In case you haven’t been keeping up with the latest attempt to interject Christianity and conservative ideals into the classroom, the Texas School board approved a new and “improved” Social Studies text including:
- Moses influenced the Founding Fathers to create a government based on the laws he, oops God created.
- Slavery wasn’t really the cause of the Civil War; it was States Rights after all.
- Students are encouraged to question the legitimacy of the Establishment Clause separating government from religion
- Slide creationism in by introducing the idea that it is compatible with evolution.
- Downplaying Jeffersonion ideals based on the Enlightenment (the claim that Jefferson’s ideas weren’t relevant is spurious BTW)
Here’s just a few, and these were pushed by Don McLeroy, an ardent conservative Christian, dentist and member of the Board. With so few textbook publishers around today, many States purchase the books and use them in their classrooms, thus spreading the conservative agenda Nationwide. Some States are refusing to adopt these Conservatively tainted books and the NEA is also opposing their use. This has been an on-going controversy since 2010 when it was first proposed. This isn’t education; it’s indoctrination.