What beer do you like?

THE 45 MILLION YEAR OLD BEER http://www.fossilfuelsbrewingco.com Pint glasses full of Fossil Fuels Beer are raising eyebrows around northern California. This could be due to the fact that the unique ingredient for the line of Fossil Fuels beer is a yeast strain dating back to the Eocene Epoch, which is about 45 million years ago. A team of scientists, Dr. Raul Cano (Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, CA) and Lewis “Chip" Lambert (Fremont, CA), are partnering with brew masters to produce what is surely one of the most interesting and unique beers of this or any time.
Hey, I'm ready to try a pint. Sounds interesting as long as It dosen't taste like it came from the Eocene! I believe that the oldest beer was actually brewed in Iran ca. 5,000 BCE. It was mentioned in the Epic of Gilgamesh when Enkidu got smashed on it. There's even a recipe for it written on cuneiform tablets. My favorite brew is Porter. I found one recently called Great Lakes Beer and the porter is called Edmund Fitzgerald, named after the freighter. Damn good stuff. A little lighter than Guiness. Cap't Jack

Yea, the oldest readable text known to mankind is a beer tab.

My favorite beer is no beer. ;) Lois
I don't understand! come again. It sounds as if you've never tried no beer. You don't know what you're missing. ;) Lois
I agree with Lois. I've never tasted a beer that I would want to take a second sip of. If it wasn't bad enough, the addition of hops to make it nauseatingly bitter finishes it off. :zip: Occam
I am not a fan of 'hoppsy' beer. (IMO most) American micro-breweries seem to think that more is better. Blech. Give me nice malty beers from the UK and Germany any day. No beer is what I aspire to on work nights. :lol: Take care, Derek

Speaking of good brews, ever paid $7,600. For a bottle? The first bottle of Tutankhamun Ale sold for that much. Must have
Been damn good! I like beer but … Here’s nine others:

Cap’t Jack

Beer; ah, well now.
When I lived in England, more than 40 years ago (!) I drank either Mackeson’s stout or Watney’s Cream Label stout; I don’t think either is exported. But when I went back for a visit a few years ago, Mackeson’s was still around in a few places but Cream Label (the best, of course) seemed to have vanished off the face of the Earth. A nice English ale is Old Speckled Hen, but I don’t think it’s available everywhere. It can occasionally be found in Canada, but in minutely small quantities. Nowadays we get Newcastle Brown also; good stuff, but expensive.
When I first came to Canada you could get either lager, lager or lager, and fairly mediocre stuff at best; Labatt’s Blue, Molson Canadian or something called Extra Old Stock; the tastes were indistinguishable. More recently, however, some small craft breweries in B.C. and Alberta have been producing some pretty good beers; Race Rocks Whale Tail Ale or Okanagan Springs Ales can be recommended. I live in Mexico part of the year, but most of the local beers I’ve tried are fairly mediocre imitations of American lager. The only ones I’d recommend are Negra Modelo, or, failing that, Bohemia Obscura.
I’m no wine expert ( despite living for most of the year in the Okanagan Valley, one of Canada’s prime wine producing areas), but a Shiraz red goes down nicely with a meal; although my favourite Shiraz is (whisper) Australian (!)
For the hard stuff, there are several nice single malt Scotches, although personally I prefer the Speysides such as Glenlivet or Aberlour to the Hebridean malts, which seem to me to be somewhat harsh and bitter. Aficionados of Laphroaig will no doubt want to lynch me for saying that. However, some Irish whiskeys such as Old Bushmills or Jamiesons are the equal of any single malt Scotch, in my opinion. I gave some to a Scottish friend who is, truth be told, something of a whisky snob, and he pronounced it excellent - “very smooth and mellow.” I’m not a fan of Tequila, but here in Mexico I’ve found an amazingly smooth white rum called Salamandras, 65 pesos (a little over $5) for a litre bottle - for some things, Mexico can’t be beaten.
TFS

More of a whiskey drinker myself. Beer is fine, but took much volume for the alchohol! Aberlour Abunadh, Oban, Bushmill’s Honey
I do enjoy an occasional Anchor Steam, Newcastle, or Chimay

