Major Accusations

I’ve recently learned that Lawrence Krauss, Bill Nye, and Ben Radford, Michael Shermer have either been accused of sexual harrasment, or aiding and abetting sexual harrasment. What the hell!
Anybody else heard about this?

I've recently learned that Lawrence Krauss, Bill Nye, and Ben Radford, Michael Shermer have either been accused of sexual harrasment, or aiding and abetting sexual harrasment. What the hell! Anybody else heard about this? http://freethoughtblogs.com/blaghag/2013/08/covering-my-ass/ http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2013/08/06/no-it-could-never-happen-to-her/ http://www.atheistrev.com/2013/08/more-internet-vigilantism-as-shermer.html
Hadn't heard, but people who are at the forefront of rational thought are always vulnerable to such accusations. When the opposition (also known as christians) can't think of a good argument, they turn to sex allegations. Lois

I agree with Lois, but I also recall seeing a website a few years ago that listed between thirty and fifty Republican politicians who had been arrested or at least lost their positions for a wide variety of sexual infractions. Unfortunately, testosterone toxicity is almost universal among males, and it becomes more active as the person gets a more powerful position.
Occam

Check out Blake Smith’s comments on his Facebook page:

Hadn't heard, but people who are at the forefront of rational thought are always vulnerable to such accusations. When the opposition (also known as christians) can't think of a good argument, they turn to sex allegations. Lois
These aren't Christians making allegations, they are prominent women in the skeptical community. Instead of dismissing the allegations out of hand I suggest you and Occam read the back story about what has been going on and how CFI has blundered once again. Republicans misdeeds are irrelevant to how men in the skeptical community act toward women. That is not only a red herring it is a tu quoque fallacy.

Sorry Darron,I didn’t even recognize that more than one of them was from the skeptical community. I wasn’t arguing against the claims against them. I was trying to point out that it doesn’t matter what the situation is, males seem to be driven by their hormones to a greater extent than females and when in positions of power their behavior in sexual areas becomes more active so they exert more pressure on anyone they see as a potential partner.
Occam

It isn’t just Republican males who act like that. Politicians off all stripes, from FDR to Churchill to Bill Clinton have demonstrated a remarkable inability to keep pants up, but recent Republicans have shown an unprecedented disdain for women’s rights. I’m disappointed women get similar treatment from male leaders in the skeptical movement. There is no excuse for such behavior, but there also seems no lack of people willing to stand up for misogynists and excuse their actions. This has to stop.

It isn't just Republican males who act like that. Politicians off all stripes, from FDR to Churchill to Bill Clinton have demonstrated a remarkable inability to keep pants up, but recent Republicans have shown an unprecedented disdain for women's rights. I'm disappointed women get similar treatment from male leaders in the skeptical movement. There is no excuse for such behavior, but there also seems no lack of people willing to stand up for misogynists and excuse their actions. This has to stop.
Agreed, Darron. It's a terrible shame.
Check out Blake Smith's comments on his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DoctorAtlantis
Could you give the gist of it to those of us who don't use facebook? What if these women (and Myers) are lying? In Lawrence Krauss's case it appears he defended a person named Jeffrey Epstein from accusations of hiring underage prostitutes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Epstein Bad judgement, perhaps, but not an immediate indication of being a sex offender. Shermer is being accused of rape by PZ Myers, essentially - not much else to go on there. Radford is accused of raping Karen Stollznow on more then one occasion :question: :exclaim: This one is probably going to be deeper. I can't find anything specific about Nye, except that some female skeptics find him sleazy, and include him on the list of offenders.
What if these women (and Myers) are lying?
what would the women gain by lying?
What would the women gain by lying?
[Cynicism Mode=On] Fame, money, knocking someone they dislike down a peg, discrediting a rival, street cred with the homies. Take your pick.

^^^^
What Dead Monky said.

What if these women (and Myers) are lying? In Lawrence Krauss's case it appears he defended a person named Jeffrey Epstein from accusations of hiring underage prostitutes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Epstein Bad judgement, perhaps, but not an immediate indication of being a sex offender. Shermer is being accused of rape by PZ Myers, essentially - not much else to go on there. Radford is accused of raping Karen Stollznow on more then one occasion :question: :exclaim: This one is probably going to be deeper. I can't find anything specific about Nye, except that some female skeptics find him sleazy, and include him on the list of offenders.
Please stick to facts. No one is accusing any of these men of rape. They have been accused of sexual harassment. Spreading lies does not help. You need to read what the women posted, not third-hand misinformation.

