Shocking and Unacceptable Statistic for any Country but the US

2997 people died as a result of 9/11. 450,000 people have died since then from guns in the United States. (US Center for Disease Control)

2997 people died as a result of 9/11. 450,000 people have died since then from guns in the United States. (US Center for Disease Control)
Lois, why do you hate America? Why do you hate freedom? I suppose if someone slapped you upside the head with their Freedom gun you'd offer the other cheek. What a wimp. Oh by the way, why aren't you in church praying to Jesus? God bless america.

I seem to recall a Surgeon General that said something to the effect that guns were a public health issue. That is about the last we heard from that Surgeon General.

Another statistic:
1.3 million firearm deaths 1960-2012.
It is Holocaust proportions. More than all Americans killed in wars, ever.
http://www.vpc.org/gunviolence.htm

Lois, why do you hate America? I don't. It's gun nuts who hate America. The rest of the world thinks we are insane about guns. Why do you hate freedom? It's not freedom I hate, it's the laws that make the US the gun death capital of the world. A better question: Why do YOU hate America? You apparently don't care what America looks like to the civilized world, and you have no objection to the thousands of unnecessary killings in this country every year. No civilized country has anywhere near such a record. I suppose if someone slapped you upside the head with their Freedom gun you'd offer the other cheek. What a wimp. Oh by the way, why aren't you in church praying to Jesus? God bless america. A better question,"Why are YOU in church praying to Jesus while you pack a gun?" Apparently you don't think Jesus will protect you for all your praying. That doesn't sound like the action of a true believer. I'm not in church praying to Jesus beacuse I am a rational person. Rational people don't pray to or believe in gods.
Another statistic: 1.3 million firearm deaths 1960-2012. It is Holocaust proportions. More than all Americans killed in wars, ever. http://www.vpc.org/gunviolence.htm
Of the 1.3 million, how many were at the hands of the police?
Another statistic: 1.3 million firearm deaths 1960-2012. It is Holocaust proportions. More than all Americans killed in wars, ever. http://www.vpc.org/gunviolence.htm
Of the 1.3 million, how many were at the hands of the police? Too many. Lois
I seem to recall a Surgeon General that said something to the effect that guns were a public health issue. That is about the last we heard from that Surgeon General.
He was probably shot, lol.
Lois, why do you hate America? I don't. It's gun nuts who hate America. The rest of the world thinks we are insane about guns. Why do you hate freedom? It's not freedom I hate, it's the laws that make the US the gun death capital of the world. A better question: Why do YOU hate America? You apparently don't care what America looks like to the civilized world, and you have no objection to the thousands of unnecessary killings in this country every year. No civilized country has anywhere near such a record. I suppose if someone slapped you upside the head with their Freedom gun you'd offer the other cheek. What a wimp. Oh by the way, why aren't you in church praying to Jesus? God bless america. A better question,"Why are YOU in church praying to Jesus while you pack a gun?" Apparently you don't think Jesus will protect you for all your praying. That doesn't sound like the action of a true believer. I'm not in church praying to Jesus beacuse I am a rational person. Rational people don't pray to or believe in gods. Lois, I think Cuthbert was asking those questions facetiously (as if, he were a guns, and God-loving, backwoods, freedom-isn't-free American). I don't think he was asking for real.
He was probably shot, lol. I had to look it up. It was C. Everrit Coop, Reagan's Surgeon General. He died a couple of years ago of natural causes at age 96. In the search, I discovered that our current Surgeon General was delayed in being approved for his office, by Congress, for over a year, because of his stance on guns, which are much like C. Everrit Coop's.
Ok...... lets elaborate a little on this data: 60% of these firearms deaths are the result of suicide. If someone is going to kill themselves a gun is a pretty efficient tool to use vs. many of the other methods. Personally, if I ever decide to kill myself I'm going to set up a little tent with an air mattress inside; run a hose from my truck into it; put on some tunes; make me a gin & tonic and ahhhh....... go to sleep. But I'm not going to fault anyone for using a firearm to commit suicide as long as they have a little considerastion for those who have to clean up the hopefully contained mess....... Of the remainning 40% of homicide related firearm deaths (180,000) approximately 30% are JUSTIFIABLE! Which I can only interrpret as meaning on some level that about 60,000 peeps got what they deserved. (aka a Darwin Award) About 600 firearm related deaths last year in USA were ACCIDENTAL - again give them a Darwin Award. Considering all the hundred millions of guns in the USA; and considering it is the third most populous country in the World with over 300,000,000 people; this is a statistical ZERO..... There are many other countries in the world where per capita firearm related homicides are in fact MUCH HIGHER than in the USA. What are you doing in those countries Lois to promote responsible firearms use? Also as I elaborate; perhaps OP would like to choose the 6 year period of 1939 thru 1945 in Europe and tell me the number of firearms related deaths? or perhaps that in Asia? - same time period. or perhaps - back to good and Great Europe again - the period from 1913 thru 1918?? ........and since the only forces we secularists can embrace are those of Nature........what about the Christmas Eve Tsunami of 2004 that killed an estimated 400,000 people in a matter of hours???!!! (Not even the Nazi's gas chambers could compete with it.) Or the 1918 flu pandemic? Tell me Lois what are you doing for global medical science and geotechnology to 'foster a society based on science & reason'?? Thank you.........INTJohn Sent from my iPad

