Reaching out, struggling to make sense of the God Fearing

There They Go Again........

…I thought as their mantra swept over me: “Don’t you know, no one has ever found an Evolutionary missing link, nothing is proven! Evolution is a joke! I’m telling you my God put the whole Universe here in six days, six thousand years ago, period!”

Then came the all too predictable clincher: “How can you think differently, were you there?”

I started my response, but fell silent, too depressed to go on. Why try to discuss the beauty, poetry and reality of god’s “intelligent design” - that is, the past many billions of years of ongoing creation - with friends who slam their ears and minds shut at any mention of evolution being Godly, beautiful and it’s about time we begin trying to appreciate it?

I’ll admit - I’m bewildered by the refusal of so many to wake up to God’s fantastic infinity.

Where to start in trying to crack that shell of reinforced fear? Would it help to point out that though some scientist pontificate on absolute randomness, such talk should be taken with a grain of salt? Individual scientists, just like religious folk are filled with conceits and foibles. Why not admit we all strive for understanding, but are shackled by our own human tunnel-vision? Side opinions shouldn’t detract from the essence of the scientific data that continues to be collected and digested, any more than religious fundamentalist, with all their deceptions, anger, and pick-pocketing, shouldn’t be allowed to cloud religion’s universal truths.

Or, would it help to confront the actual comment: “There are no Evolutionary missing links.” Dear friend, what are you talking about? There are countless examples of transitional and “missing links” that aren’t missing at all. Take the “Tunicates” for example; they are classified as “non-vertebrate chordate,” because they are a telling link between non-backboned animals and those with back bones. There are volumes of catalogued examples clearly showing the steadfast development of life on God’s good earth. But, one must look at it.

Too many condemn Evolution without ever knowing what it’s about. This wouldn’t be a big deal, if these same uninformed doubters weren’t also demanding that our education system subscribe to their tunnel vision. Before condemning evolution, learn about its beauty and depth.

In this quest there’s an excellent teacher in David Attenborough. His documentaries such as “Life on Earth” and “The Living Planet” series do a superb job of describing organisms and how they have evolved and built upon preceding generations. The story is awesome and the creatures are spectacular. Using real world examples he conveys Evolution’s magnificant pageant of cumulative poetry in motion, revealing some of the countless fould within folds of harmonic complexity that resonate throughout creation.

Accept the challenge by viewing some of his many documentaries. Or, if the Internet is where you’re at, look up “The Great Story.” In contrast to Attenborough who’s a naturalist through and through, these folks glory in religion, while conveying a sense of God’s eon of Creation and its compatibility with Faith.

Finally, there’s that: “Where you there?” slap. What is it asking? Was anyone of us there when a few people tussled over how to word Genesis, or the later New Testament? Was anyone of us there during the backroom discussions regarding how best to exploit Jesus’ fantastic new message of love and redemption for empire and profit? Were you there… indeed. I don’t know about then and there, but I do about here and now, and when walking about with my sense and heart receptive, the examples of an ongoing evolution are everywhere to be seen! God’s creation, that is evolution, really is a beautiful, mysterious, overwhelming thing that must be recognized before one can ever hope to know Faith of love God.

<hr />

I use god very freely in this essay and that’s offended some. But guess my defense is that this was intended for those wrapped up within religion and it’s the only language they understand. Besides, I don’t have as big a problem with the notion of God as some, so long as folks recognize it’s a personal faith that comes from within them. God as the most intimate relationship anyone human has, exactly because it is a creation of our own brain/body and needs of the moment.

When someone is certain that their little head holds some “True God” that knows all and that all should bow down to, that is the EGO speaking and has nothing to do with any sort of actually “supreme being” who’s personally interested in my life.

God = providence = equals everything that exists flowing down the cascade of time, ever evolving.

What are you quoting here CC?

God = providence = equals everything that exists flowing down the cascade of time, ever evolving.
I have also tried to construct an analogical equation of God as the spiritual identification for a quasi intelligent mathematically functioning universe.

But it can’t be done. As soon as you try to makes sense of the concept of a God in a non-scientific context, you run into trouble.

The lure of Scripture lies in the implied “promise”, that if only you accept the biblical God, salvation awaits. As soon as you remove the promise of everlasting life you become a heretic in the eyes of the believer, so it becomes a useless exercise to even try.

Never the twain shall meet. The premises on which each discipline is founded are incompatible.

