Story of God, Morgan Freeman

I don’t have cable. Has anyone been watching this new series on National Geographic? Last night was episode 3.
I saw the first one on YouTube, but it looked like a bootleg. I can’t find any other episodes. It was good. Freeman makes jokes. They went to the oldest recorded story of life after death. It was only 4,400 years ago. I would have guessed earlier.

I don't have cable. Has anyone been watching this new series on National Geographic? Last night was episode 3. I saw the first one on YouTube, but it looked like a bootleg. I can't find any other episodes. It was good. Freeman makes jokes. They went to the oldest recorded story of life after death. It was only 4,400 years ago. I would have guessed earlier.
It was shown here, in Southern California. i didn't catch it. I figured it would be another religious proselytizing program. I think you might be able to watch it here. http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/the-story-of-god-with-morgan-freeman/videos/who-is-god1/

You figured wrong. You have to verify your cable provider to watch it on that app

You figured wrong. You have to verify your cable provider to watch it on that app
Sorry, i didn't try to run it so I didn't realize it had that requirement. They're getting too clever for their own good. Lois

No biggie on the link. There is even a worse one that is an advertisement for some sort of “free TV” website. It has the title of this program on it, but if you click on it, it has some annoying graphics and a message about clicking the link in the description.
I also meant that you were wrong in your assessment of the program. Although it’s true that even PBS has done that, this is definitely an open minded exploration of all religions. I first heard about it in an interview on “Life After God” podcast, with one of the filmmakers.
I’ll guess I’ll have to wait for the DVD, or whatever they offer after the season is over. I think it’s just a one short season thing.

When I hear of the story of god or any mention of the word god I always first ask which one. You really can’t get very far without first answering that question.

Which is what sets this one apart. I saw episode 1, some kind of rogue bootleg YouTube that was taken down, they covered early Egyptian afterlife myths, Hindus, and a few others. National Geographic has put up a lot of clips, but they are in random order and sometimes just dumb trailers. In those, they did include a Bible scholar, but she was talking about a theory that 666 was a code for Emperor Nero, the guy who destroyed the 2nd temple.
Honestly, I don’t know of a better documentary on God, and I’ve watched quite a few.

I don't have cable. Has anyone been watching this new series on National Geographic? Last night was episode 3. I saw the first one on YouTube, but it looked like a bootleg. I can't find any other episodes. It was good. Freeman makes jokes. They went to the oldest recorded story of life after death. It was only 4,400 years ago. I would have guessed earlier.
Maybe it was just the earliest KNOWN.
Maybe it was just the earliest KNOWN. I don't know how much more clear "oldest recorded" can be. Of course that's the difficulty of history. To make a claim, you need evidence. Even if you are standing in front of a living person, your evidence of their thoughts is limited. The hieroglyphs on the wall don't tell us what the king really thought, his slaves thought, etc. I think it's a fair assumption that if an emperor had it on his tomb wall, someone had thought it before that.

Can’t watch it online either but i just set my cable box to record the series. If NGC repeats the earlier episodes I’ll get to see those also.

Which is what sets this one apart. I saw episode 1, some kind of rogue bootleg YouTube that was taken down, they covered early Egyptian afterlife myths, Hindus, and a few others. National Geographic has put up a lot of clips, but they are in random order and sometimes just dumb trailers. In those, they did include a Bible scholar, but she was talking about a theory that 666 was a code for Emperor Nero, the guy who destroyed the 2nd temple. Honestly, I don't know of a better documentary on God, and I've watched quite a few.
(random order)?

Yeah, they go in a random order on my YouTube searches. They might be ordered a little better on the National Geo site, but they still are broken up, and interspersed with interviews and trailers.

Dead Theard

Dead Theard
Really dead. Nobody even corrected my spelling.

If you find a way to watch this show without having the National Geographic channel, that would bring it back to life.

I don’t have cable either. No time. I use the internet. National Geographic will without a doubt have a video collection out real soon. I will watch it then. I got a question about the life after death, the caste system used in the religions of pre-history before deities was based upon being reborn in a upper or lower caste based upon how good you during your lifetime. The eleven levels of heaven was where your soul went to before you were reborn. So in talking about the first recorded story, they most likely don’t date when the story was first told. I think it was also recorded about that time, the story of the first man to visit both heaven and hell and return.
I don’t have cable either. No time. I use the internet. National Geographic will without a doubt have a video collection out real soon. I will watch it then. I got a question about the life after death, the caste system used in the religions of pre-history before deities was based upon being reborn in a upper or lower caste based upon how good you during your lifetime. The eleven levels of heaven was where your soul went to before you were reborn. So in talking about the first recorded story, they most likely don’t date when the story was first told. I think it was also recorded about that time, the story of the first man to visit both heaven and hell and return. Name one of these "caste systems in pre-history", one place and time. Just one. Or shut up. ]
I don’t have cable either. No time. I use the internet. National Geographic will without a doubt have a video collection out real soon. I will watch it then. I got a question about the life after death, the caste system used in the religions of pre-history before deities was based upon being reborn in a upper or lower caste based upon how good you during your lifetime. The eleven levels of heaven was where your soul went to before you were reborn. So in talking about the first recorded story, they most likely don’t date when the story was first told. I think it was also recorded about that time, the story of the first man to visit both heaven and hell and return. Name one of these "caste systems in pre-history", one place and time. Just one. Or shut up. ] You lazy butt. Try typing “prehistory caste system" then take your pick. Or try "rig veda" in Wikipedia and jump to prehistoric derivation. Or try "prehistory and the Harappans Civilization". .google.com/search?q=prehistoric+caste+system&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=955&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiArOzm8s3MAhUK6GMKHWmHANgQsAQIGw .ushistory.org/civ/8b.asp What you posted was only related to Hinduism on the caste subject. As the caste system is still used today in countries like India, Nepal and Sri Lanka. It is the one of bases for religions and laws over time.

Found this on India
1200-900 B.C.
Composition of the Purusha Sukta, a hymn in the Rigveda, the earliest Sanskrit text and a foundation of the later Hindu tradition. It describes the creation of the world from the sacrifice of a cosmic man, from whose mouth, arms, thighs and feet emerge the four classes, or varnas, of society. This is the first textual representation of a system of social stratification that will later be known as caste.
And this on the Harrapan’s, with the earliest dates for them at 3000 BC
The Harappan civilization experienced its height around 2500 BC and began to decline about 2000 BC. The causes of its downfall are not certain. One theory suggests that the Aryan people migrated into this area. Aryan religious texts and human remains in Mohenjo-Daro suggest that the Aryans may have violently entered the area, killing its inhabitants and burning the cities.
And what we’re talking about is
Egyptian burial is the common term for the ancient Egyptian funerary rituals concerning death and the soul’s journey to the afterlife. Eternity, according to the historian Bunson, “was the common destination of each man, woman and child in Egypt" (87) but not eternity’ as in an afterlife above the clouds but, rather, an eternal Egypt which mirrored one’s life on earth. The afterlife for the ancient Egyptians was The Field of Reeds which was a perfect reflection of the life one had lived on earth. Egyptian burial rites were practiced as early as <strong>4000 BCE </strong>and reflect this vision of eternity. The earliest preserved body from a tomb is that of so-called Ginger’, discovered in Gebelein, Egypt, and dated to 3400 BCE. Burial rites changed over time between c. 4000 BCE and 30 BCE but the constant focus was on eternal life and the certainty of personal existence beyond death. This belief became well-known throughout the ancient world via cultural transmission through trade (notably by way of the Silk Road) and came to influence other civilizations and religions. It is thought to have served as an inspiration for the Christian vision of eternal life and a major influence on burial practices in other cultures.
Lazy butt

Lausten,
Thanks for the data. Didn’t know you could travel that far from Christianity.
Keep in mind that Sanskrit texts of Rigveda are only translations. Translations have to taken with a grain of salt.
We have more unanswered questions about the Harappans civilization than answers at this time.
My greatest interest right now is the time period from 1700 BC to 1300 BC. Hoping to understand that time period and that it will open some key understanding points about prehistory.
In the lowest of the caste system levels was the untouchables and the “children of god". I don’t know what they mean by the “children of god" and I have not been able to date this lower caste. I think there is a translation problem here. It is understood that workers had upper and lower gods above them in prehistory. And there is no sign of any deities. God basically meant a form of “knowledge". Knowledge was power. These were the people of knowledge. Remember the first colleges came from this area. And India ruled China for over a thousand years without one soldier, using only knowledge.
There are so many theories, that common sense has to applied. Another problem is Jerusalem. Go back in time and it is Salem, or “City of the Gods". How far back in time and what do they mean by “City of the Gods"? Sixteen miles away is Jericho and the building in Jericho goes back ten thousand years. The burials at that time were sky burials.
As far as Egypt, it goes back ten thousand years. We only have a lot of data on newer periods. The key to understanding older Egypt will most likely happen when they find the Port of Perunefer. We have sky burial of India verses ground burial of Egypt. Canaan history has both sky and ground burials. And Egypt’s religion that we understand comes in history time. Prehistory has to do with the boats and sky which we don’t understand verses “The Word" or historical times.
One more point about rig Veda. Veda means “knowledge". Same as Gnostic. Point being we are not researching religion. We are researching the history of mankind’s knowledge.