Supreme Court Justice Thomas's right wing extremist insurrection loving wife Ginni Thomas

(okay fixed that)

Enquiring minds want to know.
Supreme Court Justice Thomas and wife Ginny Thomas’s right wing extremism is undermining the Supreme Court’s promise to be above partisan politics.

CNN’s Don Lemon speaks to reporter Jane Mayer about her new piece detailing Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas’ wife’s ties to right-wing groups. Justice Thomas and Ginny Thomas declined to be interviewed for Mayer’s article in The New Yorker.

This sort of unAmerican activity is important to be aware of. For a deeper dive into the swamp that is the new Republican Party of trumpian Totalitarians and their tools

Adam Liptak - May 3, 2021

WASHINGTON — Justice Clarence Thomas, who once went a decade without asking a question from the Supreme Court bench, is about to complete a term in which he was an active participant in every single argument. …

Is Ginni Thomas a Threat to the Supreme Court?

Behind closed doors, Justice Clarence Thomas’s wife is working with many groups directly involved in controversial cases before the Court.

By Jane Mayer

January 21, 2022
Is Ginni Thomas a Threat to the Supreme Court? | The New Yorker

… The claim that the Justices’ opinions are politically neutral is becoming increasingly hard to accept, especially from Thomas, whose wife, Virginia (Ginni) Thomas, is a vocal right-wing activist. She has declared that America is in existential danger because of the “deep state” and the “fascist left,” which includes “transsexual fascists.” Thomas, a lawyer who runs a small political-lobbying firm, Liberty Consulting, has become a prominent member of various hard-line groups. Her political activism has caused controversy for years. For the most part, it has been dismissed as the harmless action of an independent spouse. But now the Court appears likely to secure victories for her allies in a number of highly polarizing cases—on abortion, affirmative action, and gun rights.

Many Americans first became aware of Ginni Thomas’s activism on January 6, 2021. That morning, before the Stop the Steal rally in Washington, D.C., turned into an assault on the Capitol resulting in the deaths of at least five people, she cheered on the supporters of President Donald Trump who had gathered to overturn Biden’s election. In a Facebook post that went viral, she linked to a news item about the protest, writing, “ love maga people!!!” …

Elie Mystal: Justice Thomas Is Lone Dissenter On Issues That May Implicate His Wife In Jan. 6

With the Supreme Court’s approval rating at a new low, Justice Clarence Thomas last fall defended the court against the growing criticism that it has become too politicized. Meanwhile, Thomas is married to someone who is extremely politically active on the far right–Virginia ‘Ginni’ Thomas, an American attorney and conservative activist. Legal expert Elie Mystal joins Joy Reid with his analysis.

Elie Mystal is The Nation ’s justice correspondent—covering the courts, the criminal justice system, and politics—and the force behind the magazine’s monthly column “Objection!” He is also an Alfred Knobler Fellow at the Type Media Center.

Mystal is a graduate of Harvard College and Harvard Law School, a former associate at Debevoise & Plimpton, and a lifelong New York Mets fans. One of those things is not like the others. Prior to joining The Nation , Mystal was the executive editor of Above the Law .

Whites calling Blacks “Uncle Toms” is always funny.

Talk about precious, aren’t you the guy who thinks he can speak for women. Talk about funny.

Have anything of substance to add, regarding this black cipher on the Supreme Court?

Although considering his background, perhaps you feel a special affinity for him.

meow :smirk_cat:

citizenschallengev4 Please edit the title or I will, because Uncle Tom (or Thomas) is very racist. Call him Uncle Clarence if you want, but not Uncle Thomas. Thank you.

GRRRRRRRRrrrrrrr
(If the label fits.)
But, okay, I’m a guest here.

It’s fixed so that it’s not so racist now.

Black cipher??? Lighten up Francis.

I don’t care about Thomas one way or the other, but it’s not unusual for a judge to be influenced by those they interact with. Sotomayor was influenced by Puerto Rican gangbangers when she was young. As long as their rulings are within constitutional parameters there’s not much you can do about it.

Sometimes a pejorative is a descriptive.

Yes I am not a black man, (I’m one of the lucky whities, or my life would have looked very different), so lets hear what a black man (who’s achieved more than I have) has to say.

The Clarence Thomas myth that refuses to die

Analysis by John Blake, CNN
December 7, 2019

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/07/us/clarence-thomas-white-conservatives-blake/index.html

It’s the notion that black people despise Clarence Thomas because he’s a conservative.

It’s not only a myth but a con. Here’s why it matters now. …
(followed by 140 words)…

If there is going to be a reevaluation of one of the most powerful black figures in the US, it’s time we ground it in facts, not myths.

Thomas isn’t despised in the black community because he’s a conservative. Many dislike him because they see him as a hypocrite and a traitor.

