Pop Culture You Don't Like

What are some pop - cultural things that it seems everybody likes, but you don’t. Movies, music, TV, books, fashion, sports are all game.
Remember not to include obscure things that you may like

For myself…
Movies Lord of the rings, comic book franchise movies, Forrest Gump, Quentin Tarantino movies, most WW2 movies.
TV Star Trek, “American idol” type shows, most stand up comedians, Law and Order, Stephen Colbert
Music The Beatles, most hip-hop, most country music, Mozart
Books The great Russian novelists (Tolstoy, Gogol, Gorky, etc.) Tolkien, Neil Gaiman’s work, Christopher Hitchens’ work
Fashion Flip flops, tattoos (especially on women), dark plastic frame glasses, skinny jeans, baseball caps

There are so many but I’ll name a few,
I haven’t watched any of the “Game of Thrones” or the “Twilight” series, or any recent movie. I wait till they are out on DVD, and then only watch them if I remember them.
I don’t like Rap music. I like classical music, including Opera.
I wear what is comfortable, not what is in style. Flannel shirts and black relaxed fit jeans.
I drive an old pickup truck, because I can haul stuff in it.
I like model railroading, and I don’t know what the “In” hobbies are.
I don’t watch sports at all, I didn’t even watch the super bowl. I will occasionally watch a sports car, or formula 1 race, if I can get it on one of the few TV channels that I can get.

For myself.... Movies Lord of the rings, comic book franchise movies, Forrest Gump, Quentin Tarantino movies, most WW2 movies. TV Star Trek, "American idol" type shows, most stand up comedians, Law and Order, Stephen Colbert Music The Beatles, most hip-hop, most country music, Mozart Books The great Russian novelists (Tolstoy, Gogol, Gorky, etc.) Tolkien, Neil Gaiman's work, Christopher Hitchens' work Fashion Flip flops, tattoos (especially on women), dark plastic frame glasses, skinny jeans, baseball caps
Well i can see why I rarely agree with your posts in CFI...you don't like Star Trek and you don't like the Beatles. Star Trek boils down to portraying a future Utopian society where everyone is equal and merit is the rule. And the Beatles, well if they came on the scene today, they'd STILL be considered ahead of their time. Some of your other choices, ya I agree (except for Colbert).

My choices:

• Music: Beyonce. I just don’t see the appeal. Her music is mediocre at best.
  • Sports: All professional corporate sports…except maybe hockey.
  • TV: reality shows, Game of Thrones…can’t make it through even 30 seconds of it.
  • Books: Harry Potter. So arbitrary it makes me wince.
My choices: ...except maybe hockey.
Many years ago A friend of mine went to Hershey Pa. to watch the fights, and a hockey game broke out.
Fashion Flip flops, tattoos (especially on women), dark plastic frame glasses, skinny jeans, baseball caps
If you had to choose between skinny jeans or baggy jeans, which one? I am so glad the "baggy clothes" have gone away and I hope they never ever come back! And I am 28.

Vampires. I’ll never understand how they went from being horrible monsters to sex symbols.
Zombies. Ditto.
Reality shows.
Auto racing, boat racing. Racing on foot I can understand, that’s pitting your own athletic ability against a group of others, plus it’s good exercise. But spending thousands of dollars building a car with a souped up engine, just so you can buzz around and around a track with a bunch of other people, polluting the air while people scream at you? It makes even less sense to do all that on the water, where you’re also disturbing all the creatures who live there.

Vampires. I'll never understand how they went from being horrible monsters to sex symbols. Zombies. Ditto. Reality shows. Auto racing, boat racing. Racing on foot I can understand, that's pitting your own athletic ability against a group of others, plus it's good exercise. But spending thousands of dollars building a car with a souped up engine, just so you can buzz around and around a track with a bunch of other people, polluting the air while people scream at you? It makes even less sense to do all that on the water, where you're also disturbing all the creatures who live there.
Well just to play "Devils Advocate" there are a lot of technical advances that have come out of competition, that are now used on cars that are in everyday use on the road. To extend this just a bit farther, many of the technical advances that are now in everyday use have come out of the military, for use in war. The space program is another example of the development of technology that ordinary people now use. Without these areas that force technical development, technology would advance at a much slower rate, of course that has it's down side and it's up side as well. One last point, technology itself is neutral, neither good nor bad, it is how it is applied by people that determine whether the particular application is good or bad.

