Russian invasion to open a new chapter' in NATO history

It comes as both Sweden and Finland consider joining NATO amid Russia’s ongoing military aggression in Ukraine.

That could be seen as provocative by the Kremlin, but Mr Niinisto placed the blame firmly with the Russians for becoming more aggressive in their insistence on the countries’ neutrality - and because they had shown they were “ready to attack a neighbouring country”.

“My response would be that you caused this - (Putin) look at the mirror.”

Apparently Sweden and Finland are frightened by the barbarian in Russia - perhaps it goes deeper that Russia being victim of “bad press.”

U.K. Strikes Security Pact With Sweden And Finland

Anna Kaplan, Forbes Staff - May 11, 2022,

Finland has walked a political tightrope between Moscow and the West for decades. But that could be about to end

Silvia Amaro, May 2, 2022

• The Nordic nation shares an 808-mile land border with Russia and has carefully walked a foreign policy tightrope between Moscow and the West for many decades.
  • Finland adopted a neutrality policy during the Cold War, meaning it would avoid confrontation with Russia.
  • But its long-standing neutrality, cherished by many Finns, could be about to end due to Russia’s unprovoked invasion of Ukraine.

No referendum required!!! Nukes to be placed on the russian border to finland . What a wonderful and safe world NATO has created for as all

I am not fan of Nato, and i ma very conscious that US imperialism can be a firebrand.

But when Eastern states ask to join Nato to be protected from Russia because they are afraid, is Nato the only culprit?

When Ukraine relinquished to Russia its atomic weapons, in 191, its territorial integrity was guaranteed by Russia and USA

Who invaded Crimea and Donbass, and did not respect its word ? Russia or Nato ? Are the Eastern states right to worry about their territorial integrity or not?

1 Like

The panic and anti russian hysteria in europe stoked by the USA is leading the europe to economic suicide. Its a clown world lead by clowns in brussels london and washington.

US military now in Finland? Is this US plan fir Europe?

The panic and anti-Russian hysteria is experienced by Ukrainians as their homes are Bombed from underneath their feet.

Your obvious disdain for Western democracies is oozing from your insidious allegations, while the bombs keep falling on Ukraine’s citizenry. Are they clowns?"

You are a despicable person. I am reporting you with a request to ban you for life.

We will see. US has been rotating forces through the Baltic nations for years and more recently through Bulgaria and Romania, so it’s to be expected.

You have difficulties in communication and accepting not everybody agrees with you

What is to be expected? That an invasion of a country is being planned?

When is the last time a person was killed by a NATO soldier? When was the last time NATO invaded another country with the aim of occupying or annexing that country to what occupying nation?

In what country is NATO an unwelcome defensive military presence?

NATO is not a country. It is an alliance between friendly countries that engage in mutually beneficial trade and cultural exchange.

Sound like a sound description of yourself.

Given how you idealize the cold blooded mass murder Putin, I think a touch of Dunning-Kruger is also involved.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/03/us/politics/russia-ukraine-invasion-pretext.html

WASHINGTON - Julian E. Barnes Feb. 3, 2022 —
The United States has acquired intelligence about a Russian plan to fabricate a pretext for an invasion of Ukraine using a faked video that would build on recent disinformation campaigns, according to senior administration officials and others briefed on the material.

The plan — which the United States hopes to spoil by making public — involves staging and filming a fabricated attack by the Ukrainian military either on Russian territory or against Russian-speaking people in eastern Ukraine.

Russia, the officials said, intended to use the video to accuse Ukraine of genocide against Russian-speaking people. It would then use the outrage over the video to justify an attack or have separatist leaders in the Donbas region of eastern Ukraine invite a Russian intervention.

Officials would not release any direct evidence of the Russian plan or specify how they learned of it, saying to do so would compromise their sources and methods. But a recent Russian disinformation campaign focused on false accusations of genocide and efforts in the Russian Parliament to recognize breakaway governments in Ukraine lent credence to the intelligence.

In a break with the past, U.S. is using intel to fight an info war with Russia, even when the intel isn’t rock solid.

April 6, 2022, 8:43 AM UTC

By Ken Dilanian, Courtney Kube, Carol E. Lee and Dan De Luce

It was an attention-grabbing assertion that made headlines around the world: U.S. officials said they had indications suggesting Russia might be preparing to use chemical agents in Ukraine.

President Joe Biden later said it publicly. But three U.S. officials told NBC News this week there is no evidence Russia has brought any chemical weapons near Ukraine. They said the U.S. released the information to deter Russia from using the banned munitions.

It’s one of a string of examples of the Biden administration’s breaking with recent precedent by deploying declassified intelligence as part of an information war against Russia. The administration has done so even when the intelligence wasn’t rock solid, officials said, to keep Russian President Vladimir Putin off balance.

Coordinated by the White House National Security Council, the unprecedented intelligence releases have been so frequent and voluminous, officials said, that intelligence agencies had to devote more staff members to work on the declassification process, scrubbing the information so it wouldn’t betray sources and methods.

Doesnt look like youre prepared to discuss whats been happening in recent days

Does the fact that Russia violated Ukrainian territorial integrity despite engagements is not a cause a legitimate cause of worry for other countries ?

Theres a reason why Ukraine and not poland latvia or finland isnt there?

Apparently you aren’t either.

Besides how would anything that’s happened in the past couple days, change anything regarding Putin’s aggression and dictatorial paranoia, and your apparent embrace of all that Russian propaganda.

Well, the news does show what an idiot Putin was/is - he’s decimated his country’s economy;
seems like he’s decimating his own military;
he’s inflicted serious harm to the global economy, (when it already has seriously overwhelming problems to deal with, which in turn will slow its own recovery);
it has terrorize Finland and Sweden into wanting to tie the knot with NATO, (something they had absolutely no interest in previous nearly 75 years);
united and engaged the NATO nations like rarely before;
creating a super armed Ukraine, still right next door;
encouraged many nations to stop relying on Russian oil;
and so on, …

Oh, but yes, you are correct, I do not try to keep up on the Ukrainian news, simply can’t ignore it all together, then having to read some of your nonsense, well, . . . such is the stuff that makes me comment. :person_raising_hand:t2:

Then you come up with bizarre Rorschach sentences. No hint what you are talking about because you aren’t seriously talking about anything.

You’ve got your hooks and your chum, that’s it, no substance, integrity, the stuff of a real discuss, zip. Oh, but now you’ll call me mean again, so sorry, but you know I’m honestly not out to hurt your feelings, that’s your little thing. I’d just like to make a little sense out of you and perhaps even get a notion of where and how you developed your attitude and your adulation of Putin.

Scrambling to find and post a link without reading it is so you. You have made 1 , 2, 3, 4 , 5 , 6, 7, 8 conclusions of this war while making full disclosure of not knowing what is actually going on so who in their right mind would spend time listening to you.? Lets take the first 2 . Decimation of the russian economy and military without giving qualifications . What else can one do with this but throw in the pile of mumbo jumbo

Easy solution for you - you dont have to respond. The question wasnt even for you.

Everyone can participate in any of the forum conversations. There is no need for rudeness. Please read the rules, peacenotwar.

There was no rudeness intended . Just saying not responding is an option if I what i write gives you grief

Doesn’t matter if it gives one grief or not, everyone has the right to participate in a civil manner that is conducive to conversation. That was your second warning, peacenotwar. Three strikes a person is out.