Yet many white conservatives keep recycling the same selective stories about Thomas. These stories don’t just distort black culture – they carry an undercurrent of racism. …
(followed by 270 words …)

Here’s some news: Black people have been practicing self-reliance for centuries. We’ve had to, for survival. We know through bitter experience that white America’s investment in racial equality is sporadic. Racial progress has always been followed by a “whitelash.” …
(followed by 64 words …)

It’s almost impossible to find a revered black leader who didn’t preach some form of this message. …
(followed by 145 words …)

There’s something else many white conservatives miss: The contradiction between Thomas’ words and actions. …
(followed by 68 words …)

Thomas has lectured blacks about the evils of affirmative action. Yet he made it into Yale Law School because of an affirmative action program. …
(followed by 158 words … including Anita Hill drama …)

But it’s Thomas’ voting record that has cemented the cynicism many blacks feel toward him.
(followed by 46 words …)

And he joined a 2013 high court decision – Shelby County v. Holder – that eviscerated the Voting Rights Act, the crown jewel of the civil rights movement. …
(followed by 112 words …)

I have a theory. It’s part of what I call the Clarence Thomas con – a way to divert people’s attention away from the more unpleasant aspects of Thomas’ legacy. …
(followed by 438 words …)

He forgets his history

Here is where Thomas loses many black people. …
(followed by 261 words …)

He tells powerful white people what they want to hear

Then there is another part of Thomas’ persona that alienates some black people. White conservatives often portray him as a courageous truth-teller because he tells black people what they don’t want to hear.

Here’s another truth they ignore: It doesn’t take a lot of courage for a black person to tell powerful white people want they want to hear. In fact, they get plenty of rewards for doing so. …
(followed by 310 words …)

Thomas has employed his powerful position not to speak truth to power, but to tell power what it wants to hear, according to many black people. That’s why Thomas has been called the “anti-Thurgood Marshall,” …
(followed by 201 words …)

(John Blake’s article finishes with,)
Don’t fall for the Clarence Thomas con.

This from one who spews racism when talking about minorities.

That said, John Adams was influenced by his wife, Abigail, but he also told her that the other men in congress would only laugh if he tried to push for women’s rights.

The two had a great marriage and more civil, as well as equal, compared to other marriages of the time. So it’s not so unusual for men to be influenced by their wives. Clarence Thomas isn’t unusual. He’s a normal married man who loves his wife, just as John Adams did.

1 Like

History is filled with examples of amazing woman, supporting and improving their husband’s careers and legacies. My ‘under her thumb’ was more out of line and stupid than the Uncle Thomas insult.
After all, that’s why they made the proverb “Behind every great man is a great woman”

So let’s swing this back on point.

Over at Slate, Mark Joseph Stern details Ginni Thomas’s support of the rioters. Ginni has long been active politically (and she has no problem hiring controversial right wingers known for saying “I HATE BLACK PEOPLE”). She currently runs a conservative advocacy group, and from the very beginning of Trump’s term, she’s been looking to organize around his agenda.

As Stern points out, despite the brazen political advocacy of his wife, Clarence Thomas has never recused himself in any of the cases surrounding issues she’s involved with, and has reaped the benefits of supporting Trump. …

To me all this doesn’t matter one bit. What’s disgusting is that everyone acts like the SCOTUS is some how non-partisan. What a charade. If SCOTUS was truly non-partisan, members wouldn’t be selected by POTUS. Instead they’d be trained and groomed from the start to be non-partisan. They’d never be allowed to vote in an election, etc. Short of that, let’s get over this stupid notion that SCOTUS is somehow even the slightest bit non-partisan.

You’ve got a point there, though I think eliminating bias completely would be impossible. Or maybe even counterproductive.

I don’t really care what Blacks think about Thomas. Or Thomas’s social views. As long as he does his job, that’s what matters.

I think it’s more like the expectation is that they are non-partisan, it’s one of the main justifications for their life time tenure.
Of course in these times, honesty doesn’t even matter anymore, so let’s toss out the baby with the bath water and to hell with all of it.

Hooah.

The Drunken Driver Has The Right Of Way

The loudest have the final say,
The wanton win, the rash hold sway,
The realist’s rules of order say
The drunken driver has the right of way.

The Kubla Khan can butt in line;
The biggest brute can take what’s mine;
When heavyweights break wind, that’s fine;
No matter what a judge might say,
The drunken driver has the right of way.

The guiltiest feel free of guilt;
Who care not, bloom; …

Kind of reminds me of this old song

I won’t argue that.
The problem is one side had totally turned it’s back on honesty and truth and facts, in their singled minded drive to take over all the power

and J. Thomas belongs firmly within that group, with winning power & riches, being everything - and respecting honesty and FairPlay being rejected and mocked.

By Nathan T. Carrington and Logan Strother
2/4/22
Supreme Court Justice Neil M. Gorsuch is slated to speak Friday night at a Federalist Society conference. The Federalist Society is a conservative legal organization; this weekend’s event includes talks and appearances by Republican Party luminaries including former vice president Mike Pence, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, and Kayleigh McEnany, who served as White House press secretary under President Donald Trump. The news media have been barred from attending.

