Sexism in Science - Tim Hunt edition

Nobel prize winning biochemist Timothy Hunt sparked controversy with his comments on female scientists:

“Let me tell you about my trouble with girls," Hunt said, according to science journalist Connie St Louis, who tweeted the most disgusting points in his unrecorded speech. “Three things happen when they are in the lab: You fall in love with them, they fall in love with you, and when you criticize them, they cry." He continued that while he was in favor of single sex laboratories, he didn’t want to “stand in the way" of women.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/06/09/nobel-prize-winning-biologist-calls-women-love-hungry-cry-babies.html I don't know what to make of this; it's always comical when a scientist tries to share his limited wisdom about women (because they're nerds) but, maybe he's right about sex - segregation. At any rate, I hope he doesn't get banned from the royal society or loose his Nobel.

I don’t know what to make of the fact that you don’t know what to make of this.

It almost seems to be double standard, the scientist is expected to be completely honest about everything, but when they say what they really think about some subject outside their field of expertise, they get criticized.

“Let me tell you about my trouble with girls," Hunt said, according to science journalist Connie St Louis, who tweeted the most disgusting points in his unrecorded speech. “Three things happen when they are in the lab: You fall in love with them, they fall in love with you, and when you criticize them, they cry." He continued that while he was in favor of single sex laboratories, he didn’t want to “stand in the way" of women.
Hmmm, guess he must have been the "Howard Wolowitz" of the lab. Oh well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but ... . I can't envision Marie Curie bursting into tears in the lab. Fact is more women than ever are becoming involved in the STEM disciplines and their numbers are likely to grow, so get over it fella. Female scientists have been at it since the Middle Ages so this isn't anything new. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_science Cap't Jack
Hmmm, guess he must have been the "Howard Wolowitz" of the lab. Oh well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but ... . I can't envision Marie Curie bursting into tears in the lab. Fact is more women than ever are becoming involved in the STEM disciplines and their numbers are likely to grow, so get over it fella. Female scientists have been at it since the Middle Ages so this isn't anything new. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_science Cap't Jack
They're all Wolowitz; and the only way women will become more common in science is if they keep lowering the bar to become a scientist.
It almost seems to be double standard, the scientist is expected to be completely honest about everything, but when they say what they really think about some subject outside their field of expertise, they get criticized.
Nah, scientists aren't really expected to be honest about "everything". It depends on who's paying the bills, I suppose.
They’re all Wolowitz; and the only way women will become more common in science is if they keep lowering the bar to become a scientist.
Playing misogynist now are we Mid? You rascal. Cap't Jack

A sort of apology. Power of the internet at work.]

Even scientists are not immune to prejudices and weak logic at times. James Watson is famous for his idiotic racial comments on genetic flaws inherent in certain races and he is the one who discovered DNA. Linus Pauling made less controversial but equally stupid and poorly supported statements concerning Vitamin C.
His basic logic in this case is laughingly but insultingly flawed. His first two complaints are that the women fall in love with you or you fall in love with them. How is that the woman’s problem. Women could equally complain that this is the problem with having men in the lab. The statement implies that its the men’s lab and that they have generously allowed women in, which in itself is grossly misogynistic. His third complaint is that when you criticize women they cry. That’s obviously a self serving generalization. Have you ever been in a situation where the woman is the supervisor. I’ve been there. Men don’t cry generally but some of them do something even less constructive. They may have trouble taking constructive criticism from a woman, so they get defensive and even aggressive which is counterproductive.
I think most men and women can work together well. This guy is an aberration. A lab that limits itself to just one gender is limiting themselves to only half of the talent pool and will be at a disadvantage.
In this day and age we all need to learn how to work with everyone and if we are a supervisor or in this case a principal investigator then we need to learn how to get the best performance from each person’s talents. Anyone who can’t do that probably shouldn’t be a PI.

Misogyny is invisible till you learn to identify it. I still catch myself saying misogenist crap all the time. Even though I know what it is, I’m still so full of crappy attitudes and ideas. It takes time and concerted efforts to change a lifelong perspective that seemed as natural as breathing air.
I’ll bet Einstein was not perfect in this respect either, but who would have listened to reports of him making misogenist comments? In those days?

