Soccer (in her moneybelt)

The US women’s soccer team has generated more revenue than the US men’s soccer team. Playing head to head, many agree that a match between the US men’s and US women’s soccer team would be competitive, and that the women’s team could win.
Yet the women are paid vastly less than the men. (What’s wrong with this picture?)

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/data-how-does-the-u-s-womens-soccer-team-pay-compare-to-the-men/ The US women's soccer team has generated more revenue than the US men's soccer team. Playing head to head, many agree that a match between the US men's and US women's soccer team would be competitive, and that the women's team could win. Yet the women are paid vastly less than the men. (What's wrong with this picture?)
A great deal. Another example of that All American mentality that one's personal profits must be maximized, no matter what the price, or injustice done. Victory to the most ruthless.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/data-how-does-the-u-s-womens-soccer-team-pay-compare-to-the-men/ The US women's soccer team has generated more revenue than the US men's soccer team. Playing head to head, many agree that a match between the US men's and US women's soccer team would be competitive, and that the women's team could win. Yet the women are paid vastly less than the men. (What's wrong with this picture?)
Interest in the US National women's team games against other countries is very high, but unfortunately women's League games do not draw sufficiently big crowds or commercial sponsorship to consistently generate enough revenue to pay the millions of dollars that some of the men's teams have access to. Having played soccer (goalie) in Holland, I love the game. IMO, it is the most difficult and demanding game of all team sports, a fact which is not yet recognized by the US public. But the game is still expanding and beginning to compete with Baseball and American Football for attendance and revenue. After all, the World Cup is the most watched sporting event, including the Super Bowl. But then soccer requires all the skills of all other teamsports combined. Living near the west coast I am a great fan of the Portland Timbers (no major American football club) and Portland has adopted the Timbers as its Home Team, even without the benefit of world class star players. Every home game is sold out. But to illustrate the general ignorance of even the simple concept of *stoppage time* is alien to people who watch sports where the game clock is stopped during stoppage of play. I heard three sports *experts* trying to analyze the meaning of stoppage time, which is added (if necessary) at the end of each half. None got it right. But I am encouraged by the commentators who take the time to explain the strategies and tactics of the game, even with graphics added to replays. With our abundance of great sportsmen and women, I have no doubt our men's National team will hold the World Cup someday. The women have led the way and created a wonderful story in the history of sports.
A great deal. Another example of that All American mentality that one's personal profits must be maximized, no matter what the price, or injustice done. Victory to the most ruthless. Actually, I think it would be more effective in maximizing profits, if the athletes that brought in the most revenue, were paid the most.

I have a better idea…just unisex all sports; hockey, soccer, football, baseball, basketball etc…
Then have tryouts and scouts for players. The team picks the players it feels can lead the club to victory.
From there…pay is based on potential and performance…just like now.

I have a better idea...just unisex all sports; hockey, soccer, football, baseball, basketball etc... Then have tryouts and scouts for players. The team picks the players it feels can lead the club to victory. From there..pay is based on potential and performance..just like now.
Not a bad idea. In that case our soccer team would likely have a good number of women from our current women's soccer team, and we would probably be more competitive on the world stage in soccer than the current men's team is now. And UNLIKE NOW, those women would be paid equitably.