That said, I’m curious as to what people think the philosophical/theological ramifications of such achievements may be. What, for example, does it mean if mankind reaches the point where dying is no longer inevitable?
There are several species which are technically immortal, but they are extremely simple and require very little energy.
OTOH human require an enormous amount of energy, not only personally, but also technically for our toys. Unless we learn to use the inexhaustible power of the sun like trees. The Bristlecone Pine tree may grow to be 5000 years. But that is because it has no competitors in the region they grow.
We all know trees can live really long lives. It’s no surprise that they typically live longer than humans and everything else on the planet. Trees can live anywhere from less than 100 years to more than a few thousand years depending on the species. However, one species in particular outlives them all. The Great Basin Bristlecone Pine (Pinus Longaeva) has been deemed the oldest tree in existence, reaching an age of over 5,000 years old.
As to humans acquiring immortality, is considerable more difficult than trees.
To begin with, the human biome consist of only 10% human cells. The other 90% cells are from symbiotic bacteria. If we count genes, the human biome only contains 1% human genes and 99% bacterial genes. Human could not exist without the bacteria. Thus immortality would involve the evolution of a host of organisms that actually keep us alive.
As to Creationism, I like to ask if God designed the human biome as we know it to exist today, with remnants of virus genes having become part of the human DNA.
The non-human living inside of you
The human genome contains billions of pieces of information and around 22,000 genes, but not all of it is, strictly speaking, human. Eight percent of our DNA consists of remnants of ancient viruses, and another 40 percent is made up of repetitive strings of genetic letters that is also thought to have a viral origin. Those extensive viral regions are much more than evolutionary relics: They may be deeply involved with a wide range of diseases including multiple sclerosis, hemophilia, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), along with certain types of dementia and cancer.
Eight percent of our DNA consists of remnants of ancient viruses, and another 40 percent is made up of repetitive strings of genetic letters that is also thought to have a viral origin.