Sorcerer, Labatt Blue is a Pilsener.
I can see the possible room for confusion, but it is definitely a Pilsener. It’s stated right on the bottle.
It’s crisper, lighter(in body) and hoppier than “Canadian” by Molson for example.
That being said…it is not the brightest, skunkiest(which I love), Pilsener out there. I could see it being confused with typical
mass produced beers that claim to be lagers or pilseners.
Labatt Blue is my favorite beer. I prefer mass produced, well reputed beers over micro brews or craft beers.
I do not drink American Beers, because I feel they are NOT beer to begin with.
Labatt Blue is just a couple of notches away from being relegated to this “American” category for me.
But it suffices.
I live in Buffalo, which is also the largest consumer of Labatt Blue.( I like that.)
My next choice would be Heineken.(again due to mass production and universal availability) I don’t like to try different beers and switch around.
I get with a label that is good and stick with it. Yes I’m that guy. The loyal brand beer drinker.
Think Hopper in “Blue Velvet”…“Heineken??? Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!”(except reversed)
I lived in Germany for 3 years and I consider that to have been my beer awakening. Those were truly beer times.
Augustiner, Bitburger, Hasen Braeu, Koenigs Pils, Paulaner.
As a note, I have not had an alcoholic beverage in 5 years. I do plan to return to alcohol after a 10 year hiatus.
Or maybe I won’t.

Speaking of good brews, ever paid $7,600. For a bottle? The first bottle of Tutankhamun Ale sold for that much. Must have Been damn good! I like beer but ... Here's nine others: http://headoverbeers.wordpress.com/tag/tutankhamun-ale/ Cap't Jack
Wow. Pabst Blue Ribbon takes back the ribbon %-P funny to think - in the day it used to be a real premium America brew.
Sorcerer, Labatt Blue is a Pilsener. I can see the possible room for confusion, but it is definitely a Pilsener. It's stated right on the bottle. .
Pilsener is merely a variety of lager. http://askville.amazon.com/difference-pilsener-beer-lager/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=8510184 Either way, I don't like them. Never have, never will. Gassy, tasteless; beer for folks who don't know about real beer, in my opinion. TFS
Pilsener is merely a variety of lager. http://askville.amazon.com/difference-pilsener-beer-lager/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=8510184 Either way, I don't like them. Never have, never will. Gassy, tasteless; beer for folks who don't know about real beer, in my opinion. TFS
I see. Thanks for the clarification.

I’m with TFS. There are very few good lagers. Gimme a dark ale, and don’t try to shove that hoppy IPA crap on me.

Wow. Pabst Blue Ribbon takes back the ribbon funny to think - in the day it used to be a real premium America brew.
Yeah, no kidding. My first taste of beer was a PBR I stole from my father at the tender age of 15. He drank it during the War as that's all they were given and I guess he had a taste for it. I still prefer the darker brews, and the Weiss Brau too when I can get it. Cap't Jack

I used to like all kinds of beers, leaning towards the darker heavier brews.
There was even a while I thought New Castle was the bomb.
But, in the past couple decades I’ve kinda settled into a groove of those hoppy IPAs.
Now here’s the part I wonder about, I try all the IPAs that come through -
and though I’ll find this and that brew tasting good and worth repeat purchasing for a while,
I always seem to hit a wall, and it’s OK, time to move on.
Yet, I keep finding myself coming back with Sierra Nevada.
Now the head trip part of that is
How much does that preference have to do with my nostalgia towards the Sierra’s and that great label -
and how much is unbiased taste buds?
Of course it has be in the ball park of what I like,
but there are plenty of very good IPAs (or whatever other style you choose)
all having just slightly difference characteristics.
What why one? Is it sort of like love :slight_smile:

It was Seneca, or Cicero, or one of those old Romans, who said it first (as far as we know): “De gustibus non est disputandum”. Translated; in matters of taste there can be no dispute, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, etc., etc.
But I have a story to tell. I’ve already mentioned that Watney’s have apparently stopped making my favourite beer. But then there were tinned puddings that I used to like, in England many decades ago. My favourite was ginger pudding; but one day the manufacturer stopped making ginger puddings. “No demand for them,” I was told. More recently, in Canada, at the Food Emporium where I do most of my grocery shopping, there were some cheese scones I particularly liked; but one day -you’ve guessed it - I went to the bakery section, and - no cheese scones. I accosted a passing Emporium minion: “Where are the cheese scones, my good fellow?” “Oh,” he replied, “They’re not making them any more.” Appalled, I went to see the bakery department manager, and, sure enough, he confirmed that “they” - the mysterious, shadowy “they” - had ceased manufacturing cheese scones. “Not much demand for them,” I was told (!!)
Now, I’m not paranoid - at least, not very much - but if I was…
“It’s a conspiracy, I tell you, a conspiracy! Why doesn’t anyone believe me?..”
TFS

