US gun deaths

I’ve heard that every one of Big Ben’s quarter-hour chimes marks another gun death in the US.
Shocking, if true, and it probably is. In fact, it’s probably short.
Lois

Maybe someone with experience of other countries outside of the US can chime in. The other day I was flipping through TV channels, and one after the other had some reference to violence. There was a movie, a TV show, history about some battle, even something on the Disney channel! It occurred to me, no wonder there’s so much violence in the US, it’s inescapable in our so called entertainment, and usually glorified. Do other countries have so much violence on TV? (And to those who will respond, violence on TV doesn’t cause someone to do violence I say bull…if what you watch on TV doesn’t influence one’s actions, why do so many companies spend so much on commercials?)

Violence in media, TV, video games, movies, etc. is not substantially lower in other countries out side the US. But gun violence is rampant here compared to other countries. I think there is a stronger correlation between gun violence, and the American love affair with guns and gun culture. And I think that love affair was concocted by the gun lobby, backed by gun vendors whose main impetus is to sell more and more guns. That lobby also helps pass laws that protect reckless gun use masked as " a right to bear arms" dismissing the responsibility gun owners are held accountable for in other countries. The decision to buy a gun has been removed from the serious responsibility that decision “used” to include.

Maybe someone with experience of other countries outside of the US can chime in. The other day I was flipping through TV channels, and one after the other had some reference to violence. There was a movie, a TV show, history about some battle, even something on the Disney channel! It occurred to me, no wonder there's so much violence in the US, it's inescapable in our so called entertainment, and usually glorified. Do other countries have so much violence on TV? (And to those who will respond, violence on TV doesn't cause someone to do violence I say bull...if what you watch on TV doesn't influence one's actions, why do so many companies spend so much on commercials?)
I have been watching violence on TV or movies of some sort nearly my entire life (57yrs) and I have never committed an act of violence. There are millions even billions exposed to violence on a daily basis and yet most all people are law abiding citizens. No, it is not a catalyst for guns or violence.
Violence in media, TV, video games, movies, etc. is not substantially lower in other countries out side the US. But gun violence is rampant here compared to other countries. I think there is a stronger correlation between gun violence, and the American love affair with guns and gun culture. And I think that love affair was concocted by the gun lobby, backed by gun vendors whose main impetus is to sell more and more guns. That lobby also helps pass laws that protect reckless gun use masked as " a right to bear arms" dismissing the responsibility gun owners are held accountable for in other countries. The decision to buy a gun has been removed from the serious responsibility that decision "used" to include.
Again, millions of people own guns. If those millions of people committed crimes with guns I would say there was a correlation but they don't. Many factors go into people being violent and using guns to perform these acts of violence, ease of getting a weapon is but one of many, many reasons. Let's address those issues, as well as mental health. Guns are a tool like any other, a means to an end, the perpetrator is the culprit not the tool.

I don’t actually think gun control is the problem. I think a lack of legal responsibility for owning and using guns is more the problem.

