Creationism and Politics

Creationism isn’t just an ideology – it’s a weapon of political control
Gayatri Devi
There is an appeal to creationism for certain people: it lies in the ability to submit to a myth without reflection, debate or real understanding. But the ultimate goal in promoting it as a point of legitimate pedagogical inquiry appears to be to coerce the obedience of a superstitious civic collective under a socially and politically regressive leadership.

42% of Americans believe that the world was created 10,000 years ago?
No wonder we are so F’d up.

42% of Americans believe that the world was created 10,000 years ago? No wonder we are so F'd up.
Yes, and that dinosaurs and humans inhabited the world together, just like on the Flintstones. And that Noah took Dinosaurs on the ark, or as one fundie explained it, they took dinosaur eggs. So much easier to handle.
42% of Americans believe that the world was created 10,000 years ago? No wonder we are so F'd up.
Yes, and that dinosaurs and humans inhabited the world together, just like on the Flintstones. And that Noah took Dinosaurs on the ark, or as one fundie explained it, they took dinosaur eggs. So much easier to handle. I guess the eggs broke, or the Noah family got hungry and had a big breakfast one day. (To think I bought that crap about a meteor causing the extinction of the dinosaurs 60 million years ago. Whew! I'm so gullible, sometimes.)
I guess the eggs broke, or the Noah family got hungry and had a big breakfast one day. (To think I bought that crap about a meteor causing the extinction of the dinosaurs 60 million years ago. Whew! I’m so gullible, sometimes.)
But what about the Unicorns? Where did they go? They had to be on the ark because the Bible mentions them in 8 separate passages. Also, where did Noah store the dragons mentioned too, maybe in the basement so they could keep the Ark warm with their fiery breath. And how did all the animals replicate because you need more than a pair to create a gene pool. Was it cross species mating that kept them alive, like a frog and a donkey, a fronkey? Or a giraffe and a rabbit, a grabbit? Boy, that Bible is just chocked full of miracles. Next they'll be writing about a talking flaming bush and a woman who's impregnated by some god. Cap't Jack
I guess the eggs broke, or the Noah family got hungry and had a big breakfast one day. (To think I bought that crap about a meteor causing the extinction of the dinosaurs 60 million years ago. Whew! I’m so gullible, sometimes.)
But what about the Unicorns? Where did they go? They had to be on the ark because the Bible mentions them in 8 separate passages. Also, where did Noah store the dragons mentioned too, maybe in the basement so they could keep the Ark warm with their fiery breath. And how did all the animals replicate because you need more than a pair to create a gene pool. Was it cross species mating that kept them alive, like a frog and a donkey, a fronkey? Or a giraffe and a rabbit, a grabbit? Boy, that Bible is just chocked full of miracles. Next they'll be writing about a talking flaming bush and a woman who's impregnated by some god. Cap't Jack
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, and I might be George W. The unicorns referred to were one horned rhinoceros. The dragons referred to were some forms of dinosaurs and Satan, of course. As far as gene pools, you get your mama and daddy animals mating with their offspring, all the siblings interbreeding, a few mutations here and there, and before you know it, you have a gene puddle.

The statistic from the gallop poll is not nearly so depressing if you click the link in the article and read the actual study results. The trends are in our favor.

The statistic from the gallop poll is not nearly so depressing if you click the link in the article and read the actual study results. The trends are in our favor.
I clicked the link, and remain rather dumbfounded at the absurdity, and not optimistic about it at all. The trend line for Americans who believe that God created humans in their present form has been remarkably stable. It was more than 4 in 10 in 1982. It is still more than 4 in 10. In all that time it ranged from 40 % at the lowest and 47% at the highest.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, and I might be George W. The unicorns referred to were one horned rhinoceros. The dragons referred to were some forms of dinosaurs and Satan, of course. As far as gene pools, you get your mama and daddy animals mating with their offspring, all the siblings interbreeding, a few mutations here and there, and before you know it, you have a gene puddle.
Actually Tim, I believe it was the Humans who were inbred. Wasn’t Noah caught having sex with his daughters (thus starting the first Fundie cult) and that’s how the whole human race is related? Please don’t try to change my mind with facts. Unicorns and God generated rainbows sent as a sign are mentioned in this story so they must be true. Well, because God.
Cap’t Jack

There should be some award for inanity–the Guardian would come in first place.

