Something about CFI

I saw this posted online and wondered if anyone here heard about it

Who is she?

What’s her message?

She’s pro GMO, I like her already.

She spoke out on CFI’s ineptness when addressing racial issues.

First I heard of it.

I saw that article and I thought I posted about it already.

OK maybe I’m confusing this with this thread: https://centerforinquiry.org/forums/topic/skeptics-movement-and-inequality/ I don’t know.

I think there is a place for skepticism to speak on race issues. Especially since in the past science was used in an attempt to justify it by implying blacks were an inferior species or something like that.

Well we are mostly white, here, I think. But even so, I don’t shy away from discussions about race and the persistent, and ubiquitous racial injustice that permeates our society, here in the USA.

But I imagine that only a small % of black people are atheists. And why should they be humanists? If you are perpetually considered in subtle, and not-so-subtle, ways to be “less than others” because of your skin color, how would that road take you to becoming a humanist? I wouldn’t think it likely.

So maybe, on this site, there are not a lot of regular posters who are black.

Likely not, I mean it is a small number I think that post regularly here and I don’t think many people know too much about this site (unless I am wrong). I just don’t like how some equate the lack of diversity in the organization as some kind of sign of being resistant to ideas.

Never mind. Thank you Mriana for clearing that up.

snowcity said: Likely not, I mean it is a small number I think that post regularly here and I don’t think many people know too much about this site (unless I am wrong). I just don’t like how some equate the lack of diversity in the organization as some kind of sign of being resistant to ideas.
I agree. The question is if CFI should actively pursue some racial quota or just being open to accepting applications from a variety of ethnic representations. I did alittl research and discovered that there are very few African Americans in that field. Should that be held against oceanography or perhaps lack of interest in a great etnnic diversity?
Ashanti Johnson (previously Ashanti Johnson-Pyrtle) is an American geochemist and chemical oceanographer.[1] She is one of the first female African American chemical oceanographers and the first African American to earn a doctoral degree in oceanography from Texas A&M University.[2]

Ashanti Johnson, Ph.D.

Nationality; American
Alma mater; Texas A&M University
Occupation; geochemist, chemical oceanographer
Employer ; University of Texas at Arlington
Known for ;Aquatic radiogeochemistry
Awards ; 2010 Presidential Award for Excellence in Science Mathematics and Engineering Mentoring, AGU Ambassador Award (2016)
John P. McGovern Award (2019)[3]

Ashanti Johnson is recognized as a scientist whose career transcends research to support the communication of science and the impact of science on society by Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Honor Society’s 2019 John P, McGovern Science and Society Award.

I would love to see someone of her caliber participate and inform us on the current activities in Oceanography. But if this eminent scientist is too busy to spend much time on public fora like this, I would hate to be accused of being prejudiced against African American oceanographers.

Personally I have always strived to visit and learn about the various cultures around the world. All cultures have rich and interesting histories, which can teach us about secular and theist humanities. But I cannot expect every one on earth to be eager to join me in conversation…that would be hubris… :slight_smile:

So maybe, on this site, there are not a lot of regular posters who are black.
Critical inquiry, like rap or basketball, is a cultivated taste. Some like it, some don't.

She was apparently trying to make CFI more “woke” and aware of its White Privilege. That is always a lost cause and CFI was smart to drop her ass.

Black lives matter.

So maybe, on this site, there are not a lot of regular posters in general. :frowning:

Guy, so spoken like a “Real” man. I am in awe.

Must be sooo comfortable within that cozy self-certain mindscape you hide in.