The wisdom of Khalil Gibran

“The lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host, and then a master.”
– Khalil Gibran

Your reason and your passion are the rudder and sails of your seafaring soul.
If either your sails or your rudder be broken, you can but toss and drift, or else be held at a standstill in mid-seas.
For reason, ruling alone is a force confining; and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction.
Therefore let your soul exalt your reason to the height of passion, that may sing;
And let it direct your passion with reason, that your passion may live through its own daily resurrection, and like the phoenix rise above its own rules.

“Life without love is like a tree without blossoms or fruit.”
-Khalil Gibran

“The lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host, and then a master. Now that’s a master worth serving.”
– Gordon Gekko

I like a good dose of wisdom too, but what I want and can’t seem to find is wisdom that can only be applied to Good, and those I consider good. I’m reading a book by a famous psychic medium (my wife thought it was written by a psychologist (was in a hurry and only saw the psych part :slight_smile: ). I figured I’d have a little fun. Well she talks about Signs being everywhere, and synchronicity, which is Carl Jung’s term for it. And lo and behold, not unlike the wisdom you guys quoted, all the Signs she describes are always for good things…that your loved one who just died is okay, that your choice to go back to college was a good one, that kind of thing. She never mentions the Sign some a-hole had that he was right to rob that old lady. Or the signs that a Hitler received to tell him his path was true.

I guess I’m just getting kinda sceptical as I get older and really starting to see that it’s really just a complete shit show, and all this so called wisdom doesn’t amount to much because bottom line, it’s usually “good-vs-evil” agnostic.

Not according to the old witch who squeezes the goat’s testicles and foretells disaster.
:scream:

For any BS fake help system to sell, there has to be something that at least looks like wisdom. It’s not hard to do. Just google Kahlil Gibran for instance :slight_smile: . Worse, I see people quoting Osho. Anyway, it is up to the reader to filter, to map the advice onto their real world experience and see if it fits.

I agree the world is full of BS. Every philosophy has flaws, and other philosophers that argue about it. It’s the ones that claim there’s is the one true answer that you run from.