To change the subject to answer my curiosity. John, IPads don’t have keyboards, do they? Other than that damn screen touch method. Were you able to do your posts at all by voice? Reason, I am thinking of doing some traveling and I have a laptop, but I am thinking of traveling on a motorcycle and don’t want to haul much. I can’t do a msg very well with the smart phone like the younger generation. A tablet or ipad might work, if it uses the voice software. What do you think?

I think we can fix this gun problem with a written and physical testing of the people.
That way only the right people have guns.
Some of the test question I would like to see.
Do you wear blue? If yes, no gun.
Can you down a six-pack in five minutes? If no, then no gun.
Do you know the number of States in America? If no, then a gun and free ammunition, we need to get rid of this guy.

Ok...... lets elaborate a little on this data: 60% of these firearms deaths are the result of suicide. If someone is going to kill themselves a gun is a pretty efficient tool to use vs. many of the other methods. Personally, if I ever decide to kill myself I'm going to set up a little tent with an air mattress inside; run a hose from my truck into it; put on some tunes; make me a gin & tonic and ahhhh....... go to sleep. But I'm not going to fault anyone for using a firearm to commit suicide as long as they have a little considerastion for those who have to clean up the hopefully contained mess....... Of the remainning 40% of homicide related firearm deaths (180,000) approximately 30% are JUSTIFIABLE! Which I can only interrpret as meaning on some level that about 60,000 peeps got what they deserved. (aka a Darwin Award) About 600 firearm related deaths last year in USA were ACCIDENTAL - again give them a Darwin Award. Considering all the hundred millions of guns in the USA; and considering it is the third most populous country in the World with over 300,000,000 people; this is a statistical ZERO..... There are many other countries in the world where per capita firearm related homicides are in fact MUCH HIGHER than in the USA. What are you doing in those countries Lois to promote responsible firearms use? Also as I elaborate; perhaps OP would like to choose the 6 year period of 1939 thru 1945 in Europe and tell me the number of firearms related deaths? or perhaps that in Asia? - same time period. or perhaps - back to good and Great Europe again - the period from 1913 thru 1918?? ........and since the only forces we secularists can embrace are those of Nature........what about the Christmas Eve Tsunami of 2004 that killed an estimated 400,000 people in a matter of hours???!!! (Not even the Nazi's gas chambers could compete with it.) Or the 1918 flu pandemic? Tell me Lois what are you doing for global medical science and geotechnology to 'foster a society based on science & reason'?? Thank you.........INTJohn Sent from my iPad For suicide, I think a large caliber bullet to the brain would be most efficient and least discomforting, and if one is to be socially responsible one should probably lay out some plastic sheeting. The problem is that guns are so efficient, that some who do themselves in, may have been going through what would have been a temporary problem, met with an easy permanent solution to what could have otherwise, been a further enjoyable and productive life. So having a gun handy when one just happens to be going through a bleak profoundly depressed period, is not a good idea. Your further estimations of the number of gun deaths that may have been "a good thing", still leaves a significant number of gun deaths that were, presumably, not "a good thing". Hence trying to come up with workable ideas re: what to do about those, is in order. Now saying that " the only forces we secularists can embrace are those of Nature" and then going on to suggest that only events like tidal waves, pandemics, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc. are "natural" is an odd and, IMO, completely distorted view. In my view, as a secularist and an atheist, I believe that everything that occurs is a product of natural forces, including human behavior (and in the context of this thread, the human behavior of using guns).
Lois, why do you hate America? I don't. It's gun nuts who hate America. The rest of the world thinks we are insane about guns. Why do you hate freedom? It's not freedom I hate, it's the laws that make the US the gun death capital of the world. A better question: Why do YOU hate America? You apparently don't care what America looks like to the civilized world, and you have no objection to the thousands of unnecessary killings in this country every year. No civilized country has anywhere near such a record. I suppose if someone slapped you upside the head with their Freedom gun you'd offer the other cheek. What a wimp. Oh by the way, why aren't you in church praying to Jesus? God bless america. A better question,"Why are YOU in church praying to Jesus while you pack a gun?" Apparently you don't think Jesus will protect you for all your praying. That doesn't sound like the action of a true believer. I'm not in church praying to Jesus beacuse I am a rational person. Rational people don't pray to or believe in gods. Lois, I think Cuthbert was asking those questions facetiously (as if, he were a guns, and God-loving, backwoods, freedom-isn't-free American). I don't think he was asking for real. Ok, but I'd rather hear that from Cuthbert. Lois
