Watch Out For Them Wimmin Folk

The unofficial motto of Austin, Texas is “Keep Austin Weird”. I figure they’ve had a head start and won’t have any trouble meeting the challenge.

Austin city manager holds bizarre training session on how to deal with female-dominated city council
by Jen Hayden
Female city council members asking too many questions, as females do.
Residents of Austin, Texas recently elected several women to the city council. For the first time in the history of Austin, the city council now has a female majority–seven women and four men. Huzzah! Progress! But, not so fast. The change was apparently so overwhelming, the city manager decided to bring in a trainer to teach city employees how to deal with emotionally-driven women in the workplace. A sampling of the topics:
Women ask lots of questions. He learned a valuable lesson on communicating with women from his 11-year-old daughter, who peppered him with questions while they were on the way to volleyball. “In a matter of 15 seconds, I got 10 questions that I had to patiently respond to," Allen said. Allen says female City Council members are less likely to read agenda information and instead ask questions. He says it’s tempting to just tell them to read the packet, but “my daughter taught me the importance of being patient" even when they may already know the answer to the question.
Women don’t want to deal with numbers. Allen said in his city they used to have background information and financial analysis on the front pages of agenda forms. Allen says he normally would have presented the financial argument, but that his female commissioners would balk and say “Mr. Manager, I don’t want to hear about the financial argument, I want to hear about how this impacts the whole community." He said that it may make good financial sense, but if he wants to get the votes, he has to present his arguments “in a totally different way."
Women are taking over, Hillary Clinton will only encourage this. Allen talked about the general trend of more women getting involved in government, citing stats of more female mayors, for instance. “You see women in leadership positions…you will have to interact with them in a different way," Allen said. “I submit to you if Hillary Clinton just runs, just runs for the office, you are going to see even greater numbers in leadership position, if she wins, you will see even greater numbers starting at the bottom on top." He warns the staff to play nice with people on advisory boards or commissions because you never know when they become the elected official.
Needless to say, the women on the city council were not amused. Watch their reaction: Austin city officials, council members react to controversial training - YouTube
The video of the training session has been removed from the website for the city of Austin, replaced with a letter of apology and clarification from City Manager Marc Ott.
Read more about the training session at the Austin Statesman.

Wimmin ARE strange creatures, but I have noticed that they can be extraordinarily productive compared to men folk.

Re: Austin being “weird”, weird is a step up from dumbass, which could be more descriptive of other places in Texas. Of course no one wants a city motto to be “Keep (insert Texas town name) dumbass.”

Allen’s advice is mostly good.
This is an example of talking too much about the symptoms, rather than the disease.

Allen's advice is mostly good. This is an example of talking too much about the symptoms, rather than the disease.
What's the disease? Lois

old white men loosing their grip on power ? :sick:
%-P

old white men loosing their grip on power ? :sick: %-P
Aha, I think you're right! Lois
Allen's advice is mostly good. This is an example of talking too much about the symptoms, rather than the disease.
What's the disease? LoisPolitical correctness.
What's the disease? LoisPolitical correctness. I read this shortly after you posted that MP, seems to keep coming up in my thoughts like some proverbial cud, and I've been chewed on it, now and again, ever since. I'm really curious about what's going on there… Don't suppose you'd care to add any detail to what you are talking about? Or did you just toss that out there to get a RISE??
What's the disease? LoisPolitical correctness. I read this shortly after you posted that MP, seems to keep coming up in my thoughts like some proverbial cud, and I've been chewed on it, now and again, ever since. I'm really curious about what's going on there… Don't suppose you'd care to add any detail to what you are talking about? Or did you just toss that out there to get a RISE??Add detail about political correctness? PC is a term for the leftoid nonsense that Western society is drowning in. The "symptom" I was referring to is diversity. In the case of the Austin city government, why have women there in the first place?

I don’t know, I wouldn’t read too much into this. Women DO see the world differently than men and it’s a wonderful thing. The city manager just seems like he’s acknowledged the cultural change and embraced it in his own admittedly old school way. BUT he is embracing it and that’s what matters.
Just like it would be a mistake to force women to approach every problem like a man, it would be wrong to force men to address the challenges of changing gender roles only in a way acceptable to women.

