Outcry as Charlie Hebdo depicts Meghan Markle as George Floyd 

Outcry as Charlie Hebdo depicts Meghan Markle as George Floyd

You can make fun of billions of peoples religion but no no you cant torch the embodiement of western empire

I am a reader of Charlie Hebdo, I buy it every week. I have done so for years and i don’t intend to stop.

And charlie Hebdo is in France one of the most staunch fighter for democracy, for secularism, against racism. they paid it with their blood.

sometimes Charli Hebdo shows where there is a problem, sometimes it may seem to exaggerate. but remember a cartoon is not reality but a distorsion of reality to put the light on a aprt of it.

About this cover, one can think it is not fun, that is lacks taste, but there is no racism.

About the drawing.

Seen from outside, the royal family seems to be a pride of wolves, biting each other, as too many of them.

Queen and royal family are a secondary target, they are accused of racism, rightly or wrongly. May be some are and some are not. To mock them is allowed.

Meghan seems to me the primary target. She may have been victim of racism and in any case, she feels she has been. But somehow to play victim in very cosy surroundings, clad sitting on a fat pile of money can justify some smiles.

Now, using Floyd death, it reinforces the mockery as obviously, Meghan was not in the situation of G. Floyd and has less reasons to complain.

And, last, it reminds us that if there are degrees in racism, ultimately it is racism and it can kill.

Read the twitter response to this

nous ne sommes plus charlie

What happened to Meghan probably was racism. It sounds like racism and doesn’t surprise me, but it was not on the level of Geo. Floyd.

“What happened to Meghan probably was racism. It sounds like racism and doesn’t surprise me, but it was not on the level of Geo. Floyd.”

Another topic that has gone above your head.

The discussion is with regards to the very people who mock religion with glee and shouts of free speech now say that this is not acceptable when it comes to royal family.

Read the twits in response to this cartoon to get the picture.

One example-

“This is nothing but racist bigotry and inciting hate”

Wtf?

Honestly, i don’t understand why this cartoon is racist. And French people don’t understand why it is viewed as racist when it criticizes racism.

The cartoon is a little funny but who cares about those two irrelevant attention whores. As for the outrage, it’s no secret that Europeans don’t really accept freedom of speech. Making fun of religion is ok because Europe is entirely secular today; whereas any sort of racism is against EU policy.

And I’m using the term “Europeans” loosely after seeing many of the names and twitter pics in the link.

Freedom of speech is not freedom to insult or to defame.

Racism is not an opinion, it is an insult and it is defaming people.

In Europe, if you publicly insult someone, calling him bad name, you will be condemned by justice. If you publicly defame him, you will be condemned.

I don’t see why it would not be the same if you insult a group of people ?

f you say: M X is a “…” and he kills and eats babies, you will be condemned. If you say all the “****” are “…” who kill and eat babies, you will be condemned. Basically, it is the same law.

People can be so amazingly pathetic. First comparing Meghan to Floyd is a sick joke, or is it? Mental anguish sucks, though I imagine Meghan doesn’t have a clue what it means to have to decide between rent and groceries and electricity. Or to live within real black skin. I’ve stayed away from all this rich people nonsense so had nothing add, but I do know enough from reading English books, that the Brits are all about sense of self-superiority and racism. How else could they have achieved the domination they held for centuries? Sure the empire has fallen apart, but the attitudes of those in power hasn’t.

He’s a cartoonist and pushing buttons is his job and making people think outside of their cozy boxes. I think it’s over the top and fairly stupid. But then tossing this into mix:

@thatoneguy: "The cartoon is a little funny but who cares about those two irrelevant attention whores."
is utterly disgusting.

Tossing shit at everything, ridiculing and dehumanizing all that intimidates you, or that you can’t comprehend - But, it seems like that’s all the Neo Republican alt-right wing have left in there’s tool kit. No wonder our society is going to hell.

Freedom of speech is not freedom to insult or to defame.

Racism is not an opinion, it is an insult and it is defaming people.

In Europe, if you publicly insult someone, calling him bad name, you will be condemned by justice. If you publicly defame him, you will be condemned.

I don’t see why it would not be the same if you insult a group of people ?

f you say: M X is a “…” and he kills and eats babies, you will be condemned. If you say all the “****” are “….” who kill and eat babies, you will be condemned. Basically, it is the same law.

Like I said Europeans don’t accept freedom of speech.

“Like I said Europeans don’t accept freedom of speech”

The american right want flag burning to be jail time. Not in Europe

Like I said Europeans don’t accept freedom of speech.
Define speech.

You better look up the SCOTUS interpretation of “money as a form of speech” and then compare that ruling to election laws where money is treated as a “means of exchange”, i.e. “quid pro quo”.

How about slander laws? Oh, you have the freedom to say derogatory things about someone or a business, but they can sue your into poverty.

Freedom of speech is a meaningless “feel good” phrase, which has no true application in reality. It is like saying “freedom from responsibility” or “freedom from physics”. And still we have religions!

The american right want flag burning to be jail time. Not in Europe
Some do, but flag burning does not lead to jail time. In Europe the right and wrong speech is whatever the government says it is and they do arrest people for that.

Stats show Americans more supportive of free speech than the rest of the world.

Most Republicans would love it to be illegal

Define speech.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/first_amendment
You better look up the SCOTUS interpretation of “money as a form of speech” and then compare that ruling to election laws where money is treated as a “means of exchange”, i.e. “quid pro quo”.
Not the same thing at all.
How about slander laws? Oh, you have the freedom to say derogatory things about someone or a business, but they can sue your into poverty.
So what?
Freedom of speech is a meaningless “feel good” phrase, which has no true application in reality. It is like saying “freedom from responsibility” or “freedom from physics”. And still we have religions!
Most Americans disagree -- including the government.

Semantics?

Read the twits in response to this cartoon to get the picture. --missinggirl
I was already mocking this interview during the week it was heavily promoted before it aired. Despite all the problems I have with it and the royals, having the family called out in such a public way can only be positive. I sometimes find good counterpoints in comments, but when I can see they are all "twits", I usually just stop looking.
Freedom of speech is a meaningless “feel good” phrase, which has no true application in reality. It is like saying “freedom from responsibility” or “freedom from physics”. And still we have religions! -- Write4
This was an odd statement from you. Care to elaborate? Other than how it used to be used by my friends when I was a teen, as in "hey, it's a free country", I see many applications in reality.

In fact, in Western Europe, there is only one historical fact that the law forbids to negate: the genocide of the Jews during WWII.

Except this, European states don’t say what is truth or untruth, people can say anything.

Covid shows that as many people tell untruth, lying and falsifying facts to implement ideas directly inspired from Qanon. And they are not arrested !