To change the subject to answer my curiosity. John, IPads don’t have keyboards, do they? Other than that damn screen touch method. Were you able to do your posts at all by voice? Reason, I am thinking of doing some traveling and I have a laptop, but I am thinking of traveling on a motorcycle and don’t want to haul much. I can’t do a msg very well with the smart phone like the younger generation. A tablet or ipad might work, if it uses the voice software. What do you think?
Dragon is the app. I have tried it out on my iPad. It worked but I never seriously used it. I'd like to know about your experience. It seems like a good idea. You do haveto editthetyping, however. It sometimes gets things wrong. A friend used it and said Yoo Hoo. It came out as You Who. There are worse examples of typing errors. Still, it may be worthwhile. Lois
Ok...... lets elaborate a little on this data: 60% of these firearms deaths are the result of suicide. If someone is going to kill themselves a gun is a pretty efficient tool to use vs. many of the other methods. Personally, if I ever decide to kill myself I'm going to set up a little tent with an air mattress inside; run a hose from my truck into it; put on some tunes; make me a gin & tonic and ahhhh....... go to sleep. But I'm not going to fault anyone for using a firearm to commit suicide as long as they have a little considerastion for those who have to clean up the hopefully contained mess....... Of the remainning 40% of homicide related firearm deaths (180,000) approximately 30% are JUSTIFIABLE! Which I can only interrpret as meaning on some level that about 60,000 peeps got what they deserved. (aka a Darwin Award) About 600 firearm related deaths last year in USA were ACCIDENTAL - again give them a Darwin Award. Considering all the hundred millions of guns in the USA; and considering it is the third most populous country in the World with over 300,000,000 people; this is a statistical ZERO..... There are many other countries in the world where per capita firearm related homicides are in fact MUCH HIGHER than in the USA. What are you doing in those countries Lois to promote responsible firearms use? Also as I elaborate; perhaps OP would like to choose the 6 year period of 1939 thru 1945 in Europe and tell me the number of firearms related deaths? or perhaps that in Asia? - same time period. or perhaps - back to good and Great Europe again - the period from 1913 thru 1918?? ........and since the only forces we secularists can embrace are those of Nature........what about the Christmas Eve Tsunami of 2004 that killed an estimated 400,000 people in a matter of hours???!!! (Not even the Nazi's gas chambers could compete with it.) Or the 1918 flu pandemic? Tell me Lois what are you doing for global medical science and geotechnology to 'foster a society based on science & reason'?? Thank you.........INTJohn Sent from my iPad For suicide, I think a large caliber bullet to the brain would be most efficient and least discomforting, and if one is to be socially responsible one should probably lay out some plastic sheeting. The problem is that guns are so efficient, that some who do themselves in, may have been going through what would have been a temporary problem, met with an easy permanent solution to what could have otherwise, been a further enjoyable and productive life. So having a gun handy when one just happens to be going through a bleak profoundly depressed period, is not a good idea. Your further estimations of the number of gun deaths that may have been "a good thing", still leaves a significant number of gun deaths that were, presumably, not "a good thing". Hence trying to come up with workable ideas re: what to do about those, is in order. Now saying that " the only forces we secularists can embrace are those of Nature" and then going on to suggest that only events like tidal waves, pandemics, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc. are "natural" is an odd and, IMO, completely distorted view. In my view, as a secularist and an atheist, I believe that everything that occurs is a product of natural forces, including human behavior (and in the context of this thread, the human behavior of using guns). Isn't it worthwhile to do something about suicides and accidents? Guns make suicide too quick and easy. Many would not do it if no gun was available. "Justified" is a relative term. If there were fewer guns avaliable, there would also be fewer "justified" shootings. Somehow the population of countries like England manage without guns being freely available or legal. Why is that? All the arguments for guns could be made for bombs. Shall we have everyone carrying or stockpiling bombs (or hand-grenade type weapons)? Would that make you feel safe? After all, anyone could kill a whole gang with a bomb, or half a neighborhood, or all the kids in a classroom. As a defense, everyone could be armed with a bomb. What's the downside? After all, the Second Amendment doesn't specify guns. It specifies "Arms". Bombs are Arms, even nuclear bombs. So are missiles and machine guns. When was it decided that the Second Amendment only covers guns? Guns are not mentioned anywhere in the Constitution. Lois