Violence in media, TV, video games, movies, etc. is not substantially lower in other countries out side the US. But gun violence is rampant here compared to other countries. I think there is a stronger correlation between gun violence, and the American love affair with guns and gun culture. And I think that love affair was concocted by the gun lobby, backed by gun vendors whose main impetus is to sell more and more guns. That lobby also helps pass laws that protect reckless gun use masked as " a right to bear arms" dismissing the responsibility gun owners are held accountable for in other countries. The decision to buy a gun has been removed from the serious responsibility that decision "used" to include.
Again, millions of people own guns. If those millions of people committed crimes with guns I would say there was a correlation but they don't. Many factors go into people being violent and using guns to perform these acts of violence, ease of getting a weapon is but one of many, many reasons. Let's address those issues, as well as mental health. Guns are a tool like any other, a means to an end, the perpetrator is the culprit not the tool. Nobody has ever been shot by a gun when a gun wasn't available. Here's an exercise for everyone who thinks Americans should have the right to bear arms. Make a list of your loved ones and acquaintances you would be upset to lose by gunshot Put yourself on the list. Check off the names you would be willing to sacrifice for the right of people to be armed. Make copies of the lists. Head it THESE ARE THE PEOPLE I WOULD BE WILLING TO SEE SHOT FOR THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. Pass them out to each of your loved ones and acquaintances and to the parents of the children you would be willing to sacrifice. Renew the list every six months. Lois
Again, millions of people own guns. If those millions of people committed crimes with guns I would say there was a correlation but they don't.
Lois-One of Big Ben’s quarter-hour chimes marks another gun death in the US.
The title of the thread is gun deaths, not gun crimes. Nonetheless, a good percentage of those gun deaths are due to crimes. Many more are tragic accidents. So seeing as how the title of the thread is Gun Deaths, I see a definite correlation between... "Millions of people own guns" and "every quarter hour someone dies from a gun." Seems like a correlation to me...have you read the Chicago Tribune in the past year or so?
Again, millions of people own guns. If those millions of people committed crimes with guns I would say there was a correlation but they don't. Many factors go into people being violent and using guns to perform these acts of violence, ease of getting a weapon is but one of many, many reasons. Let's address those issues, as well as mental health. Guns are a tool like any other, a means to an end, the perpetrator is the culprit not the tool. Nobody has ever been shot by a gun when a gun wasn't available. Here's an exercise for everyone who thinks Americans should have the right to bear arms. Make a list of your loved ones and acquaintances you would be upset to lose by gunshot Put yourself on the list. Check off the names you would be willing to sacrifice for the right of people to be armed. Make copies of the lists. Head it THESE ARE THE PEOPLE I WOULD BE WILLING TO SEE SHOT FOR THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. Pass them out to each of your loved ones and acquaintances and to the parents of the children you would be willing to sacrifice. Renew the list every six months. Lois False equivalency is a distraction not an answer nor a solution.
Nobody has ever been shot by a gun when a gun wasn't available. Lois
No one has even been run over by a car when cars weren't available. Here's an exercise. Check off the names of those you'd be willing to sacrifice to make your life more convenient...
Again, millions of people own guns. If those millions of people committed crimes with guns I would say there was a correlation but they don't. Many factors go into people being violent and using guns to perform these acts of violence, ease of getting a weapon is but one of many, many reasons. Let's address those issues, as well as mental health. Guns are a tool like any other, a means to an end, the perpetrator is the culprit not the tool. Nobody has ever been shot by a gun when a gun wasn't available. Here's an exercise for everyone who thinks Americans should have the right to bear arms. Make a list of your loved ones and acquaintances you would be upset to lose by gunshot Put yourself on the list. Check off the names you would be willing to sacrifice for the right of people to be armed. Make copies of the lists. Head it THESE ARE THE PEOPLE I WOULD BE WILLING TO SEE SHOT FOR THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. Pass them out to each of your loved ones and acquaintances and to the parents of the children you would be willing to sacrifice. Renew the list every six months. Lois False equivalency is a distraction not an answer nor a solution. What is then? You can call any argument "false equivalency," especially useful if you can't or won't address it. Lois
No one has even been run over by a car when cars weren't available. Here's an exercise. Check off the names of those you'd be willing to sacrifice to make your life more convenient... I had thought better of you, Darron. Lois

There are no simple solutions to complex problems. No one wants a friend or family members to die violently;that’s a given. The “gun culture” in America began four centuries back and was well in place before the NRA was even thought of so it’s more of a symptom than a cause. And as to the manufacturers controlling the organization, you have but to research the Smith and Wesson Company to see the impact the NRA has on the industry. it’s definitely the other way round. the Manufacturers are controlled by the customers. I’m not defending the organization; I personally think that Wayne LaPierre, their spokesman is a media whore who likes the sound of his own voice (one wonders why he hasn’t run for a political office in a red State) but there are NRA members who claim they don’t like him either. BTW owning a gun doesn’t make one a killer salivating to shoot another human. There are people of that ilk however; they’re called psychopaths and they use whatever weapon is available to them. And that’s the very reason that the gun laws must be enforced Nationally. Taking guns out of the hands of the mentally ill should be a first priority. I know that’s a red flag to conservatives, but until we have a set of standard laws covering every State these people will slip through the cracks of lax state laws and the killing will continue.
Cap’t Jack

