Darwin's autobiography page 92

I heard this one in a debate with Dawkins and some Cardinal, a rather snooty fellow. He claimed to quote Darwin

Another source of conviction in the existence of God, connected with the reason and not with the feelings, impresses me as having much more weight. This follows from the extreme difficulty or rather impossibility of conceiving this immense and wonderful universe, including man with his capacity of looking far backwards and far into futurity, as the result of blind chance or necessity. When thus reflecting I feel compelled to look to a First Cause having an intelligent mind in some degree analogous to that of man; and I deserve to be called a Theist.
Dawkins interrupted him claiming it was not true and the Cardinal gave the reference. He depends on most of the world accepting that if you can name a page number in a book, then you must be smart and you must be right. When I googled "Darwin's autobiography" the "page 92" part started to pre-fill, so I guess I'm not the only one who checked it. As you might guess, the next paragraph, the next sentence, clears it up.
This conclusion1 was strong in my mind about the time, as far as I can remember, when I wrote the Origin of Species; and it is since that time that it has very gradually with many fluctuations become weaker. But then arises the doubt—can the mind of man, which has, as I fully believe, been developed from a mind as low as that possessed by the lowest animal, be trusted when it draws such grand conclusions? May not these be the result of the connection between cause and effect which strikes us as a necessary one, but probably depends merely on inherited experience? Nor must we overlook the probability of the constant inculcation in a belief in God on the minds of children producing so strong and perhaps an inherited effect on their brains not yet fully developed, that it would be as difficult for them to throw off their belief in God, as for a monkey to throw off its instinctive fear and hatred of a snake.
Basically, he is thinking through what C.S. Lewis later used to sell a lot of books. That is, knowing we came from lower animals, we should distrust our intuitions about right and wrong. The big difference is he applies it to our belief in God as well. If we can doubt our moral intuitions, then we should doubt our beliefs as well. This online copy of the auto-biography also includes discussions about what lines were edited.]