trump's Stalinist hatred of the free press...

…as according to REPUBLICAN Senator Jeff Flake.

Mr. President, near the beginning of the document that made us free, our Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson wrote: "We hold these truths to be self-evident ..." So, from our very beginnings, our freedom has been predicated on truth. The founders were visionary in this regard, understanding well that good faith and shared facts between the governed and the government would be the very basis of this ongoing idea of America. As the distinguished former member of this body, Daniel Patrick Moynihan of New York, famously said: "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." During the past year, I am alarmed to say that Senator Moynihan's proposition has likely been tested more severely than at any time in our history. It is for that reason that I rise today, to talk about the truth, and its relationship to democracy. For without truth, and a principled fidelity to truth and to shared facts, Mr. President, our democracy will not last. 2017 was a year which saw the truth -- objective, empirical, evidence-based truth -- more battered and abused than any other in the history of our country, at the hands of the most powerful figure in our government. It was a year which saw the White House enshrine "alternative facts" into the American lexicon, as justification for what used to be known simply as good old-fashioned falsehoods. It was the year in which an unrelenting daily assault on the constitutionally-protected free press was launched by that same White House, an assault that is as unprecedented as it is unwarranted. "The enemy of the people," was what the president of the United States called the free press in 2017. Mr. President, it is a testament to the condition of our democracy that our own president uses words infamously spoken by Josef Stalin to describe his enemies. It bears noting that so fraught with malice was the phrase "enemy of the people," that even Nikita Khrushchev forbade its use, telling the Soviet Communist Party that the phrase had been introduced by Stalin for the purpose of "annihilating such individuals" who disagreed with the supreme leader. This alone should be a source of great shame for us in this body, especially for those of us in the president's party. For they are shameful, repulsive statements. And, of course, the president has it precisely backward -- despotism is the enemy of the people. The free press is the despot's enemy, which makes the free press the guardian of democracy. When a figure in power reflexively calls any press that doesn't suit him "fake news," it is that person who should be the figure of suspicion, not the press.
At least one Republican still has a tiny bit of scruples and courage.
...as according to REPUBLICAN Senator Jeff Flake.
Mr. President, near the beginning of the document that made us free, our Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson wrote: "We hold these truths to be self-evident ..." So, from our very beginnings, our freedom has been predicated on truth. The founders were visionary in this regard, understanding well that good faith and shared facts between the governed and the government would be the very basis of this ongoing idea of America. As the distinguished former member of this body, Daniel Patrick Moynihan of New York, famously said: "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." During the past year, I am alarmed to say that Senator Moynihan's proposition has likely been tested more severely than at any time in our history. It is for that reason that I rise today, to talk about the truth, and its relationship to democracy. For without truth, and a principled fidelity to truth and to shared facts, Mr. President, our democracy will not last. 2017 was a year which saw the truth -- objective, empirical, evidence-based truth -- more battered and abused than any other in the history of our country, at the hands of the most powerful figure in our government. It was a year which saw the White House enshrine "alternative facts" into the American lexicon, as justification for what used to be known simply as good old-fashioned falsehoods. It was the year in which an unrelenting daily assault on the constitutionally-protected free press was launched by that same White House, an assault that is as unprecedented as it is unwarranted. "The enemy of the people," was what the president of the United States called the free press in 2017. Mr. President, it is a testament to the condition of our democracy that our own president uses words infamously spoken by Josef Stalin to describe his enemies. It bears noting that so fraught with malice was the phrase "enemy of the people," that even Nikita Khrushchev forbade its use, telling the Soviet Communist Party that the phrase had been introduced by Stalin for the purpose of "annihilating such individuals" who disagreed with the supreme leader. This alone should be a source of great shame for us in this body, especially for those of us in the president's party. For they are shameful, repulsive statements. And, of course, the president has it precisely backward -- despotism is the enemy of the people. The free press is the despot's enemy, which makes the free press the guardian of democracy. When a figure in power reflexively calls any press that doesn't suit him "fake news," it is that person who should be the figure of suspicion, not the press.
I doubt it. He's just distancing himself so that in a future election he can say he opposed donny. Underneath the hood though, he's just like all the rest of them.
I doubt it. He's just distancing himself so that in a future election he can say he opposed donny. Underneath the hood though, he's just like all the rest of them.
I think you've got something there. If the country survives the next few years, the next Republican move could be to raise taxes on the rich. This would only need to be a slight pulling back from the current lowering they just got, but they could then say they are doing it, and they could do something like increase debt payment, still maintaining that they can't afford to feed or education the children and still blaming Democrats for creating the debt, but appearing to do something noble.
...as according to REPUBLICAN Senator Jeff Flake.
I doubt it. He's just distancing himself so that in a future election he can say he opposed donny. Underneath the hood though, he's just like all the rest of them. That's why I said a tiny bit of scruples and courage, anyone still supporting what the republican party has become is not in support of the ideals laid down in the Declaration of Independence which were supposed to be codified in the US Constitution.

