Time, to a Cedar

I thought you might like this one @citizenschallengev4 .

It’s from Robin Wall Kimmerer’s “Braiding Sweetgrass”. She has some other work. She’s a biologist, so not the cosmic deep time, but she has a talent for understanding the perspective of very old things around us.

I’m finally finishing this book. Each chapter is separate, but they all weave together, so I’ve put it down to other things. It’s pulling everything together near the end. You would have to read the whole chapter to understand the “people made of wood” reference, it’s to the Mayan creation story.

What she’s pointing to is, science needs to understand it’s story, how a discovery of something in biology or cosmology is more than just some information that we can use.

I assume your talking about, Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants by Robin Wall Kimmerer

I’m going to have to add that to my listening list. I like the quote and it feels like it touches on the grappling match Write and I have going.

Never saw this before.
Sounds to me that it will confirm both our perspectives of the same thing.

The fact is that all biology consists of cells and cells communicate. It is what allowed the evolution of consciousness in the first place.

1 Like

For a taste of Kimmerer’s and others’ natural wisdom;

Some words of wisdom.

Doing science with awe and humility is a powerful act of reciprocity with the more-than-human world.”

Robin Wall Kimmerer