Opinions of Nordic countries

My response in the ‘world of our own making’ thread made me want to start a separate thread.
Every poll, survey, etc. I’ve seen leads me to believe the Nordic countries of Norway, Finland, and Sweden are wonderful places, especially for non-religious, free-thinkers, etc. I’m sure none of them are perfect. But does anyone here have any first hand experience living in these countries? I’m at the age where retirement is on the distant horizon. I have it in the back of my mind that I should shoot for one of these countries.

It might work if you are bringing plenty of money with you.
Places like that or Australia for example are not exactly keen on letting everybody in their countries.
They worked hard to politically and socially build a nation that works for everybody.
I would call it a certain nationalist exclusivity to an extent.
One of the most healthiest things a country can do!

My experience is limited to two trips to Denmark, but with a guide (my half-brother) who has family and friends there. From what I’ve read Denmark is typical of the Scandinavian countries.
The people are friendly, public transportation is ubiquitous, the food is excellent, and the weather wet and cold. Liberal Americans have no problem fitting in. You have to live in Denmark for five years before buying real estate. The cost of living is very high as well. Denmark has a 120 percent sales tax on new vehicles, and housing in the cities is very expensive.
I suggest you check with the individual country’s embassies for legal gotchyas such as health care for expats and real estate policies. Also, search the Internet for expatriates forums. There are bound to be some relevant to your interests.
As for me, I’d move to Denmark tomorrow if my wife and I could find jobs over there.

I had a hard time sleeping in Helsinki (although I have difficulties sleeping anywhere). I was there during summer time and it never got dark at night. In winter, then, they get very little sun. I don’t know if I could ever get used to it.

George, try sleeping when it is 90 F at 10 p.m. I’ll take the Nordic countries in 20 years over Texas.

I know what you mean, Darron. There is always Canada, you know? :wink:

Not a bad idea, George.

Sorry guys, but living two miles from the coast at the 800 foot level, in So. Calif. where it never freezes, only gets to 90 F. a few days a year, has a clean ocean breeze, has only minor seasonal differences in temperature and light, is good enough for me. :slight_smile:
Occam
Edit to add: Oh yeah, because the ocean is quite cold here, the relative humidity is almost always in the 30-40% range. O.

Hey, I take it all back. California is a horrible place to live with its constant earthquakes, hurricanes, tsunamies, miserable smog, the R.H. always 100%, extremely hot and constant snow. We have 100% unemployment and an very high cost of living, and all of us are stupid and nasty. You wouldn’t want to live here or even to visit. :lol:
[size=small](We have to do anything we can to keep the the rest of the country from finding out how good we have it, right Lois?)
Occam

Hey, I take it all back. California is a horrible place to live with its constant earthquakes, hurricanes, tsunamies, miserable smog, the R.H. always 100%, extremely hot and constant snow. We have 100% unemployment and an very high cost of living, and all of us are stupid and nasty. You wouldn't want to live here or even to visit. :lol: [size=small](We have to do anything we can to keep the the rest of the country from finding out how good we have it, right Lois?) Occam
...not to mention all those damn gays and liberals! ;)

Nothing wrong with them. I always liked having a lot of gay guys around because it meant there was less competition for the ladies. And I like having liberals around because I enjoy discussions with intelligent people. :lol:
Occam

Nothing wrong with them. I always liked having a lot of gay guys around because it meant there was less competition for the ladies. And I like having liberals around because I enjoy discussions with intelligent people. :lol: Occam
:) yes, I was playing along with you trumping up fake reasons to keep people out. And as far as having gays around, yes less competition for the ladies, but OTOH they tend to raise the bar way up...now us bald fat guys have less competition but even less takers in the first place :)
Hey, I take it all back. California is a horrible place to live with its constant earthquakes, hurricanes, tsunamies, miserable smog, the R.H. always 100%, extremely hot and constant snow. We have 100% unemployment and an very high cost of living, and all of us are stupid and nasty. You wouldn't want to live here or even to visit. :lol: [size=small](We have to do anything we can to keep the the rest of the country from finding out how good we have it, right Lois?) Occam
That's one advantage of Minnesota. You don't have to make up stories about how bad it is to live here, everyone already thinks it is. There are few weeks at the beginning and end of winter where it is wet and cold, but I like 4 seasons, snow, rivers and tall trees. And, Canada is within walking distance if it ever comes to that. I know someone who lived in Norway for a while, but missed being close to family. Otherwise they liked it and said it gave them a perspective on the US that they don't get here. Not sure what that means, something about more honest reporting.

Damn, Cuthbert, I should have caught that you were kidding. The warm weather dulls the mind. :slight_smile:
And you also send interesting people to Washington, Lausten
Occam

Damn, Cuthbert, I should have caught that you were kidding. The warm weather dulls the mind. :) And you also send interesting people to Washington, Lausten Occam
Focus, guys. Focus. As for the OP, I found expats blog.com which seems to have a lot of good information. Search the web for "expatriate"'and the specific country you're looking for and you'll reach a larger, targeted audience than you're finding here. And whenever any of my out of state friends mentions moving to Texas I invite them to visit in August, and make sure to show them our 2/3 empty Highland Lakes, where we get our drinking water.
George, try sleeping when it is 90 F at 10 p.m. I'll take the Nordic countries in 20 years over Texas.
That I don't mind so much, but sun at 10 pm would make it difficult to sleep.
My response in the 'world of our own making' thread made me want to start a separate thread. Every poll, survey, etc. I've seen leads me to believe the Nordic countries of Norway, Finland, and Sweden are wonderful places, especially for non-religious, free-thinkers, etc. I'm sure none of them are perfect. But does anyone here have any first hand experience living in these countries? I'm at the age where retirement is on the distant horizon. I have it in the back of my mind that I should shoot for one of these countries.
I've never been, but they supposedly have high suicide rates? Canada might be a better choice.
I've never been, but they supposedly have high suicide rates? Canada might be a better choice.
Except Finland... don't bother. Suicides per 100,000 Finland 16.9 (2011) USA 12.0 (2009) Norway 11.9 (2011) Canada 11.5 (2009) Denmark 11.3 (2010) Sweden 11.1 (2010) Switzerland 11.1 (2009) Netherlands 8.8 (2010) Excerpt from here]. (I took Switzerland and the Netherlands on it because I am Dutch but living in Switzerland). I only know I like the Danish and Swedes very much, but that are just holiday experiences.

Wow, Greenland is at 108. That’s an order of magnitude above all the rest. I wonder what accounts for that?

Except Finland... don't bother. Suicides per 100,000 Finland 16.9 (2011) USA 12.0 (2009) Norway 11.9 (2011)N Canada 11.5 (2009) Denmark 11.3 (2010) Sweden 11.1 (2010) Switzerland 11.1 (2009) Netherlands 8.8 (2010) Excerpt from here]. (I took Switzerland and the Netherlands on it because I am Dutch but living in Switzerland). I only know I like the Danish and Swedes very much, but that are just holiday experiences. Anyone have a guess as to why Finland is so high and the Netherlands so low? Lois