I spent some time trying to figure where to file this one, then I decided trump’s Stalinist hatred of our Freedom of the Press would be good place for an editorial by our once proud, now thread bear Fourth Estate while we still have one:

Scandal-Ridden Scoundrel Charles M. Blow - FEB. 15, 2018 https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/15/opinion/scandal-ridden-scoundrel.html ... When more than a third of the country — among them many who once considered themselves part of the “moral majority" — stand with a man who is the literal antithesis of all the values they once professed, that is a problem for America. They are no longer interested in the health of the democracy. Their mission and objectives have veered into a dark place where vision is short and risks and dangers are multiple. I know that it is a fool’s errand to try to convince these people that honesty, valor and character are fundamental requirements of the American presidency, and when they are lost from the office, the country itself is in peril. As Trump himself said during the campaign, “I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters." The enduring truth of that outrageous claim is a permanent stain that his supporters must carry. These people are not only hypocrites; they are au pairs to his obscenity. ...
I found it an interesting for the summary of the man and in particular our situation.

Way too much time on your hands. Are you going to analyze every piece of shit that is being drain from the swamp? I guess this might be a gauge to see if there are any America ideas and values left in the Democratic Party. Good luck! Flake has a state that over thirty percent of the children don’t speak English at home. Arizona holds the greatest numbers of illegal aliens than other states around the country. Arizona’s welfare program is entirely federally funded. Arizona now has one of the shortest times allowed for being on welfare. Making Arizona the welcoming doormat for illegals coming from the south to enter the United States. Staying one year in Arizona then moving to other states. Is Flake’s state, a state of the US or Mexico might be the question in a decade if the path is not changed.

Way too much time on your hands. Are you going to analyze every piece of shit that is being drain from the swamp? I guess this might be a gauge to see if there are any America ideas and values left in the Democratic Party. Good luck! Flake has a state that over thirty percent of the children don’t speak English at home. Arizona holds the greatest numbers of illegal aliens than other states around the country. Arizona’s welfare program is entirely federally funded. Arizona now has one of the shortest times allowed for being on welfare. Making Arizona the welcoming doormat for illegals coming from the south to enter the United States. Staying one year in Arizona then moving to other states. Is Flake’s state, a state of the US or Mexico might be the question in a decade if the path is not changed.
Ah, so you're a Native American huh. If not then you're an immigrant of one sort or another. And if you're an immigrant, even a chain immigrant whose parents came here so-called legally, you're still here illegally, unless the Native Americans passed a law or something allowing your immigrant ancestors in. Don't forget, we're ALL here illegally according to the original inhabitants.
Ah, so you're a Native American huh. If not then you're an immigrant of one sort or another. And if you're an immigrant, even a chain immigrant whose parents came here so-called legally, you're still here illegally, unless the Native Americans passed a law or something allowing your immigrant ancestors in. Don't forget, we're ALL here illegally according to the original inhabitants. And the state he's referring to and the entire US SW used to be part of Mexico, the language he is so obviously offended as being largely spoken in the region was the official language there until the US took the region by force.
Always with the blabber, and big claims. Again no sources. Nor even a coherent message of what those statistics are supposed to be telling us. Conjuring hypotheticals then pretending they represent some reality in crisis, when it don't represent the true facts on the ground at all. Why not get specific? Cause you can't Mike? :smirk: Why do you dismiss this article? Have any rationale you can explain and then defend?

You lionize a serious liar, a man obsessed with his image, a business bully, dead beat, womanizer and molester.
He made his political bones, harping on the lie of Obama’s Birth non missing Certificate, and other dirty-tricks at their racist zenith.
He tells people whatever they want to hear regardless, never means it, loves to keep people guessing.
Can you deny the mountain of evidence that supports everyone of those labels
I tagged onto this man, yet you seem to revere as some great politician or man?
Guess it should be no wonder you wave off every objection or appeal to rational humanity and constructive fact based dialogue.
What are you?
Who are you?
What is your reality?

