News?

Fox News is towering over the competition. Its total viewership surpassed CNN and MSNBC combined, with the gap increasing even further during prime time. Fox even surpassed its own record, coming up 6 percent in prime time viewers from this time last year. It’s great news for the cable network, which saw a slight decline in 2013 but now appears poised to regain that ground and more.

I’m not surprised that CNN suffered a decline. It has become completely useless, HNN, even more so. Half the time all evening hours are filled with old series repeats or repeated “specials.” What does surprise me is that the slack was taken up with Faux News. Is the American public really that ignorant?
Lois

Fox News is towering over the competition. Its total viewership surpassed CNN and MSNBC combined, with the gap increasing even further during prime time. Fox even surpassed its own record, coming up 6 percent in prime time viewers from this time last year. It’s great news for the cable network, which saw a slight decline in 2013 but now appears poised to regain that ground and more. http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/28/cable-wars-becomes-massacre-fox-dominates-as-cnn-suffers-huge-decline/ I'm not surprised that CNN suffered a decline. It has become completely useless, HNN, even more so. Half the time all evening hours are filled with old series repeats or repeated "specials." What does surprise me is that the slack was taken up with Faux News. Is the American public really that ignorant? Lois
Yes, it is. It'll be interesting though to see how the ratings change as Fox's key demographic, I'm assuming old white folks, start to die off.

How many people under the age of 40 still get their news from a TV broadcast? I haven’t wached a TV news broadcast in at least 10 years. I read news online and try to be very selective of what is, and is not news. The Fox News demographic’s days are numbered as are those of people who still watch what passes for news on any TV broadcast network.

I saw a poll recently that showed viewers of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report we’re the best informed on current news stories. They were more informed and knew the facts better than people who watched other news outlets. It almost goes without saying that viewers of Fox News were the least informed and the most inaccurate, according to this poll.

News? from FOX? Why would anyone want to watch O’Reilly or Hannity set up then tear down strawmen ? There’s no news on FOX, only rumor, innuendo and human interest stories intended to put their elderly and and politically disfunctional viewers on a daily “alert” (see spinny alert symbol at bottom right of screen). It’s a shock jock TV show for heaven’s sakes! There’s no news analysis without a right wing twist. I miss the old news shows without the commentary, but the best place for real news is in the papers or online and not just American papers. Try the BBC for example, or other foreign news services. TV news is primarily for those who have enough time to finish a cup of coffee before running to work. Remember CNN’s motto, “Give us fifteen minutes and we’ll give you the World”. That ain’t news, it’s just a snippet.
Cap’t Jack

Fox News is towering over the competition. Its total viewership surpassed CNN and MSNBC combined, with the gap increasing even further during prime time. Fox even surpassed its own record, coming up 6 percent in prime time viewers from this time last year. It’s great news for the cable network, which saw a slight decline in 2013 but now appears poised to regain that ground and more. http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/28/cable-wars-becomes-massacre-fox-dominates-as-cnn-suffers-huge-decline/ I'm not surprised that CNN suffered a decline. It has become completely useless, HNN, even more so. Half the time all evening hours are filled with old series repeats or repeated "specials." What does surprise me is that the slack was taken up with Faux News. Is the American public really that ignorant? Lois In a word yes, and the worst part of the ignornace is because it is mostly willful.

You’re looking at percentages. Overall, all broadcast news is declining

If there’s any bad news for Fox, it’s that, like the rest of cable news, their numbers continue to fall compared to the previous year. In total viewers, the network was down 20% in total day and 16% in primetime compared to Q2 2013. That’s not as precipitous as CNN’s fall over the same period, but it’s far worse than MSNBC’s. In the demo, the network had its lowest quarterly performance since Q2 2001.
Fox is making some gains in the short term as the other networks put less effort in trying to stay alive. Maybe someday they'll have a 100%, but that will be 100% of three old guys who can't remember their own name.