The corporate media lying myth about 3rd parties

The corporate media are back at it decrying the presence of third parties in the presidential elections. Democracy is a sham when other voices are lectured to stay out of the tent. The msm and DNC are now on an all out attack to pressure cornel west to drop out.

Jordon breaks it down for us here

"I fear that love is not enough "

1 Like

Being off USA, i would rather agree that to forbid another party to enter the competition is undemocratic.

Now, in fact, each party is a coalition of people of many leanings. Some democrats are as far on the right as some MAGA, and some republicans would be well among the Democrats.

Traditions and political carriers seem to be as important as ideology.

But it seems to me that a clarification has been happening since the sixties.

The Lyndon democrats were a coalition of southern conservatives and industrial workers of north, west and east.

With the progresses of the civil rights, the south has globally left the democrat party.

I know i generalize.

1 Like

They are stuck in history. You know, the good old days when life was simple and well defined. You know, slavery made life so easy, for the slave owners.

New poll biden loses to trump

Not so sure

[https://www.racetothewh.com/president/polls]

Now, if Cornel West takes the responsibility of having Trump elected …

What a weird thing to say. Why would anyone think to blame West ??

Have you never heard discussions about 3rd party candidates tipping elections? Try turning on a radio. It’s not weird at all. Wrong maybe, but common.

Weird in todays world to even mention this as serious commentary. When have 3rd parties tipped elections?

I don’t know what you think “today’s world” is like, but it’s full of weird things. What’s normal? When were things normal? I can’t have a discussion with you until you clear that up.

One quick comment on the third parties, lately they can only influence, not really “tip”. I hope Biden has someone to debate this time around.

When have third parties influenced a election outcome? Weird

Let’s see

The third-party track record

There’s been a Green Party and Libertarian candidate every presidential year in recent elections, but they rarely get more than 1% of the popular vote in presidential elections.

Note: Figures below come from The American Presidency Project’s list of presidential elections.

> Green Party presidential candidate Ralph Nader appears at the National Press Club in Washington, DC, in November 2000.
Michael Smith/Newsmakers/Getty Images

►The recent years in which these main alternative parties do relatively well – 2016 and 2000 – also happen to be years in which the winner of the Electoral College vote does not win the popular vote.

â–şThe most successful third-party candidate many living Americans voted for might have been Ross Perot, who arguably spoiled the 1992 election for Republican President George H.W. Bush and allowed Bill Clinton, a Democrat, to win the White House with just 43% of the popular vote.

DALLAS, : U.S. independant presidential candidate Ross Perot(L) and his wife Margot (R)wave to the supporters gathered at Dallas' Reunion Arena 02 November for Perot's last campaign rally before the U.S. general election 03 November. (Photo credit should read PAUL J. RICHARDS/AFP/Getty Images)
VIDEO
Ross Perot remembered for quirky approach to politics

â–şIn 1980, the Republican congressman John Anderson ran as an independent and more liberal candidate than Democratic President Jimmy Carter on many social issues, according to a [New York Times obituary of Anderson]

(https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/04/us/politics/john-anderson-who-ran-against-reagan-and-carter-in-1980-is-dead-at-95.html).

That didn’t help Carter, already damaged by Sen. Edward Kennedy’s primary challenge. Anderson got more than 6% of the popular vote, although, like many third-party candidates, he polled much higher earlier in the campaign. Most voters tend to go home to their preferred party on Election Day.

â–şThe last third-party candidate to actually win an Electoral College vote was George Wallace, who in 1968 won five Southern states and 46 Electoral College votes as a segregationist with the American Independent Party. That was the first election after civil rights legislation signaled a realignment of Southern White voters against Democrats.

> Alabama Gov. George Wallace makes a speech at a fundraising dinner held at the American Hotel in New York City in October 1968.
> Hulton Archive/Getty Images

►The sitting Democratic president in 1968, Lyndon Johnson, decided not to run that year. But you’ll notice that with the exception of 1996, when Perot ran again, all those years with third-party candidates who registered more than 2% in the popular vote – 1968, 1980, 1992, 2000 and 2016 – were years in which the party that controlled the White House lost it.

Conclusion: The evidence is that a strong third-party candidate is bad news for the sitting president.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/17/politics/third-parties-elections-what-matters/index.html

What do you read? Are you still in school? I’m guessing you are young. After the 80’s, both parties got tired of the League of Women Voters taking 3rd party candidates seriously, so they took control of the debate platforms.

How Third Parties Are Kept Out Of Presidential Debates | HuffPost Latest News

Does that qualify as an educated intelligent answer to my question from an old voter looking in the rear vision of the politics he has lived through his long life ?

Third party voters would not come out to vote otherwise so you can put away your cock and bull story