Fancy by Iggy Azalea. What an ugly load of crap.

Yep. That girl is all around terrible.
If you had to choose between skinny jeans or baggy jeans, which one? I am so glad the "baggy clothes" have gone away and I hope they never ever come back! And I am 28.Baggy.
Yep. That girl is all around terrible. I meant the tune. I don't really know anything about the girl.

I was in a place for a few minutes yesterday that had a professional Food Eating Contest on TV
with a sports announcer giving a blow by puke narrative of the thing.
Talk about a most disgusting low point in human society.
It was like driving by a crash scene, with disgusted eye’s glued on the Boob Tube, but I sure didn’t slow down either
as I took my glass of wine out of there and onto the patio where the scene was much more appealing.

If you had to choose between skinny jeans or baggy jeans, which one? I am so glad the "baggy clothes" have gone away and I hope they never ever come back! And I am 28.Baggy.like hanging below your ass :grrr: Many years ago I was working on a job site where they hired a couple temps. for clean up. The one guy had such baggy pants that he's cleaning up construction debris with one hand while literally holding up his pants up with the other. Then he was surprised that the super told him not to come back the next day. Now that was funny.
Many years ago I was working on a job site where they hired a couple temps. for clean up. The one guy had such baggy pants that he's cleaning up construction debris with one hand while literally holding up his pants up with the other. Then he was surprised that the super told him not to come back the next day. Now that was funny.
Haha, yeah I grew up around sagging].
If you had to choose between skinny jeans or baggy jeans, which one? I am so glad the "baggy clothes" have gone away and I hope they never ever come back! And I am 28.Baggy.like hanging below your ass :grrr: Pants like these are what I'm talking about http://www.mens-designerjeans.com/wp-content/uploads/image/mens-baggy-jeans.jpg

I don’t understand the current fascination with crime. I liked the original “Law and Order” (still do in fact), but all the proliferating spin-offs and hangers-on are just depressing. When was the last time we heard about an honest-to-goodness serial killer? But on “Criminal Minds” the run into one every week. And the writers have to keep inventing ever more horrible crimes and conspiracies to keep the viewers watching. Then there’s the various forensics shows. I never particularly liked the original CSI, much less its followers (although I do enjoy watching David Caruso do his tough-guy act). Real DNA testing takes days or weeks because there are usually backlogs. But they give the impression they just run it off on a computer like Star Trek. I don’t doubt that some of the technology is feasible, I just don’t imagine a real law-enforcement agency would spend that much effort on every single case that comes along. I remember one they built a full-size mannequin out of ballistic gel so they could test some theory they had. Really? Who pays for this stuff?

I don't understand the current fascination with crime. I liked the original "Law and Order" (still do in fact), but all the proliferating spin-offs and hangers-on are just depressing. When was the last time we heard about an honest-to-goodness serial killer? But on "Criminal Minds" the run into one every week. And the writers have to keep inventing ever more horrible crimes and conspiracies to keep the viewers watching. Then there's the various forensics shows. I never particularly liked the original CSI, much less its followers (although I do enjoy watching David Caruso do his tough-guy act). Real DNA testing takes days or weeks because there are usually backlogs. But they give the impression they just run it off on a computer like Star Trek. I don't doubt that some of the technology is feasible, I just don't imagine a real law-enforcement agency would spend that much effort on every single case that comes along. I remember one they built a full-size mannequin out of ballistic gel so they could test some theory they had. Really? Who pays for this stuff?
Wasn't there a "CSI" episode where they went into space? :lol: Yeah, those shows are wacky. Also the forensic scientists always carry guns and can make arrests; that's total BS.
I don't understand the current fascination with crime.
Nothing new here, crime has always been fascinating to most people - the weirder the better, it seems.

I like mysteries, and I like police dramas (to a certain extent). It’s just that lately they seem to wallow in the gory details of crime, especially the violence. I guess I’m a softie, especially when women are the victims. When I see a story where a woman gets beat up, tied up and put in a cage, I change the channel. This goes hand-in-hand with the current zombie craze too. I think I watched about three episodes of “Walking Dead” and lost interest. I understand it’s going on five seasons.