World's most admired people, alive today

Obamas #1 (Barack in the male category and Michelle in the women’s category)

2nd most admired man - Bill Gates

3rd most admired man - Xi Jinping

12th - Putin

15th - the tRump

18th - Pope Francis

________

2nd most admired woman - Angelina Jolie

3rd most admired woman - Queen Elizabeth

13th most admired woman - Hillary Clinton

14th - Malala

18th - Greta Thunberg

19th - Melanomia tRump

Do you agree with these world admiration poll results?

Barack and Bill Gates at the top, sounds right to me. I would think that Greta Thunberg should be higher than 18th, But then she ranks the same among women as the Pope ranks among men.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/international/articles-reports/2020/09/23/worlds-most-admired-2020

Big takeaway from these polls is most people are boring.

Not so sure that people are boring as much as they suffer from boredom. That said, my list except for the #1 people would be different and the Dumpsters would not be on the list.

Mine would go a little like this, but not necessarily in this order:

1. The Obamas

2. The Roddenberrys

3. Bernie Sanders

4. RBG

5. Barbra Streisand

6. Diana Ross

7. Tracy Ross

8. Marina Sirtis

9. Jonathan Frakes

10. Sir Patrick Stewart

11. Cher

12. Tina Turner

13. Will Smith

14. Whoopi Goldberg

15. Lady Jane Seymour

16. Neil deGrasse Tyson

17. LeVar Burton

18. Gloria Steinem

19. Jane Fonda

20. Lily Tomlin

Chomsky no where to be seen here. Not even from the worldly moderator

I can admire the beauty of a sunset. I’m not so sure about people. Unless one believes in God, sunsets aren’t contingent upon notions of respect or success. They simply are worthy. What makes a person worthy and why should one be deemed more worthy than another?

There is a long list of things that can make a person admirable. The list never ends and is always being updated.

Basically, I think most humans are built to follow certain kinds of people and that’s enough to be “worthy” to others.

Basically, I think most humans are built to follow certain kinds of people and that’s enough to be “worthy” to others. - oneguy
Who do you follow? Name one. I don't mean being a fan of that person or someone you look up to but an individual who is impressively better than the average ass.

@believer

I can admire the beauty of a sunset. I’m not so sure about people.
Why not? Have you not seen a person whose physical beauty takes your breath away? I once came upon an amazingly good-looking guy posing for the cameras at a photoshoot in Hong Kong. His physical perfection was stunning. Great looking women and sunsets are just as worthy but not as rare as a good-looking white man.
Unless one believes in God, sunsets aren’t contingent upon notions of respect or success. They simply are worthy. What makes a person worthy and why should one be deemed more worthy than another?
What makes a person worthy is money. In God we trust. And the more you have, the more worthy you are.

@sree Good post. I should have been clearer. I was trying to get across the idea of admiring beauty per se and simply used a sunset as an example, not meaning to imply that other kinds of beauty don’t count as well. Whether or not money makes a person worthy of admiration depends on too many variables. Slave traders made lots of money at one time, but does that make them worthy of admiration? Same goes for blood diamonds and the spoils of war. Sure there are some people who admire that sort of thing. Personally, I’m not one of them. But I’ll take your comment with a grain of salt because I suspect that’s also how it was intended. Otherwise I wouldn’t have this wry smile on my face from reading it.

Whether or not money makes a person worthy of admiration depends on too many variables. Slave traders made lots of money at one time, but does that make them worthy of admiration? Same goes for blood diamonds and the spoils of war. Sure there are some people who admire that sort of thing. Personally, I’m not one of them. - @believer
Do you mean that money does not merit consideration because it neither has value nor can it confer value on a person? It is possible to come upon great wealth without doing a thing. Some folks who had to earn every penny may consider this as immoral too and view the person as merely fortunate but not worthy.

Money is worthy because - like air - it has value for it sustains life, my life. To have money as abundantly as air is to be supremely worthy as a person. What reason can you possibly have for not admiring such a person who never worries about food and is amply provided, who neither sew nor spin and yet is dressed in all the finery of a monarch?

@sree No, I don’t mean that money does not merit consideration because it neither has value nor can it confer value on a person. However I would contend that your claim, “To have money as abundantly as air is to be supremely worthy as a person.” is contentious ( to say the least ). I would argue that simply having lots of money doesn’t necessarily make anyone more or less “worthy as a person”, and therefore both the rich and the poor can be “worthy as a people”.

However there are circumstances when worthiness based on wealth alone is possible, like for a sales contest or other competition for which accumulating wealth is the aim. For those circumstances we can safely say that the winner is worthy of receiving the prize, and it would only be fair for them to be admired by their peers for it. So maybe there is a point upon which we have found some common ground.

The people who have money and don’t worry are fools. They don’t understand how their bread is buttered

I wouldn’t argue that a sunset is worthy, that sounds more like opinion. To me they’re rather overrated.

@believer

No, I don’t mean that money does not merit consideration because it neither has value nor can it confer value on a person. However I would contend that your claim, “To have money as abundantly as air is to be supremely worthy as a person.” is contentious ( to say the least ). I would argue that simply having lots of money doesn’t necessarily make anyone more or less “worthy as a person”, and therefore both the rich and the poor can be “worthy as a people”.