I have had the good fortune to meet some ex-religious people who seek confirmation of their doubts and inability to believe some of the fantastical attributes assigned to the Judeo/Christian biblical God . The entire point of religion is “submission” and unquestioned “acceptance” and to any independent thinker this presents a intractable obstacle, that always leads to rebellion.

I am happy to assist an apostate in finding a perspective that makes the person feel comfortable with their choice to rely on science as the ultimate source of knowledge of the universe and its workings.

IMO, religion as a secular moral guide does have some merit, albeit cloaked in the spiritual woo. When our discussion ends with the person saying; wow, I had not realized how far science has come in identifying the “ways of the world”. I am going to check out some of the science sites you have linked. I want to know more!

That’s when I am happy, and I reflect on some of the honest arguments the other person has made. I can often learn from their perspective.

@Lausten. What are you quoting here CC?
It's one of three essays I wrote back in 2008. They were published in Cortez's Four Corners Free Press. It's how I got to know that Methodist minister, she called me up and was curious to learn more, ... But, that's another story. ;-)

Every time I read them I still like them, though I know they could use some series reworking. One of those never, never goals, I don’t even get today’s projects finished. Always getting distracted by family, still if not for family, wouldn’t have done a crazy 2100 mile marathon, now I have a whole new chapter of interesting and cool memories.

Faith based thinking vs. rational based thinking

https://citizenschallenge.blogspot.com

▼ August 2008
8-3-8

• There They Go Again…
    8-3-8
  • What is Sciences Sin?
    8-3-8
  • God flowing into the Word

@write4u. I have also tried to construct an analogical equation of God as the spiritual identification for a quasi intelligent mathematically functioning universe.

But it can’t be done. As soon as you try to makes sense of the concept of a God in a non-scientific context, you run into trouble.

I’m not so sure about that anymore.

I think the key is recognizing that our gods are conceived and perceived within our selves.

God is not an entity or force that comes down to us from beyond.

Yup that takes us back to God is Ego materialized.

It’s one of three essays I wrote back in 2008. -- CC
Wow, "here we are again, the start of the end" (Todd Rundgren)

Did you catch my comment at the end of “Gulf on Fire”? The one about how wealth has to remember how wealth got created in the first place.

@Lausten. (Sam Harris) says wealth is supposed to remember that to create more wealth, it has to re-invest, it has to use some of that wealth to educate, encourage innovation, generally keep the environment healthy so more wealth can be created. We, or at least the ones who hold the wealth, have forgotten that.
Yup I did. It seems so fundamental and obvious. Then there's human insecurity, greed, avarice, envy, so the dance begins.

And when it come to people and economy itself, it’s long seemed to me that a healthy economy and society requires all pockets to have holes in them.

Then trickle-down becomes a viable circulation pattern.

Yup that takes us back to God is Ego materialized.
I agree, but that makes God a subjective entity, a product of the mind, not the creator of the universe.

Indeed.

I’ll give this one a shot. It does not mean walk around in fear you need to look how it is written. He lived in the fear of God or He is living in fear of the Lord what does that mean? It is a way of describing a religious person who followed the law in the old testament. The same can be said today - he is living in fear of the Lord by practicing his faith.

God fearing is just a nicer and more acceptable way of saying someone is superstitious.

In my brief training to be a lay minister, someone said we should interpret fear to mean respect now. It wasn’t an actual translation update, they were just making up something they hoped would go over better. I haven’t heard anyone else trying that.

The Netflix “Midnight Mass” series has an “angel” that’s pretty scary, and the preacher tells them that in all the times an angel appears in the Bible, the people seeing it are afraid. Kind of a weird way to run a religion of you ask me

Primitive people living under Kings/Dictators used them as a template for God
These were not democracies, very violent times, enemies were everywhere hence these Kings/Dictators demanded obedience and loyalty & rewarded/punished accordingly
Think Putin or Kim Jong-un in North Korea today
And so we have a King-like God sitting on his throne in the Heavens, that is his kingdom & this heaven is open to loyal supporters only. Those that do not get cast out
Just like living in Russia or North Korea today
Those were the days back then, that is what their life was back then and those were the Gods they created

I wince every time someone uses God fearing
constantly using slave words - Fear, commandments, Submit, beg, mercy, judge, wrath, punish, forgive
The way to Heaven down on our knees, begging for mercy
But that was life back then - that is what they were expected to do in front of their King/Dictator - get down on their knees, swear eternal loyalty & obedience to the Master

It seems we have moved forward in every other aspect of our lives except religion
Frustrating