Shock! Quentin Tarantino accused of being crass!

Seems Mr Tarantino has made film about the Sharon Tate murders. Arguably the most infamous and most gruesome some murders in Hollywood history.

The film received a six minute standing ovation at Cannes. The press were not as kind.

Sharon Tate’s sister has labeled the film"crass". A Quentin Tarantino masterpiece? Surely not.

Quentin works in Hollywood , and his films make a great deal of money. This tends to happen by pandering to the lowest common denominator ,certainly true of all of his films I’ve seen.

It is not illegal for a film maker or his films to be be vulgar and crass ,or indeed to make squillions of dollars.

I won’t prejudge. However, I find the subject matter especially sordid, and unappealing. At this point it is not my intention to see the film. I may change my mind

The reason I enjoy Tarantino movies is precisely because the over-the-top violence is fantasy. The thought of him doing a movie about real violence, ugh!, that seems very repulsive to me. I won’t be seeing it anytime soon.

“The reason I enjoy Tarantino movies is precisely because the over-the-top violence is fantasy. The thought of him doing a movie about real violence, ugh!, that seems very repulsive to me. I won’t be seeing it anytime soon.”

Yup. Same with 'The Terminator" ‘Alien’ and 'Predator ’ movies; they have an unreal cartoon-like air, so are not threatening.Unfortunately, there are a lot of horror films I have been unable watch with the same detachment–‘The Exorcist’ gave me nightmares.

The Exorcist scared the holy crap out of me. I was not an atheist when it 1st came out. I was working on a horse breeding ranch at the time, as a night caretaker. And I swear this happened, the night of the same day that I saw the Exorcist: I was walking thru a horsebarn: no other human awake on the entire ranch. The lights went off for no apparent reason. I stood there frozen, with nothing going on but complete darkness and the sounds that horses make. Eventually the lights came back on, for no apparent reason, and I was ok. Tho I might have felt like throwing up green pea soup for awhile.

Generally I find all chop up the teenager movies repulsive. e.g., all of the SAW movies, Freddy Krueger movies, Texas Chainsaw Massacres, any of that related genre - just repulsive, not scary, just repulsive.

Then why did you watch all of them?

“Then why did you watch all of them?”

That wasn’t my take. I have never seen 'Nightmare on Elm Street",“Halloween” or those movies featuring a chainsaw being applied to people. I did see the odd trailer, and read quite a few reviews. The subject matter was and is unappealing.

I’ve seen most of Quentin Tarantino’s films. I like two enough to rewatch occasionally.

A few years after the event, I picked up a book at an airport. The book was called "Helter Sketler’ and was about the Manson family’s gruesome murders. Also gave information on Manson, and each member of his "family. When I read that Tarantino was making a movie about those crimes and those evil crunts, I thought of Tarantino’s style. My immediate reaction was “YUCCHHH!’ Ain’t watching that!”

I’ve always thought Tarantino a was a creep. .Certainly an hauteur director, but no auteur. So far up his own arse he’s in imminent danger of disappearing completely…

I didn’t watch all of them, but I’ve watched enough to know them for what they are, and to cull out the genre from my entertainment repertoire. (e.g., I watched the 1st couple of SAW movies, but now I have noticed on cable that there is SAW V, SAW VI, and I suppose they will go on and on.)