Too true

It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so. -Robert A. Heinlein, science-fiction author (1907-1988)

Yup. Seems to be what happens.

Heinlein was a great writer. His vision of the future was fantastic in “I will fear no evil”. He saw humanity from a cynical yet progressive perspective.

Hello
yes you are right God create many people angry.

Yes. I’ve come to the conclusion that fundamentalism is normal. Christians today like to say fundamentalism hijacked their Jesus but they can’t seem show who that peaceful loving Jesus was. Truth is, since the Romans started supporting it, Christianity has a brutal repressive system. The enlightenment tamed it, and now the fundamentalists want it back.

It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so. -Robert A. Heinlein, science-fiction author (1907-1988)
It doesn't take any exceptional intelligence to recognize what has been so clearly confirmed by history and not least, by human nature itself!
It doesn't take any exceptional intelligence to recognize what has been so clearly confirmed by history and not least, by human nature itself! Define exceptional. A lot of smart people believe democracy and science were inspired by religion therefore the premises of those religions should be enshrined in law and used in scientific discussion. Michelle Bachmann didn't get to be a US Senator because she's stupid.

Sorry Dubious, but Lausten is correct. I’ve met quite a few exceedingly intelligent people who seemed incapable of seeing the logic of the history of economics, power, and human “nature”* (really behavior). It appears that we are all exposed to a number of premises when we are very young, and they become part of our “truth”, whether or not they match reality.
*Human nature is one of those premises that implies humans are programmed to act in certain ways. It ignores all those who manage to act quite differently from what the person’s argument is.
Occam

Sorry Dubious, but Lausten is correct. I've met quite a few exceedingly intelligent people who seemed incapable of seeing the logic of the history of economics, power, and human "nature"* (really behavior). It appears that we are all exposed to a number of premises when we are very young, and they become part of our "truth", whether or not they match reality. *Human nature is one of those premises that implies humans are programmed to act in certain ways. It ignores all those who manage to act quite differently from what the person's argument is. Occam
Thanks Occam. In my experience studying history, and reading critiques of people like David Barton, it's different than other sciences. If you are dealing with electricity and make a statement, I can find a scientific law or a specific entry in a book that is agreed upon by all electricians and I'll know if you are right or wrong. If you argue, I'll say sure, go ahead, lay that screwdriver across that battery, just wait until I'm behind this concrete wall. When dealing with history, if you have not studied a vast amount of source data in the era that is being discussed, it is impossible to refute what someone is saying. We have to rely on authorities. Watch any YouTube on "The New World Order", you'll hear Presidents saying things that sound conspiratorial. If you don't know the context of the words, the purpose of them, the intended audience and the general knowledge of everyone at the time, you could make those words mean something they don't. Religion relies on this. If you are indoctrinated into believing the world is a certain way, then your lens into history will be filtered through that.
It doesn't take any exceptional intelligence to recognize what has been so clearly confirmed by history and not least, by human nature itself! Define exceptional. A lot of smart people believe democracy and science were inspired by religion therefore the premises of those religions should be enshrined in law and used in scientific discussion. Michelle Bachmann didn't get to be a US Senator because she's stupid. When I said "exceptional intelligence" I was referring specifically to Robert A. Heinlein who obviously is a person of exceptional and creative intelligence. What I meant to say is that the quote as given being a truism is fundamentally understood by almost everyone confirmed by history and human nature. The chronicles of the former illustrate the latter. Also why would I need to define "exceptional"? The dictionary definition will do just fine. Is there anyone so exceptional as not to understand what is meant by exceptional intelligence which can take many forms? As for Michele Bachmann I can't comment because I don't know enough about her or even why she was mentioned in the context of what I wrote which obviously was misunderstood to begin with that being my fault for not being clearer. But having mentioned her, regardless of how intelligent she is or not, another very active truism in the rise to power is not what you know but who you know. It is obviously best not to be stupid but an exceptional intelligence can in some cases be a detriment which can actually put one in a minority and into a position of less power. But that's a separate subject!
Define exceptional. A lot of smart people believe democracy and science were inspired by religion therefore the premises of those religions should be enshrined in law and used in scientific discussion. Michelle Bachmann didn’t get to be a US Senator because she’s stupid.
No, she got there because her constituents are. And that may have been true during the Enlightenment when statesman gave tacit approval of religion stemming from their belief that ethical and moral instruction was necessary for a stable civilization, but had Jefferson and Franklin lived in the 21st Century they would in all probability have left out the politically motivated nod to religion. Cap't Jack