No one has even been run over by a car when cars weren't available. Here's an exercise. Check off the names of those you'd be willing to sacrifice to make your life more convenient... lol, I thought the very same thing.
There are no simple solutions to complex problems. No one wants a friend or family members to die violently;that's a given. The "gun culture" in America began four centuries back and was well in place before the NRA was even thought of so it's more of a symptom than a cause. And as to the manufacturers controlling the organization, you have but to research the Smith and Wesson Company to see the impact the NRA has on the industry. it's definitely the other way round. the Manufacturers are controlled by the customers. I'm not defending the organization; I personally think that Wayne LaPierre, their spokesman is a media whore who likes the sound of his own voice (one wonders why he hasn't run for a political office in a red State) but there are NRA members who claim they don't like him either. BTW owning a gun doesn't make one a killer salivating to shoot another human. There are people of that ilk however; they're called psychopaths and they use whatever weapon is available to them. And that's the very reason that the gun laws must be enforced Nationally. Taking guns out of the hands of the mentally ill should be a first priority. I know that's a red flag to conservatives, but until we have a set of standard laws covering every State these people will slip through the cracks of lax state laws and the killing will continue. Cap't Jack
Agreed, also, until we actually enforce the laws we already have (which we don't nationally or otherwise) how do we know we need more. The laws are on the books but they are mostly ignored as pointless or unenforceable.
No one has even been run over by a car when cars weren't available. Here's an exercise. Check off the names of those you'd be willing to sacrifice to make your life more convenient... I had thought better of you, Darron. Lois So it's okay for you to use that analogy but not someone else? 0.o
Agreed, also, until we actually enforce the laws we already have (which we don’t nationally or otherwise) how do we know we need more. The laws are on the books but they are mostly ignored as pointless or unenforceable.
Case in point, The State of Georgia passed a law recently that anyone can carry a gun into a public place, even churches ( boy, the Prince of Peace would love that one!) so now if you shop at a Mall there you can feel safer because everyone's packin' heat and the bad guys don't stand a chance. A National blanket law might just stop this nonsense and keep dangerous weapons out of the hands of the untrained. All to often states don't enforce the laws for fear of agitating the voters who aree kept perpetually paranoid by gossip, rumor and sensationalism in the press. Cap't Jack
No one has even been run over by a car when cars weren't available. Here's an exercise. Check off the names of those you'd be willing to sacrifice to make your life more convenient... The difference is that guns have only two purposes--to kill and intimidate. There are no other purposes. Cars are not designed with the sole purpose of killing, but guns are. Guns are not a matter of convenience any more than bombs are. How do guns make anyone's life more convenient? It has been shown that countries with strict gun control laws have far fewer homicides. Nearly every day we hear of another mass killing in the United States by someone using the "convenience" of guns, many of the victims children. This doesn't count the unacceptable number of individual gun deaths by intention and accident. I, for one, would rather live in a country that does not provide the "convenience" of killing machines to every fool who manages to be living here. Lois

Speaking of the US “cowboy culture” some are so fond of citing and maintaining:
“The 1881 gunfight in Tombstone, Ariz., was actually sparked by an effort to enforce the town’s Ordinance No. 9: “It is hereby declared unlawful to carry in the hand or upon the person or otherwise any deadly weapon within the limits of said city of Tombstone, without first obtaining a permit in writing."
That’s right, City Marshal Virgil Earp and his brother Wyatt were attempting to enforce a gun-control law that cowboys were evading — a law that was rather common in the West, according to historians.
“Carrying of guns within the city limits of a frontier town was generally prohibited. Laws barring people from carrying weapons were commonplace, from Dodge City to Tombstone," said Adam Winkler, a professor at UCLA’s School of Law and author of Gunfight: The Battle over the Right to Bear Arms in America. “When Dodge City residents first formed their municipal government, one of the very first laws enacted was a ban on concealed carry. The ban was soon after expanded to open carry, too. The Hollywood image of the gunslinger marching through town with two Colts on his hips is just that — a Hollywood image, created for its dramatic effect.“……………………”

No one has even been run over by a car when cars weren't available. Here's an exercise. Check off the names of those you'd be willing to sacrifice to make your life more convenient... The difference is that guns have only two purposes--to kill and intimidate. There are no other purposes. Cars are not designed with the sole purpose of killing, but guns are. Guns are not a matter of convenience any more than bombs are. How do guns make anyone's life more convenient? It has been shown that countries with strict gun control laws have far fewer homicides. Nearly every day we hear of another mass killing in the United States by someone using the "convenience" of guns, many of the victims children. This doesn't count the unacceptable number of individual gun deaths by intention and accident. I, for one, would rather live in a country that does not provide the "convenience" of killing machines to every fool who manages to be living here. Lois Lois, mine was a bad analogy. I was responding out of emotion (exasperation really) because your post was not rational, but rather was a blatant emotional appeal and those have the opposite of the intended effect on me. I see by some of the other responses that I am not alone here. However, this is a CFI forum, and out in the real world among normal people emotional appeals such as the one you posted are exactly the kind of meme we need to change people's minds about gun laws. Texas only requires 10 to 15 hours of training to get a concealed carry permit. Some other states require even less training. That's about enough time to teach you how to load your gun, hit a stationary target from 10 feet and clean your gun before putting it away, yet the NRA insists that filling our cities with gun-toting citizens will make us all safer. I guess they've never heard of crossfire.