New!

Hello all,
East coast engineer and computer scientist (Mostly… it pays the bills)
Scientific: Many, Non linear systems, chaos theory, AI, cosmology…
Philosophical interests include hard determinism and atheism.
Is it possible to examine the mind with the mind?
Sociological: Extensions of above, does government by majority rule follow the rules of a chaotic system? What are the ramifications?
Politics: I will let the readers determine for themselves.
I have read some of the discussions and they seem quite interesting. The game is afoot.

Welcome. I’m looking forward to your participation. And, should I ask what materials go to make up your azeotrope? :slight_smile:
Occam

Is it possible to examine the mind with the mind? The game is afoot.
Only to a degree. But if one had to come up with a general yes or no answer the answer would definitely be NO! Hello Azeo. That was an introductory/welcome response. It doesn't mean I wanna go 10-15 pages on the subject. :lol:
Only to a degree. But if one had to come up with a general yes or no answer the answer would definitely be NO! Hello Azeo. That was an introductory/welcome response. It doesn't mean I wanna go 10-15 pages on the subject. :lol: Oh yeah I know how that can happen. Sometimes you feel compelled to analyze each point; having to prove your position ad nauseam. It can get tiresome. What is the standard simile? Like Examining a microscope with a microscope? Thanks for the welcome.
Only to a degree. But if one had to come up with a general yes or no answer the answer would definitely be NO! Hello Azeo. That was an introductory/welcome response. It doesn't mean I wanna go 10-15 pages on the subject. :lol: Oh yeah I know how that can happen. Sometimes you feel compelled to analyze each point; having to prove your position ad nauseam. It can get tiresome. What is the standard simile? Like Examining a microscope with a microscope? Thanks for the welcome. Cool. Hope you stick around. There's very few times anyone can prove points here. It's dig in and don't retreat. I don't know what the technical phrase is for it but alot of times it seems people have to counter someone else's point just because it's there. I think most people agree on most stuff, it's just the language/communication(esp. in a Forum setting) that gets in the way. Peace out.

Interesting comments, Vy. Probably a number of reasons drive discussion in that way. One is as a game to try to prove one is more clever that someone else. A second is to help one think through and clarify in his/her mind his/her own ideas. A third is just to communicate because once an idea is proposed and a someone posts that s/he agrees with it, there’s not much more that person can add. A fourth is that the original or responding poster thinks s/he’s really imparting information to the less knowledgeable. Fifth, it’s just fun to carry on a conversation. :lol:
Occam

Interesting comments, Vy. Probably a number of reasons drive discussion in that way. One is as a game to try to prove one is more clever that someone else. A second is to help one think through and clarify in his/her mind his/her own ideas. A third is just to communicate because once an idea is proposed and a someone posts that s/he agrees with it, there's not much more that person can add. A fourth is that the original or responding poster thinks s/he's really imparting information to the less knowledgeable. Fifth, it's just fun to carry on a conversation. :lol: Occam
Yes Occam. I always wonder about what drives discussions. All 5 of the things you list here are ones I've considered.
Interesting comments, Vy. Probably a number of reasons drive discussion in that way. One is as a game to try to prove one is more clever that someone else. A second is to help one think through and clarify in his/her mind his/her own ideas. A third is just to communicate because once an idea is proposed and a someone posts that s/he agrees with it, there's not much more that person can add. A fourth is that the original or responding poster thinks s/he's really imparting information to the less knowledgeable. Fifth, it's just fun to carry on a conversation. :lol: Occam
Yes Occam. I always wonder about what drives discussions. All 5 of the things you list here are ones I've considered. The last one is my reason for engaging in these groups. I like to communicate with people on various subjects and levels, even when, and sometimes especially when, a juicy argument ensues. Lois
Interesting comments, Vy. Probably a number of reasons drive discussion in that way. One is as a game to try to prove one is more clever that someone else. A second is to help one think through and clarify in his/her mind his/her own ideas. A third is just to communicate because once an idea is proposed and a someone posts that s/he agrees with it, there’s not much more that person can add. A fourth is that the original or responding poster thinks s/he’s really imparting information to the less knowledgeable. Fifth, it’s just fun to carry on a conversation. Occam
I'll go with two and five. The second reason is primarily why I'm here in the first place, seeking clarification of ideas, having them challenged and defending them, hence debate, a skill that I really needed to sharpen. The fifth speaks for itself, and this place beats the hell outta Facebook. Cap't Jack
Welcome. I'm looking forward to your participation. And, should I ask what materials go to make up your azeotrope? :) Occam
Much of my early work involved distillation of natural products to high purity; azeotropes were a frequent challenge. Moreover the etymology is Greek, to boil without change. That seems appropriate for many discussions/arguments. No matter how hot it gets, there will be no change.

Yeah, as I dimly recall in beginning organic we had to strip the water out of an ethanol water mixture by adding benzene and distilling thus forming an azeotrope with the three components which boiled off at a lower temperature than the straight alcohol.
Hmmm are you suggesting that a sixth reason could be called discussion azeotroping?
Occam

You mean none of us is going to admit to one and four? :lol:
Occam

You mean none of us is going to admit to one and four? :lol: Occam
I will. There's more than just those 5 too.(see, I'm doing 1 and 4 right now! :lol: )

Ok, I’m gonna go with four too. Denying it would be hypocritical anyway. I mean where would you guys be without my enlightening original posts and clever repostes. Oh hell, that was number one. Ok, number one and uh, ok in for a penny, all of em. :cheese:
Cap’t Jack

I should add 6) an opportunity to make wise ass comments. :lol:
Occam

Yes. Never forget the opportunity to use sarcasm. :lol:

I should add 6) an opportunity to make wise ass comments. Occam
I'm gonna take wise ass comments for $200.00 Alex, I mean Occam! :-) Cap't Jack