Solution TFS: look up the recipe and make them yourself. even beer. One of my uncles was fed up with not finding the taste he was looking for so he bought a rather inexpensive beer making kit and with a little experimentation actually found the taste he wanted. So he made a batch of it and gave me a couple of bottles. It was delicious, not to hoppsey, not to bready, juuuust right!
Cap’t Jack

It was Seneca, or Cicero, or one of those old Romans, who said it first (as far as we know): "De gustibus non est disputandum". Translated; in matters of taste there can be no dispute, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, etc., etc. But I have a story to tell. I've already mentioned that Watney's have apparently stopped making my favourite beer. But then there were tinned puddings that I used to like, in England many decades ago. My favourite was ginger pudding; but one day the manufacturer stopped making ginger puddings. "No demand for them," I was told. More recently, in Canada, at the Food Emporium where I do most of my grocery shopping, there were some cheese scones I particularly liked; but one day -you've guessed it - I went to the bakery section, and - no cheese scones. I accosted a passing Emporium minion: "Where are the cheese scones, my good fellow?" "Oh," he replied, "They're not making them any more." Appalled, I went to see the bakery department manager, and, sure enough, he confirmed that "they" - the mysterious, shadowy "they" - had ceased manufacturing cheese scones. "Not much demand for them," I was told (!!) Now, I'm not paranoid - at least, not very much - but if I was..... "It's a conspiracy, I tell you, a conspiracy! Why doesn't anyone believe me?........" TFS
I think you're right. It's one kind of conspiracy I can believe in. As soon as I find a good product, be it food or well-fitting clothing or shoes, I know that they are going to stop making it. I have to train myself that the minute I find something I like to buy 10 of them right away before the supply runs out. If you're any kind of a cook (or if there is a kind one in the family) you can make ginger pudding. There are several recipes on the Internet. Lois
It was Seneca, or Cicero, or one of those old Romans, who said it first (as far as we know): "De gustibus non est disputandum". Translated; in matters of taste there can be no dispute, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, etc., etc. But I have a story to tell. I've already mentioned that Watney's have apparently stopped making my favourite beer. But then there were tinned puddings that I used to like, in England many decades ago. My favourite was ginger pudding; but one day the manufacturer stopped making ginger puddings. "No demand for them," I was told. More recently, in Canada, at the Food Emporium where I do most of my grocery shopping, there were some cheese scones I particularly liked; but one day -you've guessed it - I went to the bakery section, and - no cheese scones. I accosted a passing Emporium minion: "Where are the cheese scones, my good fellow?" "Oh," he replied, "They're not making them any more." Appalled, I went to see the bakery department manager, and, sure enough, he confirmed that "they" - the mysterious, shadowy "they" - had ceased manufacturing cheese scones. "Not much demand for them," I was told (!!) Now, I'm not paranoid - at least, not very much - but if I was..... "It's a conspiracy, I tell you, a conspiracy! Why doesn't anyone believe me?........" TFS
Yea, I know what you mean. I still miss the cabbage rolls. Ham and cabbage cooked inside a bread roll by the bakery. Boy, they were good.

… then there’s magazines. I used to get Discover magazine through Publisher’s Clearing House, at a big discount and with a chance (!!) to win a fortune… but PCH doesn’t carry Discover any more. Several other magazines I used to take no longer exist. Then there was marine bits and pieces for wooden boats; no more, all nylon and plastic rubbish nowadays. And as for model railroad kits and components - don’t get me started on model railroad kits and components. “No demand,” they tell me. Well I’M demanding them, dammit…
Our civilization is doomed. Doomed!
TFS

And as for model railroad kits and components - don't get me started on model railroad kits and components. "No demand," they tell me. Well I'M demanding them, dammit.......
Have you tried MicroMark]? And if you get to the SF Bay Area, check out The Train Shop] in Santa Clara. (I couldn't find a company website for them.) Take care, Derek