Actually Tim, I believe it was the Humans who were inbred. Wasn't Noah caught having sex with his daughters (thus starting the first Fundie cult) and that's how the whole human race is related? Please don't try to change my mind with facts. Unicorns and God generated rainbows sent as a sign are mentioned in this story so they must be true. Well, because God. Cap't Jack
Yes, humans were inbred. The existence of modern day Republicans are evidence of that. The Noah story must be true.

Who’s up for more disheartening news? No one? Too bad. You’re getting it anyway. According to a survey done last year, 1 in 4 Americans thinks the sun revolves around the Earth . I’m proud to be an American… shoots self in head

Who's up for more disheartening news? No one? Too bad. You're getting it anyway. According to a survey done last year, 1 in 4 Americans thinks the sun revolves around the Earth . I'm proud to be an American.... *shoots self in head*
You should be proud to be an American. Only 26% of Americans gave the wrong answer. 34% of Europeans and 30% of Chinese, also got the wrong answer. USA! USA! USA! Yeah, we're stupid. But we are not the stupidest. At least not about the Earth round the sun.
There should be some award for inanity--the Guardian would come in first place.
The Guardian is simply passing on the results of reliable poll results, interesting, though disheartening, ones. We should want to know what people are "thinking." Don't shoot the messenger.
But what about the Unicorns? Where did they go?
The Unicorn Song] Seems some Irishmen wondered the same thing when I was a wee lad.
But what about the Unicorns? Where did they go?
The Unicorn Song] Seems some Irishmen wondered the same thing when I was a wee lad. Those fine lookin lads singin bout the demise of the selly unicorns... the share poignancy brings a tare to me eye.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, and I might be George W. The unicorns referred to were one horned rhinoceros. In the middle east? The dragons referred to were some forms of dinosaurs and Satan, of course. As far as gene pools, you get your mama and daddy animals mating with their offspring, all the siblings interbreeding, a few mutations here and there, and before you know it, you have a gene puddle.
Who’s up for more disheartening news? No one? Too bad. You’re getting it anyway. According to a survey done last year, 1 in 4 Americans thinks the sun revolves around the Earth . I’m proud to be an American…. *shoots self in head*
Wait, what? The sun doesn't revolve around the Earth? Damn, what am I going to do with my Armillary sphere? Also, You know that one guy who believes this? Well, he didn't pay attention in class, too busy drawing pictures of hot cars. And here's another alarming statistic, only 27% of Americans have a degree beyond a high school diploma. And since Texas has revised the History books by omitting facts, will they do the same to astronomy texts? Cap't Jack
Who’s up for more disheartening news? No one? Too bad. You’re getting it anyway. According to a survey done last year, 1 in 4 Americans thinks the sun revolves around the Earth . I’m proud to be an American…. *shoots self in head*
Wait, what? The sun doesn't revolve around the Earth? Damn, what am I going to do with my Armillary sphere? Also, You know that one guy who believes this? Well, he didn't pay attention in class, too busy drawing pictures of hot cars. And here's another alarming statistic, only 27% of Americans have a degree beyond a high school diploma. And since Texas has revised the History books by omitting facts, will they do the same to astronomy texts? Cap't Jack
Astronomy texts in high school? If they wasted money on trivial things like that Texas high school football teams would have to take unairconditioned buses to away games.
... The unicorns referred to were one horned rhinoceros. In the middle east?
Yeah, knew about one horned rhinoceri(sp?) in northern Africa. Hey! are you trying to undermine my faith?