You know Mike it took me a few minutes to catch up with how detestable a diversion that was.
What the hell does the immigrant issue have to do with what Senator Flake was talking about?
Perhaps if I pick up where Doug left off, it’ll help remind you.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/17/politics/jeff-flake-speech/index.html Read Sen. Jeff Flake's speech criticizing Trump Updated 1:50 PM ET, Wed January 17, 2018 I dare say that anyone who has the privilege and awesome responsibility to serve in this chamber knows that these reflexive slurs of "fake news" are dubious, at best. Those of us who travel overseas, especially to war zones and other troubled areas around the globe, encounter members of US based media who risk their lives, and sometimes lose their lives, reporting on the truth. To dismiss their work as fake news is an affront to their commitment and their sacrifice. According to the International Federation of Journalists, 80 journalists were killed in 2017, and a new report from the Committee to Protect Journalists documents that the number of journalists imprisoned around the world has reached 262, which is a new record. This total includes 21 reporters who are being held on "false news" charges. Mr. President, so powerful is the presidency that the damage done by the sustained attack on the truth will not be confined to the president's time in office. Here in America, we do not pay obeisance to the powerful -- in fact, we question the powerful most ardently -- to do so is our birthright and a requirement of our citizenship -- and so, we know well that no matter how powerful, no president will ever have dominion over objective reality. ... To be very clear, to call the Russia matter a "hoax" -- as the president has many times -- is a falsehood. We know that the attacks orchestrated by the Russian government during the election were real and constitute a grave threat to both American sovereignty and to our national security. It is in the interest of every American to get to the bottom of this matter, wherever the investigation leads. ...
Mr. President, let us be clear. The impulses underlying the dissemination of such untruths are not benign. They have the effect of eroding trust in our vital institutions and conditioning the public to no longer trust them. The destructive effect of this kind of behavior on our democracy cannot be overstated. Mr. President, every word that a president utters projects American values around the world. The values of free expression and a reverence for the free press have been our global hallmark, for it is our ability to freely air the truth that keeps our government honest and keeps a people free. Between the mighty and the modest, truth is the great leveler. And so, respect for freedom of the press has always been one of our most important exports. But a recent report published in our free press should raise an alarm. Reading from the story: ...
Way too much time on your hands. Are you going to analyze every piece of shit that is being drain from the swamp?
Ah, so you're a Native American huh. If not then you're an immigrant of one sort or another. And if you're an immigrant, even a chain immigrant whose parents came here so-called legally, you're still here illegally, unless the Native Americans passed a law or something allowing your immigrant ancestors in. Don't forget, we're ALL here illegally according to the original inhabitants. Native Americans were indigenous. There are no people originating in North America. As Americans we should protect our country. Having no controls of who comes and goes is not protecting our country. Please explain how I am an immigrant. I am an American.
Ah, so you're a Native American huh. If not then you're an immigrant of one sort or another. And if you're an immigrant, even a chain immigrant whose parents came here so-called legally, you're still here illegally, unless the Native Americans passed a law or something allowing your immigrant ancestors in. Don't forget, we're ALL here illegally according to the original inhabitants. And the state he's referring to and the entire US SW used to be part of Mexico, the language he is so obviously offended as being largely spoken in the region was the official language there until the US took the region by force. Thanks for that common knowledge, is there a point you are trying to make? Are you saying you would like Arizona to go back to Mexico? If you are, then backing Flake is going in the right direction.

All dictators and dictator wannabes hate the free press. They want no opposition. The first thing a dictator does the minute he gets some power is to shut down or take over the press. Trump would do the same if he could. Instead he denigrates it and thinks that will work for his agenda. The only people who agree are his right-wing sycophants. Anyone with any sense tuned him out long ago. Unfortunately we can’t get far enough away from his blabbermouth.

All dictators and dictator wannabes hate the free press. They want no opposition. The first thing a dictator does the minute he gets some power is to shut down or take over the press. Trump would do the same if he could. Instead he denigrates it and thinks that will work for his agenda. The only people who agree are his right-wing sycophants. Anyone with any sense tuned him out long ago. Unfortunately we can’t get far enough away from his blabbermouth.
Unfortunately they are like a third or better of our country.