My half-racist son.

I’m not, and never did disagree that putting a few of the statues, built between 1890 and 1950, into museums, and the history of how they were built in the Jim Crow era, and their purpose of trying to paint the old south in a better light.

Actually, from my African-American studies, the North wasn’t much better. Many ex-slaves and some of their descendents went north after freedom and found it was just as bad, if not worse than the South and ended up moving back to the South. The Green Book touched on some of this, with Sundown towns even in the North and West. So it wasn’t just the South that was a problem, but the question is, which I’m still not sure of the answer, is “why did they move back to the South?” The answer isn’t as clear as one may think. So the whole of the U.S. isn’t very hospitable to people as colour. No area is better than another.

When I warn you about violating CFI rules, that’s what I’m doing. The rules here are designed for reasonable scientific inquiry. You operate somewhere near the edge of that, mostly expressing opinions that are not supportable, regardless of how popular you think they are.

And I get specific. The thing about 58 genders for example. You are repeating memes, not discussing scientific views on gender.

Hyperbolic statements like this are a good example:

Yes, but in my defense, you didn’t use the big blue text of doom in doing so, so I wasn’t aware of such things going on.

You may think my statement is being hyperbolic, but it really isn’t if you do a little navigating in current events on the left.

@lausten I have a question for you on your perspective on leftists vs those on the right. Do you see both parties the same way that I do. I see the left as being the group of change, and the right as being the group of tradition. Instead of demonizing one group over the other, I think it’s important to understand that not all change is good any more than maintaining bad ideas is good.

Is this how you view the leftists vs the right or do you have a different viewpoint. I’d be interested to read your perspective on this. I’m not here to win any points in a game where everyone dislikes me, so my question is genuine.

I wish the best for your son and you but he doesn’t have a “white blood line”, as you call it. He never did, never will and neither does any of his relatives, not one, because there is no such creature on planet earth as a “white man” or “white woman”. Clouds are white, milk is white, snow is white, and cotton is white. There are no white human beings. We are all brown and vary from light to dark brown with every shade of color between. If you make the unconvincing argument that “it’s just a handy and unoffensive phrase to delineate racial features” your not taking into account the underlying motivation for using these racial labels. The unspoken inference when using these terms is to categorize individuals as generally being desirable or less desirable. “White” has always had a cultural connotation of describing something as pure, untainted and unadulterated. “Black” has generally had a negative inference associated with it as ignorance and “dark” forces being at work.
All humans, past and present are descended from the line of “Genus Homo” and all humans are descended from one bloodline, Other than red, this bloodline is colorless.

Again, I agree @write4u. The North believed all humans should be free, while the South wanted to enslave anyone not a male WASP. Ok so I’m stretching a bit, but not by much because they did try to enslave Native Americans too.

@mriana Not everything about the south was about the slaves. The north hated black people just as much. Yeah they didn’t get the free slave labor, but everyone in the north treated black people like shit long and beyond the civil war. These northern heroes were no better than the south because they still hated black people. Show me anything where the north supported black people after 1865. Since 1865, what progress had the North made to make things better?

From a French point of view, i would say that, halas, racism is one of the best shared ideology.

In most of European countries, to express racist ideas, to make racist propaganda, to discriminate, will get you in front of the courts. racism is not an opinion, it is a misdemeanor. I don’t say that European countries are perfect.

As i see history, 3 facts:

During WWI, a US black regiment was sent in France. Pershing did not want to send it to fight on the front because many white American soldiers refused to perform combat duty with African-Americans… French army borrowed it and it fight brilliantly, winning honors.
This does not mean that French generals were not racists

[369th Infantry Regiment (United States) - Wikipedia]

During WWII, US unities were sent to UK. During their free times, soldiers went to the pubs around their camps. White US soldiers did not like that the pubs were not segregated, but many pub staffs did not accept to segregate them. And US black soldiers did learn that there could be other ways to live than segregation, even if racism was a fact in UK.

[Experiences Of Black Americans In Britain WW2 | Imperial War Museums]

And, I would not talk about that:

[Battle of Bamber Bridge - Wikipedia]

Last, between WWI and WWII, and after WWII, many US intellectual and artists discovered that Europe was a paradise for them compared to USA, even if racism was present .

Just two names:

Josephine Baker and Richard Wright;

[Josephine Baker - Wikipedia](

One may criticize J. Baker shows as emphasizing the racial stereotypes but she was a victim of segregation and fought it.

For instance:

[Eloquence, les discours qui ont marqué l'Histoire #5 - Pau]

Richard Wright went to live in Europa:

[Richard Wright (author) - Wikipedia]

And i don’t say that there is no racism in France…

Now, about USA as seen from France: Racism and segregation are embedded in US history and law and are still are. But true progresses have been made.

Progresses have been made in law, progresses have been made socially, even if it far from perfect.