His basic logic in this case is laughingly but insultingly flawed. His first two complaints are that the women fall in love with you or you fall in love with them. How is that the woman's problem. Women could equally complain that this is the problem with having men in the lab.The statement implies that its the men's lab and that they have generously allowed women in, which in itself is grossly misogynistic.
I think he was highly exaggerating how often female scientists swoon over male scientists, however, the lab is a mans place in the sense that there's always more men than women involved in STEM fields. So women are the odd ones out. (and ultimately most don't need to be there).
His third complaint is that when you criticize women they cry. That's obviously a self serving generalization. Have you ever been in a situation where the woman is the supervisor. I've been there. Men don't cry generally but some of them do something even less constructive. They may have trouble taking constructive criticism from a woman, so they get defensive and even aggressive which is counterproductive.
He's totally right about this. Women always get offended when criticized by men, which leads to the men having to use kid gloves with them, which then turns the workplace into something it shouldn't be.
I think most men and women can work together well.
Gay men can work well with women, maybe.
A lab that limits itself to just one gender is limiting themselves to only half of the talent pool and will be at a disadvantage.
Disagree, since most of the "talent" resides with the men.
Misogyny is invisible till you learn to identify it. I still catch myself saying misogenist crap all the time. Even though I know what it is, I'm still so full of crappy attitudes and ideas. It takes time and concerted efforts to change a lifelong perspective that seemed as natural as breathing air. I'll bet Einstein was not perfect in this respect either, but who would have listened to reports of him making misogenist comments? In those days?
You're probably being too hard on yourself.
His basic logic in this case is laughingly but insultingly flawed. His first two complaints are that the women fall in love with you or you fall in love with them. How is that the woman's problem. Women could equally complain that this is the problem with having men in the lab.The statement implies that its the men's lab and that they have generously allowed women in, which in itself is grossly misogynistic.
I think he was highly exaggerating how often female scientists swoon over male scientists, however, the lab is a mans place in the sense that there's always more men than women involved in STEM fields. So women are the odd ones out. (and ultimately most don't need to be there).
His third complaint is that when you criticize women they cry. That's obviously a self serving generalization. Have you ever been in a situation where the woman is the supervisor. I've been there. Men don't cry generally but some of them do something even less constructive. They may have trouble taking constructive criticism from a woman, so they get defensive and even aggressive which is counterproductive.
He's totally right about this. Women always get offended when criticized by men, which leads to the men having to use kid gloves with them, which then turns the workplace into something it shouldn't be.
I think most men and women can work together well.
Gay men can work well with women, maybe.
A lab that limits itself to just one gender is limiting themselves to only half of the talent pool and will be at a disadvantage.
Disagree, since most of the "talent" resides with the men. I am assuming this is all tongue in cheek. No one s really such an ass anymore. Perhaps you need an introduction to the 21st century.
Misogyny is invisible till you learn to identify it. I still catch myself saying misogenist crap all the time. Even though I know what it is, I'm still so full of crappy attitudes and ideas. It takes time and concerted efforts to change a lifelong perspective that seemed as natural as breathing air. I'll bet Einstein was not perfect in this respect either, but who would have listened to reports of him making misogenist comments? In those days?
You're probably being too hard on yourself. Not at all. I'm trying to raise my awareness and understanding. I enjoy trying to be a better person. It is its own reword.

Could not resist posting a link to this hilarious response to Hunts idiotic remarks.
https://www.yahoo.com/health/female-scientists-share-distractingly-sexy-121320623177.html
Full disclosure. As someone involved in science myself who has worked with women in a supervisory position and the father of two daughters who are scientists ( one a PhD candidate in immunology and the other involved in commercial biotech field) I am obviously biased but Hunt’s comments are just too stupid not to make fun of.

Could not resist posting a link to this hilarious response to Hunts idiotic remarks. https://www.yahoo.com/health/female-scientists-share-distractingly-sexy-121320623177.html Full disclosure. As someone involved in science myself who has worked with women in a supervisory position and the father of two daughters who are scientists ( one a PhD candidate in immunology and the other involved in commercial biotech field) I am obviously biased but Hunt's comments are just too stupid not to make fun of.
Nothing sexy about any of those hags. It does appear they stopped their usual workday activities of tweeting and texting long enough to take a few more selfies of themselves than usual.

Sexism is rampant everywhere. Wherever there are man and women working together sexism will come into the picture sooner or later. It’s a sign of a lack of confiidence in one’s own abilities. Women as well as men are sexists when they fall into the trap of male superiority–and far too many women do this. We need to raise girls to stop derferring to men because they are males and to develop confidence in their own abilities. I blame religion, especially the Christian religion for indoctrinating both men and women with the idea that men are superior and women are inferior. It infects and destroys every area of our lives.
Lois

Did you see what’s printed on the back?

Keep those hormones in the test tube folks !

This ones for you mid atlantic,

I won’t mention what she’s probing, but bet it’s big on you. :ahhh:
courtesy of https://www.yahoo.com/health/female-scientists-share-distractingly-sexy-121320623177.html

It's a sign of a lack of confocence in one's own abilities. Lois
This says it all. Sexism says everything about the sexist and nothing about the target of his comments.