I can understand why accusations of sexual impropriety within the skeptic/humanist community should have so much impact. We believe we are people who see the world through a clearer lens, one without the distortions of religion or custom, " that we can live ethical and fulfilling lives on the basis of reason and humanity." (Humanism » Humanists UK), and that view allows us to make more rational choices in our behavior. The fact that reason is not a safeguard against sexual misconduct points to the complicated relationship between out intellectual selves and our more animal nature. Sex is such a huge and complicated part of who we are and I, personally find it alarming to be forced to recognize the possibility that even the most prominent members of our group are susceptible to their instinctive drives and that their highly respected intellects do not prevent these drives from affecting their behavior in what could be a very inappropriate manner.

a

I believe that when people embrace a philosophy such as Christianity, Buddhism, or Humanism and practice it, we are often searching for a discipline which helps us define and live a moral life. Whether any single practice guarantees that its advocates will be more moral can be subject to endless debate, of course. But it is pretty likely that someone who chooses to adhere to a certain ideology or philosophy, and if it is a considered choice, will have reason to feel their chosen discipline provides a superior framework for making and supporting the fundamental decisions of their lives. I’m not going to try to define what morality is, or debate it, but I think that most people who identify as Humanists feel Humanism is a more valid framework than other philosophies they have encountered.
As such, behavior among members of the group, particularly influential ones, may be scrutinized to evaluate the effectiveness of the philosophy. When that behavior appears to be inconsistent or inappropriate, the effectiveness of the philosophy may be called into question, and the phenomenon and its relationship to the practice of the philosophy should be examined. I have no way of knowing if there is any substance to the charges which initiated this thread. and I’m not making any judgements, but the issue of inappropriate sexual behavior within the Humanist community has been an issue of late. This particular issue, with it’s ties to instinctive or subconscious behavior touches upon a concern of mine, i.e. are we able to make the intellectual choices we may need to make in order to move beyond the behavior engendered by evolutionary currents which have created us? It seems likely that if we are to continue to exist we will have to learn to do so.

These aren't Christians making allegations, they are prominent women in the skeptical community. Instead of dismissing the allegations out of hand I suggest you and Occam read the back story about what has been going on and how CFI has blundered once again. Republicans misdeeds are irrelevant to how men in the skeptical community act toward women. That is not only a red herring it is a tu quoque fallacy. I know the story but it seems to be an anomaly. I attended many skeptical, Atheist and Humanist conferences over quite a few years and never heard of this kind of accusation. But anyone can attend any conference so you can't be sure the perpetrator wasn't an interloper and a troublemaker. Lois
It isn't just Republican males who act like that. Politicians off all stripes, from FDR to Churchill to Bill Clinton have demonstrated a remarkable inability to keep pants up, but recent Republicans have shown an unprecedented disdain for women's rights. I'm disappointed women get similar treatment from male leaders in the skeptical movement. There is no excuse for such behavior, but there also seems no lack of people willing to stand up for misogynists and excuse their actions. This has to stop.
I think that was Occam's point. It's certain men who are the problem and they can pop up in any venue, any political or religious or non-religious venue. Lois

Quoting Darron:

There is no excuse for such behavior, but there also seems no lack of people willing to stand up for misogynists and excuse their actions. This has to stop.
I know that most males who don’t engage in such behavior say they have self-control, however, it’s much easier for them to have self-control when they aren’t in an extemely powerful position.
I seem to recall a S-F story a few years ago where all males were given a shot at about ten years old that completely shut down testosterone production. Only when a woman wanted to have sex and/or get pregnant could she file a document with a govt. doctor who would then give a counteracting shot that would last for one day. Maybe that’s how it will stop.
Occam

I know that most males who don't engage in such behavior say they have self-control, however, it's much easier for them to have self-control when they aren't in an extemely powerful position.
That implies that all men in positions of power will sexually harass women, which is obviously not true. I know men who are not in positions of power who harass women. I also know men in powerful positions who do no harass women. Being in a position of power is no excuse. It may give men more opportunities to harass women, but I doubt it makes individual men more prone to harassing women.