However there are circumstances when worthiness based on wealth alone is possible, like for a sales contest or other competition for which accumulating wealth is the aim. For those circumstances we can safely say that the winner is worthy of receiving the prize, and it would only be fair for them to be admired by their peers for it. So maybe there is a point upon which we have found some common ground.

You see money as a measure of a person’s financial net worth and not a person’s intrinsic quality worthy of admiration. Personal qualities are imaginary, have no material value, and real only to the admirer.

I see the availability of money as a measure of a person’s circumstance in terms of economic viability in a material world where extreme poverty is neither imaginary nor uncommon. And everybody has to toil in order to escape destitution. A person who can - without effort - insulate himself with abundant wealth from such misery is surely worthy of admiration by all.

The people who have money and don’t worry are fools. They don’t understand how their bread is buttered - lausten
Such people are fools only if they abdicate their positions of good fortune. Does a fetus in the womb need to know how it is nourished? Why would the King of England need to understand how his bread is buttered, how his shirts are ironed, or how his shoes are shined? Come to think of it, I have never washed any of my cars or ever looked under their bonnets.

Prince Harry is a fool now. What a bloody fool.

Come to think of it, I have never washed any of my cars or ever looked under their bonnets. -- Sree
Can't show foolishness to the fool
Mriana: "Mine would go a little like this, but not necessarily in this order:
  • 1. The Obamas
  • 2. The Roddenberrys
  • 3. Bernie Sanders
  • 4. RBG
  • 5. Barbra Streisand
  • 6. Diana Ross
  • 7. Tracy Ross
  • 8. Marina Sirtis
  • 9. Jonathan Frakes
  • 10. Sir Patrick Stewart
  • 11. Cher
  • 12. Tina Turner
  • 13. Will Smith
  • 14. Whoopi Goldberg
  • 15. Lady Jane Seymour
  • 16. Neil deGrasse Tyson
  • 17. LeVar Burton
  • 18. Gloria Steinem
  • 19. Jane Fonda
  • 20. Lily Tomlin"

You made the cardinal mistake of naming only a few people out of a group. I have questions!

What did poor LeVar Burton do to deserve the lowest ranking among the Next Generation members who made the list? And where the heck is Wil Wheaton (I’d actually have put him above all the other cast members)? Brent Spiner and Michael Dorn round out those missing from the core group, and I understand you can’t include them all, so I won’t bug you about them. But how could you miss John de Lancie!? He’s especially relevant to the CFI crowd.

I don’t follow Hollywood or watch TV, so have no idea what the exTNG crew is doing, but I’m guessing that the ones you named are either the only ones active or are involved in social causes you care about.

@3point14rat

You made the cardinal mistake of naming only a few people out of a group.

And that’s a mistake how? Especially when I like who I like and I can’t help who I like. It makes sense I’d like people in a certain group or not in a group.

What did poor LeVar Burton do to deserve the lowest ranking among the Next Generation members who made the list?

I did say, “Not necessarily in this order”. My list isn’t a ranking system. There is no rank to how I listed them.

And where the heck is Wil Wheaton (I’d actually have put him above all the other cast members)?

The list is limited to 20. Now if you want me to make the list longer, I can and will. Then I can add everyone I admire, including Wil Wheaton, Michael Dorn, and others. It’s sort of difficult to list everyone when one is limited to 20, thus why my list is not a ranking scale. I can’t fit everyone on it nor can I rank them as to how much I like them or not.

I do not admire John De Lancie. I met him once at a convention and he’s very stuck up. I really cannot stand him, so he is not on my list period, no matter how long I make it. I met Marina Sirtis and she’s very nice, as is Michael Dorn, who I also met, the dude who played Gorn, and a few others.

As for social causes, except for maybe Marina and Jane, though I’m not entirely sure about that, maybe Sir Patrick Stewart, I have no idea what social causes others are involved in. That said, I do have reasons why I like all of them, but again, my list is not a ranking, because I have no idea how I’d rank them if I had to rank them. Please don’t take my list as as a ranking or liking them just for the social issues they are involved in or anything like that. If I can make the list longer, I can and will, but I still would not be a ranking system to it.

There’s nothing wrong with your list and I know it wasn’t done using precise ranks. If I made a new list for this thread every week it would probably be different each time.

My curiosity as to why some TNG actors were left off the list is sincere, but it’s just fun curiosity, not the serious kind. I thought there might be something extra special to you about the ones listed.

John de Lancie has been named as a speaker at skeptical gatherings so I assumed he’d be the most relevant to this group. The fact he is stuck up is a sad surprise. I guess the arrogance of Q isn’t entirely due to his skills as an actor.

Yes, John De Lancie is Q on and off the screen, IMO. I was astonished he told someone young lady (college age I guess) she was too old to start an acting career when she asked how to break into acting. I heard of older people, past retirement age break into acting- I think one was on a show that I think was set in Alaska or some wilderness place. Anyway, he wasn’t nice at all about it and then when the con was ending and everyone, including him was leaving, I said something to him on the way out the door (no not asking for an autograph, but in thanking him for coming or something like that). He looked down at me (I’m 4’ 11") as though to say, “How dare you address me, you peon.” Not at all friendly like Marina Sirtis and Michael Dorn, the guy who plays Gorn, and others I’ve met. However, I have watched and listened to his video on CFI’s YouTube page. Still, I don’t admire him because he makes a pretty sad humanist, especially in comparison to the Roddenberrys, who adored their fans as much as the fans adored them.