Martin Scorsese film: Killers of the Flower Moon

Yesterday I went to see the new Martin Scorsese film: Killers of the Flower Moon

I wouldn’t say that the film is for everyone in the sense that I wouldn’t take a kid under 11/12 years old.

In the 1920s, several members of the Osage Native American tribe in Osage County, Oklahoma were murdered after finding oil on their land. The “Bureau of Investigation” (which became the FBI in 1935) belatedly led the investigation.

At the end of the screening of the film in Cannes on May 20, 2023, a standing ovation lasting more than nine minutes greeted the film team, with Martin Scorsese in the lead. It is deserved.

De Niro and Di Caprio are great. The other actors also.

I don’t say more as i don’t want to spoil. A pity.

I will just add that it shows the way Indian Americans were treated and the prejudices they faced.

The film lasts 3 hours 20 minutes, but you won’t get bored.

2 Likes

At first I had no interest in the movie and then I saw this review from a Native I follow on YouTube and now I think I want to see it, though the violence sort of puts me off a little, even though it’s historically based (Warning: Spoilers):

I did go. I could feel myself getting tired, I’m not much for staying up late, but I was definitively not bored. Watching DiCaprio go through his changes helped hold the movie together. Gladstone was harder to understand, it seemed she had some power that she didn’t use. I guess when your sisters are dying around you, it can change your perspective.

I had no idea of this history. Really well done

1 Like

I didn’t know either and I hope to see it when it can be streamed or bought on DVD.

I forgot about your review post Mriana, I’ll get back to that. But, as I was pulling into the driveway last night, I caught this;

I had a lot of questions after the movie, like, exactly how this system works, where Osage people got checks for their land rights with the oil. They aren’t shown involved in the work of getting the oil, they just get money. The white people run the government, local and national, so it’s a setup for what happened, then, as the opening scene tells you, the murders were not investigated.

The movie then shows DiCaprio as the broken soldier who falls into this situation but eventually becomes the hero/whistle-blower. So instead of the Osage story, we get a normal Western, with a slight twist of a bunch of white villains. There are a few redeeming scenes, and telling the story at all is important, but it could have been done better.

At the end of this interview, a question is raised if the whole movie industry to broken, and not fixable.

I fully disagree !

This film and DiCaprio character are much more complex.

From what I understand, he killed his wife by poisoning her insulin. Seems to me, though I still haven’t seen it yet and still would like to, he’s not much better than those who were killing the other Osage.

It is more complex but i don’t want to spoil

There’s a way to cover up spoiler alerts somehow, then people can click on them and see it if they want. Sorry, not in the mood to find it right now, maybe after coffee tomorrow

Personally, I like spoilers. Spoilers often make me want to see a show more than if I don’t see spoilers. I find if I don’t know anything about a show/movie, then I have no interest in it. That’s me though. If I was so worried about it, I wouldn’t have watched the above video that I posted.

OK

The movie depicts what happens during many years.

DiCaprio poison his wife unintentionally, believing he gives her a remedy.

But his character is very complex and slides down toward evil.

He witnesses against the other criminals to protect his family, and to escape prosecution, more than moved by a sense of justice.