Opinions of Nordic countries

George, try sleeping when it is 90 F at 10 p.m. I'll take the Nordic countries in 20 years over Texas.
That I don't mind so much, but sun at 10 pm would make it difficult to sleep. You can always get blackout shades or curtains and/or wear a sleep mask. People who work third shifts, such as medical workers, manage to sleep during daylight hours. Lois
I've never been, but they supposedly have high suicide rates? Canada might be a better choice.
Except Finland... don't bother. Suicides per 100,000 Finland 16.9 (2011) USA 12.0 (2009) Norway 11.9 (2011)N Canada 11.5 (2009) Denmark 11.3 (2010) Sweden 11.1 (2010) Switzerland 11.1 (2009) Netherlands 8.8 (2010) Excerpt from here]. (I took Switzerland and the Netherlands on it because I am Dutch but living in Switzerland). I only know I like the Danish and Swedes very much, but that are just holiday experiences. Anyone have a guess as to why Finland is so high and the Netherlands so low? Lois In Finland's case, there's the Finno-Ugrian suicide hypothesis; I have a link but the program says it's spam. In short, the hypothesis states that people from Finno-Ugric backgrounds could have a genetic predisposition to suicide.
I've never been, but they supposedly have high suicide rates? Canada might be a better choice.
Except Finland... don't bother. Suicides per 100,000 Finland 16.9 (2011) USA 12.0 (2009) Norway 11.9 (2011)N Canada 11.5 (2009) Denmark 11.3 (2010) Sweden 11.1 (2010) Switzerland 11.1 (2009) Netherlands 8.8 (2010) Excerpt from here]. (I took Switzerland and the Netherlands on it because I am Dutch but living in Switzerland). I only know I like the Danish and Swedes very much, but that are just holiday experiences. Anyone have a guess as to why Finland is so high and the Netherlands so low? Lois In Finland's case, there's the Finno-Ugrian suicide hypothesis; I have a link but the program says it's spam. In short, the hypothesis states that people from Finno-Ugric backgrounds could have a genetic predisposition to suicide. Hmm. Sounds unlikely to me. One way to prove or disprove the premise is to survey Finno-Ugric people who live outside Finland to see if their suicide rates are similar. If not, it's something other than genetic. Lois

Hmm, genetic predisposition? I for one am getting tired of hearing that. I can see it now…why do so many gay guys like Judy Garland? It’s been found they have a genetic predisposition!

I agree, Cuthbert. There has been so much human interbreeding over the centuries that it’s extremely doubtful that there is any localized genetic predispositions, especially any that are defined by national boundaries. I’d guess that economic conditions and social pressures are the main factors in differences in suicide rates.
Occam

Except Finland... don't bother. Suicides per 100,000 Finland 16.9 (2011) USA 12.0 (2009) Norway 11.9 (2011)N Canada 11.5 (2009) Denmark 11.3 (2010) Sweden 11.1 (2010) Switzerland 11.1 (2009) Netherlands 8.8 (2010) Excerpt from here]. (I took Switzerland and the Netherlands on it because I am Dutch but living in Switzerland). I only know I like the Danish and Swedes very much, but that are just holiday experiences. Anyone have a guess as to why Finland is so high and the Netherlands so low? Lois In Finland's case, there's the Finno-Ugrian suicide hypothesis; I have a link but the program says it's spam. In short, the hypothesis states that people from Finno-Ugric backgrounds could have a genetic predisposition to suicide. Hmm. Sounds unlikely to me. One way to prove or disprove the premise is to survey Finno-Ugric people who live outside Finland to see if their suicide rates are similar. If not, it's something other than genetic. Loishttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finno-Ugrian_suicide_hypothesis I can post it now. The Finno Ugric peoples don't only live in Finland, though. They're scattered around central-eastern Europe and northwest Asia. According to the linked data, all the Finno Ugric peoples have a higher rate of suicide, compared to their neighbors.
Hmm, genetic predisposition? I for one am getting tired of hearing that. I can see it now...why do so many gay guys like Judy Garland? It's been found they have a genetic predisposition!
They do have a genetic predisposition to identify with troubled women, didn't you hear? ;-)
I agree, Cuthbert. There has been so much human interbreeding over the centuries that it's extremely doubtful that there is any localized genetic predispositions, especially any that are defined by national boundaries. I'd guess that economic conditions and social pressures are the main factors in differences in suicide rates. Occam
But what gives the ability to survive those conditions and pressures if not genes?
Except Finland... don't bother. Suicides per 100,000 Finland 16.9 (2011) USA 12.0 (2009) Norway 11.9 (2011)N Canada 11.5 (2009) Denmark 11.3 (2010) Sweden 11.1 (2010) Switzerland 11.1 (2009) Netherlands 8.8 (2010) Excerpt from here]. (I took Switzerland and the Netherlands on it because I am Dutch but living in Switzerland). I only know I like the Danish and Swedes very much, but that are just holiday experiences. Anyone have a guess as to why Finland is so high and the Netherlands so low? Lois In Finland's case, there's the Finno-Ugrian suicide hypothesis; I have a link but the program says it's spam. In short, the hypothesis states that people from Finno-Ugric backgrounds could have a genetic predisposition to suicide. Hmm. Sounds unlikely to me. One way to prove or disprove the premise is to survey Finno-Ugric people who live outside Finland to see if their suicide rates are similar. If not, it's something other than genetic. Loishttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finno-Ugrian_suicide_hypothesis I can post it now. The Finno Ugric peoples don't only live in Finland, though. They're scattered around central-eastern Europe and northwest Asia. According to the linked data, all the Finno Ugric peoples have a higher rate of suicide, compared to their neighbors. It's still only a hypothesis. It's interesting enough to investigate further, though. There may be confounding factors not yet considered. Lois
Except Finland... don't bother. Suicides per 100,000 Finland 16.9 (2011) USA 12.0 (2009) Norway 11.9 (2011)N Canada 11.5 (2009) Denmark 11.3 (2010) Sweden 11.1 (2010) Switzerland 11.1 (2009) Netherlands 8.8 (2010) Excerpt from here]. (I took Switzerland and the Netherlands on it because I am Dutch but living in Switzerland). I only know I like the Danish and Swedes very much, but that are just holiday experiences. Anyone have a guess as to why Finland is so high and the Netherlands so low? Yep. Marijuana has been legal in Holland for many years. Happiness and good-will abounds in the Netherlands. Lois
Anyone have a guess as to why Finland is so high and the Netherlands so low?
Just a guess: when countries get over-organised, suicide rates increase compared to slightlier more chaotic and liberal countries in which not everything has its place and you must do something to find your place. You need the right dose of ingredients... A bit of care, a bit of existential security, a bit of freedom, etc etc. Don't ask me for empirical support for this idea.
Just a guess: when countries get over-organised, suicide rates increase compared to slightlier more chaotic and liberal countries in which not everything has its place and you must do something to find your place. You need the right dose of ingredients... A bit of care, a bit of existential security, a bit of freedom, etc etc. Don't ask me for empirical support for this idea.Yes! This is my (unscientific) opinion as well.
Just forgot one factor: more restrictive gun laws in the Netherlands than in Finland... %-P For a little support of the previous points, see Why the Happiest States Have the Highest Suicide Rates]

Mid Atlantic wrote, “The Finno Ugric peoples don’t only live in Finland, though. They’re scattered around central-eastern Europe and northwest Asia. According to the linked data, all the Finno Ugric peoples have a higher rate of suicide, compared to their neighbors.”
Do you have a citation for that?

Lois