Supreme Court justices routinely speak at partisan gatherings like this. However, our research suggests that Americans see this as inappropriate for a judge — and that if the justices regularly repeat such behavior, they could erode public support for the court.

What is the Federalist Society?

The Federalist Society was founded in 1982 by students at elite laws schools who wanted to counter what they perceived to be a liberal legal establishment. …

“The justices cannot just sequester themselves until they feel they’re in a ‘safe space’ of ultra conservative leaders or MAGA heavyweights. And then tell us their role is just as a neutral arbiter,” says Chris Hayes.

Gorsuch’s Speech at Federalist Society Event Is Only One to Bar Media

• Supreme Court justice to appear at Federalist Society event

• His speech is only part of annual conference closed to media
    U.S. Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch is planning to give a closed-door speech Friday at an event sponsored by the Federalist Society, the powerful legal group that helped put him and two fellow conservatives on the court.

Gorsuch will join former Vice President Mike Pence, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis and former White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany in speaking to the annual conference of the Federalist Society’s Florida chapters. Gorsuch’s speech is the only part of the program to be closed to the press.

I started this thread because I figured she was going to be showing up in the news with a bit more regularity as the dirty dealings of the trumpster crowd get exposed. Here we go a new New York Times report by Danny Hakim and Jo Becker.

The Long Crusade of Clarence and Ginni Thomas

By Danny Hakim and Jo Becker Feb 22, 2022

The Supreme Court justice and his wife battled for years for a more conservative America. New reporting shows how far she was willing to go after Donald Trump’s 2020 election loss.

… The Thomases have long posed a unique quandary in Washington. Because Supreme Court justices do not want to be perceived as partisan, they tend to avoid political events and entanglements, and their spouses often keep low profiles.

But the Thomases have defied such norms. Since the founding of the nation, no spouse of a sitting Supreme Court justice has been as overt a political activist as Ginni Thomas.

In addition to her perch at the Council for National Policy, she founded a group called Groundswell with the support of Stephen K. Bannon, the hard-line nationalist and former Trump adviser. It holds a weekly meeting of influential conservatives, many of whom work directly on issues that have come before the court.

Ginni Thomas insists, in her council biography, that she and her husband operate in “separate professional lanes,” but those lanes in fact merge with notable frequency.

For the three decades he has sat on the Supreme Court, they have worked in tandem from the bench and the political trenches to take aim at targets like Roe v. Wade and affirmative action.

Together they believe that “America is in a vicious battle for its founding principles,” as Ginni Thomas has put it. Her views, once seen as on the fringe, have come to dominate the Republican Party. And with Trump’s three appointments reshaping the Supreme Court, her husband finds himself at the center of a new conservative majority poised to shake the foundations of settled law. In a nation freighted with division and upheaval, the Thomases have found their moment. …

The horror is that all this passion is poised to destroy our government and replace it with a me-first oligarch run anarchy - but so much of our US of America citizenry is so disconnected from paying attention to reality, since the mass media boob tube is doing such an excellent job of turning our population into frivolous consumer units, that they seem incapable of giving a fart.

Interesting update to this story, breaking news, as they say.

Ginni Thomas and Mark Meadows texted about efforts to overturn 2020 election
YouTube - March 24, 2022

Virginia Thomas, a conservative activist married to Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, repeatedly pressed Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows on efforts to overturn the 2020 presidential election in a series of text messages in the critical weeks following the vote, according to copies of the messages obtained by CBS News and The Washington Post. CBS News chief election and campaign correspondent Robert Costa has the breaking news.

Virginia Thomas urged White House chief to pursue unrelenting efforts to overturn the 2020 election, texts show

In messages to Chief of Staff Mark Meadows in the weeks after Election Day, the wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas called Biden’s victory “the greatest Heist of our History” and told him that President Donald Trump should not concede.

By Bob Woodward and Robert Costa - March 24, 2022

Virginia Thomas, a conservative activist married to Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, repeatedly pressed White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows to pursue unrelenting efforts to overturn the 2020 presidential election in a series of urgent text exchanges in the critical weeks after the vote, according to copies of the messages obtained by The Washington Post and CBS News.

The messages — 29 in all — reveal an extraordinary pipeline between Virginia Thomas, who goes by Ginni, and President Donald Trump’s top aide during a period when Trump and his allies were vowing to go to the Supreme Court in an effort to negate the election results. …

… When Meadows wrote to Thomas on Nov. 24, the White House chief of staff invoked God to describe the effort to overturn the election. “This is a fight of good versus evil,” Meadows wrote. “Evil always looks like the victor until the King of Kings triumphs. Do not grow weary in well doing. The fight continues. I have staked my career on it. Well at least my time in DC on it.”

So that’s what we have to expect from the God Fearing crowd.