Ok...... lets elaborate a little on this data: 60% of these firearms deaths are the result of suicide. If someone is going to kill themselves a gun is a pretty efficient tool to use vs. many of the other methods. Personally, if I ever decide to kill myself I'm going to set up a little tent with an air mattress inside; run a hose from my truck into it; put on some tunes; make me a gin & tonic and ahhhh....... go to sleep. But I'm not going to fault anyone for using a firearm to commit suicide as long as they have a little considerastion for those who have to clean up the hopefully contained mess....... Of the remainning 40% of homicide related firearm deaths (180,000) approximately 30% are JUSTIFIABLE! Which I can only interrpret as meaning on some level that about 60,000 peeps got what they deserved. (aka a Darwin Award) About 600 firearm related deaths last year in USA were ACCIDENTAL - again give them a Darwin Award. Considering all the hundred millions of guns in the USA; and considering it is the third most populous country in the World with over 300,000,000 people; this is a statistical ZERO..... There are many other countries in the world where per capita firearm related homicides are in fact MUCH HIGHER than in the USA. What are you doing in those countries Lois to promote responsible firearms use? Also as I elaborate; perhaps OP would like to choose the 6 year period of 1939 thru 1945 in Europe and tell me the number of firearms related deaths? or perhaps that in Asia? - same time period. or perhaps - back to good and Great Europe again - the period from 1913 thru 1918?? ........and since the only forces we secularists can embrace are those of Nature........what about the Christmas Eve Tsunami of 2004 that killed an estimated 400,000 people in a matter of hours???!!! (Not even the Nazi's gas chambers could compete with it.) Or the 1918 flu pandemic? Tell me Lois what are you doing for global medical science and geotechnology to 'foster a society based on science & reason'?? Thank you.........INTJohn Sent from my iPad For suicide, I think a large caliber bullet to the brain would be most efficient and least discomforting, and if one is to be socially responsible one should probably lay out some plastic sheeting. The problem is that guns are so efficient, that some who do themselves in, may have been going through what would have been a temporary problem, met with an easy permanent solution to what could have otherwise, been a further enjoyable and productive life. So having a gun handy when one just happens to be going through a bleak profoundly depressed period, is not a good idea. Your further estimations of the number of gun deaths that may have been "a good thing", still leaves a significant number of gun deaths that were, presumably, not "a good thing". Hence trying to come up with workable ideas re: what to do about those, is in order. Now saying that " the only forces we secularists can embrace are those of Nature" and then going on to suggest that only events like tidal waves, pandemics, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc. are "natural" is an odd and, IMO, completely distorted view. In my view, as a secularist and an atheist, I believe that everything that occurs is a product of natural forces, including human behavior (and in the context of this thread, the human behavior of using guns). Isn't it worthwhile to do something about suicides and accidents? Guns make suicide too quick and easy. Many would not do it if no gun was available. "Justified" is a relative term. If there were fewer guns avaliable, there would also be fewer "justified" shootings. Somehow the population of countries like England manage without guns being freely available or legal. Why is that? All the arguments for guns could be made for bombs. Shall we have everyone carrying or stockpiling bombs (or hand-grenade type weapons)? Would that make you feel safe? After all, anyone could kill a whole gang with a bomb, or half a neighborhood, or all the kids in a classroom. As a defense, everyone could be armed with a bomb. What's the downside? After all, the Second Amendment doesn't specify guns. It specifies "Arms". Bombs are Arms, even nuclear bombs. So are missiles and machine guns. When was it decided that the Second Amendment only covers guns? Guns are not mentioned anywhere in the Constitution. Lois Interesting point about nuclear bombs being arms and therefore, just as logically, covered by the 2nd amendment. But we shouldn't give the NRA any ideas.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/for-sale-mig-21u-warbird.html
Oh Lois, this is a good deal on a MIG 21 Warbird. We’re going to need you to pick that up, since a well armed militia will be required when Obama inevitably comes for our guns with the troops that are now training in the southwestern US (or so the crazies say).

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/for-sale-mig-21u-warbird.html Oh Lois, this is a good deal on a MIG 21 Warbird. We're going to need you to pick that up, since a well armed militia will be required when Obama inevitably comes for our guns with the troops that are now training in the southwestern US (or so the crazies say).
Haven’t heard that one. The main one for the last couple of years is Obama is going to use the Russian troops. They have landed and are here. That is why the government is using military planes with no numbers on the tail, to move these Russian troops around the country and get them ready to invade and take all the guns away from the people.