger or are simply lying to themselves. We may not understand everything about middle age, say, the cause of menopause in women, but we know the brain does start to deteriorate during the fifth and sixth decade along with the rest of our body. A bit of stoicism would suit you all. : )
But you don't think you are lying to yourself when you say you feel the same way in your early forties as you did when you were twenty or thirty? Funny how that works. ;) Lois Huh? I said I DON'T feel the same way I used to.

Hey, who said I’m old?? >:( >:-( :bug:
This is the time in life when 6th grade math becomes hugely useful. Remember learning about differnet counting systems like base 16?. I laugh at all my fellow students who raised their hands in class and said " Why do we have to learn this. When are we ever going to use it?" Now they’re all in their mid 50’s and I’m only 36

I always try to do things at SOL. It keeps me relatively younger than everybody around me who seem to age much faster than I. Sometimes I must be traveling at superluminal speed and going back in time where I have not yet learned the things everyone tells me I am forgetting.

If it weren’t for my kids, I’d feel very young. A couple years ago my 11 year old son (youngest in the family) tried to teach me how to play Portal 2 on the Xbox. I almost threw the controller at the wall AND I started feeling sick to my stomach from the screen motion. OLD. My little flip phone finally conked out so I had to get a “Smart” phone with all the swiping. Again I almost through the POS at the wall…it shouldn’t be that hard to answer the GD phone! And I had to get my daughter to configure the darn thing. And I’m a computer programmer and a musician! so I consider myself pretty tech savvy and hip. Guess not. Oh ya, and when we went for college visits a few years ago…and I noticed (and said as much to my daughters and wife) that half the girls dress like prostitutes. To which I got “oh dad chill out, that’s how a lot of girls dress today”. I’m no prude but come on.

I am in my early forties and I think I feel exactly my age, both mentally and physically. I certainly don’t feel the same way I used to when I was twenty or thirty. People who get old and say they haven’t changed either forget the way they used to feel when they were younger or are simply lying to themselves. We may not understand everything about middle age, say, the cause of menopause in women, but we know the brain does start to deteriorate during the fifth and sixth decade along with the rest of our body. A bit of stoicism would suit you all. : )
But George, I am a stoic. It's at this time of life when you realize that you're on the downhill slide so filling the bucket list becomes critical. I've got a lot to accomplish before the inevitable happens; I'm not looking forward to it mind you but am much more accepting of my fate than when I was in my 20's. And as to brain deterioration, so far my memory is still sharp and stimulated daily, both long term and short term. Both of my parents, 86 and 87 are still lucid and active so maybe it's genetic. Whatever, I plan to learn and teach until the grim reaper comes calling ( ref. Blue Oyster Cult!). Cap't Jack
Happy birthday. After a year wou will begin wishing you were a young 65 again.
Thanks Lois, despite what George said except for stamina,which I'll never get back anyway, I feel pretty good fer an olde feller! Cap't Jack

I knew I was old when I met a new Priestess of Sudari (bartender) down to the Church of the Corner Bar and realized that the woman at the end of the bar, who I dated in High School was her grandmother! :grrr:

I turned 83 two months ago, and I don’t feel old. I do recall getting P.O.ed quite a few years ago when a clerk referred to me as “sir”. I work out at the Y three days a week and walk fast, but I take stairs one at a time instead of the two or three at a time of the earlier days. I sleep well, but have to get up two or three times during the night. My eyesight is still good but my near point is now about twelve inches.
Sure, my body has some problems but that’s not what I think determines oldness. Rather, it’s mental acuity and attitude that does so. My long term memory is still excellent, and I’m not sure that I ever had a good short term memory. I like mature people of both sexes who have enough experience that they can carry on an intelligent conversation. While I don’t even try to do anything about it, I still enjoy young women who dress attractively (I don’t see it as “dressing like prostitutes”). Hell, I still even like watching Victoria’s Secret commercials. :lol:
Occam