Trying to understand a past life regression trick by a hypnotist on television

Hi
I live in New Zealand and a few months ago a well known British (I think) hypnotist (I can’t recall his name or show title, sorry) performed a past life regression with a member of a live audience. I am hoping someone can provide an explanation as it seems impossible and paranormal.
The audience member was selected from a live audience. She lay down on a bed/gurney on stage. The hypnotist produced a folder and placed it behind her pillow advising the information held within the folder would be important later. She was then induced into a hypnotic state. She was led back in time (using a train as an image) to her past life. The hypnotist asked her to survey her surroundings and determine what her name and occupation was, her age, location and date. The hypnotist then brought her back to the present time (via the same train imagery).
The audience member was asked to describe the details of her past life experience, specifically the occupation, date, her age, name and location. She recalled working in a particular store at a certain date (1867 or similar) in a European city and at a specific age.
The hypnotist then produced the folder from behind her pillow and it had a birth certificate with the name and date of birth of the same past life person she described. The folder also contained a newspaper article with the name of the store and location that corresponded with her past life report.
Any thoughts on how this ‘trick’ was accomplished would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Hi I live in New Zealand and a few months ago a well known British (I think) hypnotist (I can't recall his name or show title, sorry) performed a past life regression with a member of a live audience. I am hoping someone can provide an explanation as it seems impossible and paranormal. The audience member was selected from a live audience. She lay down on a bed/gurney on stage. The hypnotist produced a folder and placed it behind her pillow advising the information held within the folder would be important later. She was then induced into a hypnotic state. She was led back in time (using a train as an image) to her past life. The hypnotist asked her to survey her surroundings and determine what her name and occupation was, her age, location and date. The hypnotist then brought her back to the present time (via the same train imagery). The audience member was asked to describe the details of her past life experience, specifically the occupation, date, her age, name and location. She recalled working in a particular store at a certain date (1867 or similar) in a European city and at a specific age. The hypnotist then produced the folder from behind her pillow and it had a birth certificate with the name and date of birth of the same past life person she described. The folder also contained a newspaper article with the name of the store and location that corresponded with her past life report. Any thoughts on how this 'trick' was accomplished would be gratefully received. Thanks.
The first thing that comes to mind is a "plant".

The simplest answer is that the person being hypnotized was not randomly selected, they were partners with the hypnotist. Seems too obvious I know, but has anyone done the simplest background check on the person?
Also, I’d need to see it. There are videos out there where “magicians” seem to be gathering random facts from the audience, then they produced a sealed newspaper with a story that matches those facts. They then review the event and show how they made subtle suggestions and got everyone to think they were making the suggestions, but they were just following where the magician was leading. Making suggestions to a hypnotized person would be even easier, although the part about it being one person on live TV does complicate it a bit.

Perhaps the “hypnotist” hypnotized the audience into thinking they saw the whole thing.
Just kidding. I don’t have to understand how an illusionist accomplishes his/her illusion, to understand that it is not actual MAGIC. This “hypnotist” performed a trick. Perhaps it was very clever and elaborate, or perhaps it was simple, subtle and effective misdirection. Either way, it was a trick.
How do I know? In order to believe it represented reality, one would have to believe not only in past lives, but also in pre-sentient mind reading. That involves three distinct supernatural phenomena. Believing in three supernatural phenomena is three too many.

Hi I live in New Zealand and a few months ago a well known British (I think) hypnotist (I can't recall his name or show title, sorry) performed a past life regression with a member of a live audience. I am hoping someone can provide an explanation as it seems impossible and paranormal. The audience member was selected from a live audience. She lay down on a bed/gurney on stage. The hypnotist produced a folder and placed it behind her pillow advising the information held within the folder would be important later. She was then induced into a hypnotic state. She was led back in time (using a train as an image) to her past life. The hypnotist asked her to survey her surroundings and determine what her name and occupation was, her age, location and date. The hypnotist then brought her back to the present time (via the same train imagery). The audience member was asked to describe the details of her past life experience, specifically the occupation, date, her age, name and location. She recalled working in a particular store at a certain date (1867 or similar) in a European city and at a specific age. The hypnotist then produced the folder from behind her pillow and it had a birth certificate with the name and date of birth of the same past life person she described. The folder also contained a newspaper article with the name of the store and location that corresponded with her past life report. Any thoughts on how this 'trick' was accomplished would be gratefully received. Thanks.
The first thing that comes to mind is a "plant".This.

It is only a show and as you mentioned yourself the hypnotists “performed” a past life regression. To me this is pretty much the same as David Copperfield used to perform his magic, flying etc.
Amusement, rather then scientific experiment or forensically sound procedure.

People who claim to be unrelated to the magician but that actually are is the most obvious lie. I saw one where a guy walked on water and people were swimming around underneath him. Anyone could easily guess that there are clear plastic steps just under the water, but with supposedly “real” people right there, it makes the trick much more believable. If it was you, you would see the plastic, but the plants swim in between them as if they aren’t there and look amazed at the guy walking above them.

The comedy magician The Amazing Johnathan had a shtick where he would take a personal item from an audience volunteer and begin to “pick up” all kinds of “psychic” vibes from it. “You are married… your husband is an entertainer… your husband is a magician… am I your husband?.. Sandra!!!” :slight_smile: