Songs that deliver "understated profundity"

Since it’s high time for something a little more fun and light hearted,
this evening while walking Maddy, an old song came to mind unbidden, timing was right and it inspired me to mention it over here.
Still trying to figure out exactly why I’ve loved it from the first time I really listen it to at my digs at Camp Curry employee tent village, Yosemite National Park as a young pup fresh out of high school in the summer of '73. The wording, rhythm, sentiment fascinated me, over four decades and it still does. Understated profundity. To me it seemed like such a wonderful caricature of the All American dream and the fantasy hollyworld most people were dissolving into and what I was running away from, even though he makes it sound so cozy.
Does the notion of understated profundity strike a chord?
Anyone have any song that fits the bill?
Here’s my first contribution.
Elton John - Roy Rogers (Yellow Brick Road 15 of 21) - 1973 (a very good year :cheese: )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGIds7cSf3U
Lyrics

Sometimes you dream, sometimes it seems There's nothing there at all You just seem older than yesterday And you're waiting for tomorrow to call You draw to the curtains and one thing's for certain You're cozy in your little room The carpet's all paid for, God bless the TV Let's go shoot a hole in the moon Oh, and Roy Rogers is riding tonight Returning to our silver screens Comic book characters never grow old Evergreen heroes whose stories were told Oh the great sequin cowboy who sings of the plains Of roundups and rustlers and home on the range Turn on the TV, shut out the lights Roy Rogers is riding tonight Nine o'clock mornings, five o'clock evenings I'd liven the pace if I could Oh I'd rather have a ham in my sandwich than cheese But complaining wouldn't do any good Lay back in my armchair, close eyes and think clear I can hear hoof beats ahead Roy and Trigger have just hit the hilltop While the wife and the kids are in bed Oh, and Roy Rogers is riding tonight Returning to our silver screens Comic book characters never grow old Evergreen heroes whose stories were told Oh the great sequin cowboy who sings of the plains Of roundups and rustlers and home on the range Turn on the TV, shut out the lights Roy Rogers is riding tonight

I think these were (are) the zinger lines for me

Nine o'clock mornings, five o'clock evenings I'd liven the pace if I could Oh I'd rather have a ham in my sandwich than cheese But complaining wouldn't do any good Lay back in my armchair, close eyes and think clear I can hear hoof beats ahead Roy and Trigger have just hit the hilltop While the wife and the kids are in bed
Although, these are pretty good too. ;-P
Sometimes you dream, sometimes it seems There's nothing there at all You just seem older than yesterday And you're waiting for tomorrow to call You draw to the curtains and one thing's for certain You're cozy in your little room The carpet's all paid for, God bless the TV Let's go shoot a hole in the moon

Excellent stuff. Bernie Taupin was a great poet. I’ve spent 45 minutes looking for something to top this. Give me a day or two and I’ll find something obscure that compares.

Excellent stuff. Bernie Taupin was a great poet. I've spent 45 minutes looking for something to top this. Give me a day or two and I'll find something obscure that compares.
Yeah, Bernie was on a role, Candle in the Wind (talk about bringing out the humanity) and others, then with Elton penning that awesome instrumental, Funeral for a Friend - it was a gold packed Album. They made quite a team. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Banks of the Old Bandera, by Rodney Crowell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mc2qqPilDI

On the banks of the old Bandera where roams the barefoot child On Sunday go to meetin' shortcuts out along the high wire lines down a dusty road The hills there were bluebonnets like a printed cotton gown And summer rain falls down like honey sweet magnolia blossoms grow and old men dance Once we ran barefooted through a clover full of dew Once we learned to play like lone Comanches running loose What it made you feel like is a song But what it feels like now is gone I can hear the screen door slamming Run a foot race to the creek You can see clean to the bottom and deeper just depends on how you look, maybe where you stand Monkey vines and swimmin' holes lay just around the bend The rope we used to swing on now hangs tattered in the wind What it made you feel like is a song And what it feels like now is gone What it made you feel like is a song
Reminds me of my childhood. Can't listen to this without getting a tear in my eye.

Pink Floyd, Echoes
I’m sure almost everyone on these forums is familiar with this song and probably has it in their collection, but how many have actually paid attention to the lyrics?

Overhead the albatross Hangs motionless upon the air And deep beneath the rolling waves In labyrinths of coral caves An echo of a distant time Comes willowing across the sand And everything is green and submarine And no one called us to the land And no one knows the where's or why's Something stirs and something tries Starts to climb toward the light Strangers passing in the street By chance two separate glances meet And I am you and what I see is me And do I take you by the hand And lead you through the land And help me understand The best I can And no one called us to the land And no one crosses there alive No one speaks and no one tries No one flies around the sun Almost everyday you fall Upon my waking eyes Inviting and inciting me To rise And through the window in the wall Come streaming in on sunlight wings A million bright ambassadors of morning And no one sings me lullabys And no one makes me close my eyes So I throw the windows wide And call to you across the sky

Not sure how profound this is seeing as how it is about a teenager wanting to go to a whorehouse.
James McMurtry, See the Elephant

I saw Pete and Johnny too Dressed up in their Sunday suits Getting themselves all up to go Down to Richmond to the traveling show I fixed the gate like you told me to Done my chores like I always do And I wont tell mama you let me go Down to Richmond to the traveling show Please Papa can I go Down to Richmond to the traveling show Please Papa dont you say I cant I just want to see the elephant Ill borrow the truck from uncle Phil You know I can drive it well He wont need it now that the hays all in Just let me go and see the elephant Sister she cant go with me This is not for her to see Little brother youll get your chance To go down and see the elephant Little brother youll get your chance To go down and see the elephant Theyre looking for a few good men Could be war by summers end Sure would hate it if I went And never got to see the elephant I saw Pete and Johnny too Dressed up in their Navy Blues Gettin themselves all up to go Down to Richmond to the traveling show

And this thread would not be complete without Billie Holiday’s Strange Fruit

Southern trees bear strange fruit Blood on the leaves and blood at the root Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees Pastoral scene of the gallant south The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth Scent of magnolias, sweet and fresh Then the sudden smell of burning flesh Here is fruit for the crows to pluck For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck For the sun to rot, for the trees to drop Here is a strange and bitter crop
And this thread would not be complete without Billie Holiday's Strange Fruit
Southern trees bear strange fruit Blood on the leaves and blood at the root Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees Pastoral scene of the gallant south The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth Scent of magnolias, sweet and fresh Then the sudden smell of burning flesh Here is fruit for the crows to pluck For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck For the sun to rot, for the trees to drop Here is a strange and bitter crop
Yeah that's a knock you on your ass velvet glove for sure. Good call.
Banks of the Old Bandera, by Rodney Crowell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mc2qqPilDI
:lol: :lol: :lol: My gals in bed, Maddy is sleeping on the couch across from me, I was doing some quick flitting around before turning in myself. I clicked on your video nice and low, that harmonica. Maddy was all over it, up with a bark and makings of a snarl. Shhhh. She's down again, but guess we'll wait till tomorrow to listen to it. :cheese:
Not sure how profound this is seeing as how it is about a teenager wanting to go to a whorehouse. James McMurtry, See the Elephant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dfO4mINM90
I'll wait for tomorrow on this one too. ;-) Thanks
Banks of the Old Bandera, by Rodney Crowell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mc2qqPilDI
:lol: :lol: :lol: My gals in bed, Maddy is sleeping on the couch across from me, I was doing some quick flitting around before turning in myself. I clicked on your video nice and low, that harmonica. Maddy was all over it, up with a bark and makings of a snarl. Shhhh. She's down again, but guess we'll wait till tomorrow to listen to it. :cheese:Heck that wasn't a harmonica at all, but it sure got Maddy going. Nice sad song. Reminds me of places I used to play at that, that simply don't exist anymore, buried under asphalt and concrete. As for your next song, it was cool, but Darron allow me to raise the temperature a little: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs970lwHn2E :coolsmirk:

ok, that was pure silliness. I’m out of town right now. I’ll get back to something profound this weekend. With any luck someone else will join us.

Bill Miller “Reservation Road”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP9Onjroi6g
I was holding on to my grandad’s hand
He was pointing to the promised land
That lay beyond the reservation road
He said don’t make promises that you won’t keep
Don’t betray the earth beneath your feet
As we walked on the reservation road
And just for that one moment we were racing with the wind
And sound of horses thundering they echoed once again
Back to a place where our hearts and souls belong
A thousand dreams away from that reservation road
Then his spirit soared into the sky
Beyond the place where eagle fly
And my tears fell on the reservation road
Now a hundred moons have come and gone
And I’m holding on to my newborn son
One day he’ll walk on the reservation road
And just for that one moment we were racing with the wind
And sound of horses thundering they echoed once again
Back to a place where our hearts and souls belong
A thousand dreams away from my reservation road
I was holding on to my grandad’s hand
He was pointing to the promised land
That lay beyond the reservation road
It went way beyond the reservation road
Have you ever walked on the reservation road?
Let me take you down the reservation road
Like to take some Senators down the reservation road