Add detail about political correctness? PC is a term for the leftoid nonsense that Western society is drowning in. The "symptom" I was referring to is diversity. In the case of the Austin city government, why have women there in the first place?
I'd call "troll", but it is mid atlantic, so I gotta take on face value. The fun thing about the Internet is you get to see such a range of opinions. The challenge is usually figuring out how to respond, but with mid atlantic, the challenge is often figuring out just what the hell he is sayin'. I'm assuming that question is rhetorical in some way, but just what way that is, not too sure. And I think he is saying that women in government is leftoid nonsense, but that just seems too insane to be true.
I don't know, I wouldn't read too much into this. Women DO see the world differently than men and it's a wonderful thing. The city manager just seems like he's acknowledged the cultural change and embraced it in his own admittedly old school way. BUT he is embracing it and that's what matters. Just like it would be a mistake to force women to approach every problem like a man, it would be wrong to force men to address the challenges of changing gender roles only in a way acceptable to women.
How about forcing women to address the challenges of changing gender roles only in a way acceptable to men? Women have been doing things in ways only acceptable to men for millennia. Now when the tables are turning, you expect women to take the back seat yet again, because of mens' fragile egos? Lois
Or did you just toss that out there to get a RISE??
Add detail about political correctness? PC is a term for the leftoid nonsense that Western society is drowning in. The "symptom" I was referring to is diversity. In the case of the Austin city government, why have women there in the first place? OK, so the PC was vacuous but sounded good. Now this:
why have women there in the first place?
hmmm, people sure are curious things
What's the disease? LoisPolitical correctness. I read this shortly after you posted that MP, seems to keep coming up in my thoughts like some proverbial cud, and I've been chewed on it, now and again, ever since. I'm really curious about what's going on there… Don't suppose you'd care to add any detail to what you are talking about? Or did you just toss that out there to get a RISE??Add detail about political correctness? They were ELECTED! Do you not understand the political process? Lois PC is a term for the leftoid nonsense that Western society is drowning in. The "symptom" I was referring to is diversity. In the case of the Austin city government, why have women there in the first place?
Women DO see the world differently than men and it's a wonderful thing. The city manager just seems like he's acknowledged the cultural change and embraced it in his own admittedly old school way.
Add detail about political correctness? PC is a term for the leftoid nonsense that Western society is drowning in. The "symptom" I was referring to is diversity. In the case of the Austin city government, why have women there in the first place?
I'd call "troll", but it is mid atlantic, so I gotta take on face value. The fun thing about the Internet is you get to see such a range of opinions. The challenge is usually figuring out how to respond, but with mid atlantic, the challenge is often figuring out just what the hell he is sayin'. I'm assuming that question is rhetorical in some way, but just what way that is, not too sure. And I think he is saying that women in government is leftoid nonsense, but that just seems too insane to be true. Thats what I'm saying.
They were ELECTED! Do you not understand the political process? Lois
Of course I understand they were elected. My position is that people voted for them because of an acceptance of PC.
What's the disease? LoisPolitical correctness. I read this shortly after you posted that MP, seems to keep coming up in my thoughts like some proverbial cud, and I've been chewed on it, now and again, ever since. I'm really curious about what's going on there… Don't suppose you'd care to add any detail to what you are talking about? Or did you just toss that out there to get a RISE??Add detail about political correctness? They were ELECTED! Do you not understand the political process? Lois PC is a term for the leftoid nonsense that Western society is drowning in. The "symptom" I was referring to is diversity. In the case of the Austin city government, why have women there in the first place? I don't get your point. They are not there for diversity, they are there because that were elected. You might just as well ask why men are there in the first place and why they should remain.
Women DO see the world differently than men and it's a wonderful thing. The city manager just seems like he's acknowledged the cultural change and embraced it in his own admittedly old school way.
More likely in his own patriarchal and patronizing way. Lois