Quantum computer

Has there been a break through? Microsoft is spending big and now believes it is close enough to building a gubit building block that it is now ready to start engineering a complete prototype. Will Richard Feynmans prediction of 1982 become true much sooner than expected?

Exactly what is needed for climate change models.

Its too early to say, but Microsoft is aggressively pursuing this technology. I hope they can overcome the engineering hurdles.

Sorry to cross-pollinate threads, but this is exactly the kind of thing I think of when reading the religious threads about a creator. Think of it. Humans have been creating computers and robots for a mere 100 years and we’re already talking quantum computers that might be say 10k faster than our current ones. Another 100 years and they might start to resemble electro-biological CPUs. In 300 maybe along comes something like Data on Star Trek who in the show at least is considered an actual life form. Add 10,000 years and…we ourselves are the “super beings” creating likenesses of ourselves that are self-aware, self-creating, etc. We become the creators.
SO…who’s to say that this hasn’t already happened except that the beings are a mere 100k years more advanced than us. And their “computers” are us!

Cuthbert, you have it all wrong. The mice are in charge and Earth is the computer.

Cuthbert, you have it all wrong. The mice are in charge and Earth is the computer.
Sorry Darron, it's you who have it wrong. It's the dolphins. ;) (per Douglas Adams)
Sorry Darron, it's you who have it wrong. It's the dolphins. ;) (per Douglas Adams) No, you're both wrong. WE are computers and the creator in charge figured out a way for us to reproduce additional computers, so he/she/it can let us continue on our own because we're now fully automated. The creator is probably working on other planets and other human-like creatures, now that he has the reproduction process down pat. ?

and I thought it was the microbes. :red:

Sorry Darron, it's you who have it wrong. It's the dolphins. ;) (per Douglas Adams) The dolphins left Each before it was destroyed to make room for an interstellar highway, but Earth was the computer. http://www.shmoop.com/hitchhikers-guide-to-the-galaxy/summary.html This is more fun than arguing about unknown creators.
Sorry Darron, it's you who have it wrong. It's the dolphins. ;) (per Douglas Adams) No, you're both wrong. WE are computers and the creator in charge figured out a way for us to reproduce additional computers, so he/she/it can let us continue on our own because we're now fully automated. The creator is probably working on other planets and other human-like creatures, now that he has the reproduction process down pat. ?Actually that's what I was driving at with my Data reference. Like we're Data X 1000. But then Darron steered the bus down a funner road and I hopped on. :)

Now we just need an Infinite Improbability Drive for interstellar travel.